12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2012 9:36 AM by robbytobby Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Error connecting to Slingbox

dutchbloke50

Hi - my first post on any forum!

My slingbox appears OK solid network and power light.

During setup process I get as far as the square with my sling box available but the I get error connecting to your slinbox.

I have checked all connections and renewed all my network cables.  Updated Java. Checked all the settings on my router.Rest sling box etc

In fact I got all the way through the process one time as far as configuring the remote.  I was actually watching TV!!  then it failed on the last hurdle.

Now I get as far as seeing my slingbox and then i get the error message.  I have spent days on this and don't know where to turn.

Basically get as far as a green light and Local Network (available)

If I get as far as I did that one time then maybe something is wrong with the setup web site?

Any ideas would be gratefully recieved . Thanks

• Re: Error connecting to Slingbox
          brez717

Have you had any further success? Or anyone offer any suggestions?

I'm experiencing similar. I have SOLID lights. I can connect occasionally, but then never get to complete anything, either viewing or setup.

This morning I was able to connect and was attempting to setup internet viewing. I got 80% complete and then rec'd an "error connecting" message! So frustrating.

I want to love this service, but I can't even get it to work.

caliman123

Hi,

I am having the same problem. If you find a solution, please let us know.

Thanks!

operator1101

I am also having this problem.

1. Reset the Slingbox Solo to factor defaults

2. Confirmed in my router that the Slingbox was given an IP address.

3. Slingbox has SOLID network and power lights.

4. Launch the Slingbox setup (web app) and it LISTS my Slingbox but fails to connect.

4a. Treid to troubleshoot by launching Slingbox setup from IE9, IE9 (Compatibility Mode), Firefox 11

Suggestions?

operator1101

Are we ever going to get some feedback on this issue? A quick search of the forums shows that this exact issue is happening to multiple users and not just a select few.

A bit of troubleshooting that I have done:

- Reset Slingbox Solo to factory defaults (Followed the exact steps in the video)

- Logged into my Router, found the Slingbox Solo's new IP address as leased by the DHCP.

- Used the SlingPlayer v2.04.521, input my UN/PW.

- FOUND the Slingbox (labeled MySlingbox) in the Slingbox Directory. Clicked Connect and it failed with the error message "There was a problem communicating with the Slingbox. Try connecting again."

- Okay, maybe it's just the SlingPlayer and I should use the web interface. Open Firefox 11

- Log into my account at slingbox.com, use the Setup web tool as the help videos suggests.

- Web interface FINDS MySlingbox but guess what, exact same error message as noted in the SlingPlayer.

- Okay, maybe it's just Firefox 11, Open Internet Explorer 9 and set it back to it's default settings.

- Log into my account at slingbox.com, use the Setup web tool as the help videos suggests.

- Web interface FINDS MySlingbox but guess what, exact same error message as noted in the SlingPlayer.

- Okay, maybe it's just Internet Explorer 9. Use my laptop and open Internet Explorer 8 and set it back to default settings.

Can I get some answers from the Slingbox tech crew for a product I PAID for? 

Apprentice

Hi dutchbloke50,

It seems that you are having some issues with your Slingbox SOLO since although it shows solid lights and seems to be properly configured, you cannot get the remote connection.

The fact that the unit shows solid lights means that it is a healthy unit. With this in mind, I recommend you to test the connection on a different computer (if possible) since the issue might be related to the security software running on that specific computer.  
                  The following article will provide you with further indications to follow:

Internet security and personal firewalls

Hope this helps!

Regards.

robbytobby

I have the same problem on my Windows 7 laptop. Slingbox can't connect, neither the webplayer nor the installed software player.

After reading ranaleon's hint, i tried it with an old Vista machine in the same network and indeed it works fine! But i don't know wheres the problem. Win 7 Firewall is active and Eset Nod32 antivirus software. I disabled both for testing, but I still get no picture. Might this issue appear due to a Win 7 security update? There are really a lot of users where that problem suddenly appeared, there must be a reason! Everything worked fine for me on the same machine until about 2 months ago.

Best regards

operator1101

Success!

Okay, I used VirtualBox to create a new Windows XP SP3 VM. In the VM I am able to access my Slingbox Solo but not from any of my Windows 7 machines. The irony is that the XP vm is running inside a Win7 machine..haha.

After running the Slingbox Setup the Solo unit runs a firmware update. After that firmware update I am finally able to access the Solo from my Windows 7 machines!

PS. Make sure you are using the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer!

robbytobby

Thanks for your answer. Unfortunately there is no upgrade for my slingbox available.

Still can't get access from my Win 7 machine, only from the Vista Ultimate machine. That sucks!

operator1101

Hey Robby, I'm still having an issue on my primary workstation as well. I've got 2 machines, Primary: Win7, Laptop: Win7/Ubuntu

I got it working on the Laptop Win7 and a VM of XP SP3. Must be something installed on my primary workstation Win7. The primary workstation has Comodo Firewall and ESET NOD32 v5. After some testing I watch Slingplayer try to connect in my firewall logs, I see the outbound TCP connection but it just doesn't connect. I'm going to see if I can replicate the issue on my laptop Win7 by first installing ESET v5 and testing then installing Comodo and testing.

For testing so far I have disabled the firewall and it connected once through firefox but then wouldn't connect again. hmm....

I'll let ya know what happens.

robbytobby

Thanks for your answer, perhaps we get closer to the problem. I have nod32 installed as well. As firewall I use the Windows Firewall. What I tried was disabling both but that took no effect. I did not yet try to uninstall it. I'm not at home now but if you try to set up a clean system you could try it without installing nod32!

operator1101

Figured it out. The problem is ESET NOD32. Even when you disable ESET it's actually still working it's just not flagging any content. What you need to do is:

1) Enter Advanced Setup

2) expand Web & Email

3) expand Protocol Filtering

4) goto Excluded Applications

5) Locate the Slingbox applications (there may be more than 1) and check them off.

6) Click OK and test Slingbox

See my screen-capture for reference:

http://bayimg.com/AaPmgaADD

robbytobby

You are awsome! That's it!

The SlingPlayer as installed software works now. Actually the software is not supported anymore and Slingmedia wants us to use the web application. To get this to work, you have to uncheck the firefox plugin-container in the nod32 settings. But as long as the Slingplayer software works, I will use it!