7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2012 10:21 PM by uk1 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Why the high cost for the ipad app?

ACC553519

Maybe I'm just cheap but it burns me to have to pay for this. I can watch by opening a browser on a laptop but open a browser on a tablet and it costs $30. SMH.

HBO has a free app, Comcast/Xfinity has a free app  If the slingbox app cost $5 I would have bought it without thinking twice but $30. I think I'll pass and watch the free apps. It's not the money so much as the feeling of getting bent over a barrel.

• Re: Why the high cost for the ipad app?
          uk1

The high cost of the app is bad enough - but at least we can choose to buy it or not.  But when it doesn't work with the products they say it does on it's web site - and then not reply to questions about it - then it feels dissapointing for a company that I have so far admired and chosen to be a customer of.

whassebrock

UK1 has hit the nail on the head. It is not the high price of the software, it is the fact that the SlingBox Solo system (hardware/firmware/software) doesn't work as advertised -- and SlingBox itself doesn't ackowledge this or even seem to care.

I am a longtime SlingBox customer who has always been impressed with the company and its technology -- until I bought the SlingBox Solo and the software that was supposed to make it work. When I "upgraded" to SlingBox Solo (no special price for an existing customer. My old SlingBox sits useless on a shelf), I was astonished to discover that the software needed to make it work as advertised was not included in the price. From the dawn of the PC age, the software that makes computer-related  devices work, from mice to PCs themselves, has almost always been provided in the original package and included the purchase price, all part of the system. A device that needs software but doesn't come with it is little more than a paperweight.

But OK. Having already purchased the paperweight I shelled out for the software to turn it into a SlingBox. But to my astonishment, the software was very poorly designed and incredibly buggy. But that was just the half of it. I was flabbergasted to discover that although I was able to use the buggy, braindead software on my iPad and Samsung Galaxy SII, I was not and never have been able to use it on my laptop despite repeated unsuccessful efforts to get support from SlingBox.

As I have written here on several occasions over the last several months, what is particularly galling is that no one at SlingBox seems to care that their product is not only over-hyped and over priced but spectacularly defective. I am the CEO of an IT company and can only assume that SlingBox has found itself in a potentially company-destroying situation: vast liability for an untold number of products that don't work as advertised (not even close) and cannot be made to work. The SlingBox Solo system seems to have a massive, incurable flaw that compromises every system that has been sold. SlingBox is not a large company, so recalling the systems and replacing them with systems that work would probably not be economically feasible, perhaps even the death of the company. Consequently, the company appears to have adopted the ostriche strategy: stick your head in the sand and hope the problem goes away somehow. But, ironically, that strategy will destroy the company much faster than a defective product.

You should read my post quickly because the manager of this forum, rather than providing an intelligent reply or reasonable rebuttable, has just quickly deleted my previous posts. Resistance is futile in the SlingBox borg.

uk1

I agree totoally.

Sadly hosting a forum for product related questions but then either ignoring the questions or deleting the comments isn't a sign of good health.

It may be that the answers are not what we wish to hear- but I'm an adult and can deal with dissapointments - I just want an answer.

Apprentice

Hi bill616,

It seems that you are having some issues with your Slingbox SOLO.

First off, the SlingPlayer for Android phones and the SlingPlayer for iPhone applications are designed to work with the Slingbox SOLO and the Slingbox PRO-HD. If you check the following links, you will find further details that will support this specific situation:

SlingPlayer for Android Phones

SlingPlayer for iPhone

If you are having some issues in order to get the Slingbox SOLO and the aforementioned SlingPlayer applications up and running, I encourage you to give us a call as soon as possible. We will be more than willing to assist you in order to fix this issue as long as it is a Slingbox-related issue. The following link will provide you with the contact information. Just make sure to check the available options on the right hand side of the screen:

Contact Sling Media Support

Hope this helps!

Regards.

alanrichey42 Master

A very detailed rant, but a bit short on specifics.   As a very happy user of 2 x Solos in 2 different countries, both on laptops and on my iPad I might be able to help.   Can you a bit more specific on the problems you are having ?

When I "upgraded" to SlingBox Solo (no special price for an existing customer. My old SlingBox sits useless on a shelf)

My Classic is still working well.  I just have to accept I cannot view it using the iPad app.   Works fine on PC/Laptop/iPhone/iPad using iPhone app though

I was astonished to discover that the software needed to make it work as advertised was not included in the price. From the dawn of the PC age, the software that makes computer-related  devices work, from mice to PCs themselves, has almost always been provided in the original package and included the purchase price, all part of the system. A device that needs software but doesn't come with it is little more than a paperweight.

I take your point, but it's a bit exaggerated.  All the software you need to run on a PC is free, so it isn't really a paperweight.  But I agree it was a PR own-goal to charge for the Mobile apps.

But OK. Having already purchased the paperweight I shelled out for the software to turn it into a SlingBox. But to my astonishment, the software was very poorly designed and incredibly buggy.

Specific bugs ?

I was not and never have been able to use it on my laptop despite repeated unsuccessful efforts to get support from SlingBox

Again, specific problem ?

Cheers

Al

ACC553519

I am very new to the world of tablets and smart phones. I haven't looked at the price of very many apps but $30 is by far the highest priced app I've seen. So my original question holds.

Why is the price of the app 5 times higher than any other app on the market?