16 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2010 10:24 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Help with sling player remote needed.

clarkjwc

Sling player is working well from SB and DN vip-722K except for ---

I can use my Windows 7 Media Center remote for most keys

except the 'Select'. The 'OK' on the remote does not activate the Select, I have to use the

mouse.

Is there an .ini file were I can add a code to add to make the translate between the "OK" key

and 'Select' on the virtual remote?

John

• Re: Help with sling player remote needed.
          alanrichey42 Master

No, what you get is what Sling have decided on when they designed the Remote.

But I must admit to being surprised.   In this Thread sling box  solo and virtual remote for dishnetwork VIP722K won't work  we have been working on producing a Custom Remote that will work on Remote Addresses other than the default of 1.    And no-one has reported a problem such as yours.

If you want, I can produce a Custom Remote for you based on my guess, although we can always 'tweak' the file later if the problem still occurs.  Let me know.

Al

clarkjwc

Al,

your help would be appreciated.

Yes If you could build a virtual remote for the 722K and have it work with

my Media Center remote, that would be GREAT!

The Sling 722K remote is working well with a mouse on the PC sling viewer.

With my Microsoft Media Center remote all of the DVR keys respond.

the up,dn.lf.rt work too. The  keys that I must use the mouse are the

"OK"-- Select key and DVR key. You could map the DVR key to any of the Red,Blue,Green,Yellow keys.

I have both a Hup and an HP WMC remote that work the same.

I found an old Dish 501 remote, but nothing works from that. I do see the IR receiver flash,

but I know there is no ini file info on my PC for this.

Thanks

John

alanrichey42 Master

OK, here is a basic remote.  Although I suspect the same problem will occur.  Which of the Custom Buttons is the DVR ?

Al

clarkjwc

Al,

I will try this when I have people on both ends in case I have problems.

Remember the 722K remote working now is correct for all keys using the Mouse.

All the keys including Select and PVR work well.  It is only my WMC remote

that does not map all keys to the virtual 722k remote.

The OK key does not map to the Select key and there is no match for the 722 PVR

key on my WMC remote.

Does this new file allow for the PC to virtual remote mapping? The SB to DVR is ok.

John

clarkjwc

Al,

I'm using Windows-7, so the files down loaded and I copied to the listed SBAV folder.

I did a properties and made sure that all Users have FULL abilities ( for the time).

I worked trough all the screens.  Selected Satellite Receiver, provider DishNetwork,

Denver zip, Manufacture -- Other.  The Model stuck on Other, it never opened for a search

or manual input of the S2010.

What did I do wrong?

John

alanrichey42 Master

There won't be  search option, 'Other' is fine as the model selection.   Is there not a 'Next' button to move onto the next screen ?

clarkjwc

Al,

I tried a second PC (my laptop) and got the same result.

I did manufacture 'other' and model 'other', it then asked me for the IR Code number. A pick list from 1 to 35.

I had no idea what the IR code to use.

When I did manufacture of Dish and model 'other' it activated but with no remote!?

I would think that at some time one of the pick lists should show S2010?

Have you tried this on your machine?

I will go back to look to see of S2010 shows up on the manufacture or model lists.

John

clarkjwc

OK !!

I got the generic black remote.

I had to do Other on Manufacture, Other on model.

and then scroll down all the way on IR code to 'Custom'.

On this I entered S2010.

I will now go test this virtual remote against my real WMC remote.

John

alanrichey42 Master

clarkjwc wrote:

I had to do Other on Manufacture, Other on model.

and then scroll down all the way on IR code to 'Custom'.

On this I entered S2010.

Just like I describe in the README file

clarkjwc

Al,

it has been some time since I need to remember to RTFM.

OK, this remote has the same and more problems.

The OK on the real remote does not match the Select on the virtual remote. I must use the mouse.

There is no key that I could find that mapped to the 'PVR' key on the Dish remote

to any key on the generic.

So --

We can look on the Internet to find the codes common to the Microsoft Media Center remotes

and map them to the generic virtual remote, or better net a copy of the Dish DVR virtual remote?

I don't have sufficent knoladge about all of this to know if this is just a PC thing or Sling work.

What can we do?

Should I look for an IR key reader, something that can display the codes when I press the keys?

John

alanrichey42 Master

>>>it has been some time since I need to remember to RTFM.

Same here

>>>The OK on the real remote does not match the Select on the virtual remote.

>>>There is no key that I could find that mapped to the 'PVR' key on the Dish remote to any key on the generic.

If you didn't RTFM maybe you didn't try all the Custom Keys ?   According to my 'learn' Custom 17 should bring up the PVR ?  Do any of the Custom codes operate as OK ?

>>>We can look on the Internet to find the codes common to the Microsoft Media Center remotes and map them to the generic virtual remote, or better net a copy of the Dish DVR virtual remote?

You certainly can't change the Dish DVR Virtual remote (another thing in the Readme file )  and the mapping codes is very specific to the Slingbox and to JP1 compatible remotes (they use the same IR chip) so I am not confident.

>>Should I look for an IR key reader, something that can display the codes when I press the keys?

That is how I do the 'learning'.  However, as I don't have access to a real Dish remote I have to load it onto my Harmony Universal Remote and use that to 'mimic' it.   That gives me Code 16 as Select/OK and Code 57 as PVR.   Now there are also a lot of Dish Network upgrade files for programmable remotes and they all agree with those codes so I suspect you would just come up with the answer.  But do please try, you never know.

So the bottom line is that I am sure that when you try it Custom 17 will be the PVR key, and I can map that anywhere you want.  But when it comes to the Select/OK I don't know what to do other than use trial and error to try all 255 possible codes and see if one of them is triggered by the Media Center approach.  That would take hours

clarkjwc

OK Al,

I tested the custom menu with the mouse and all was as you listed.

The S2010 now has most of the functions of the 722K virtual remote.

My real problem is how to map keys from the WMC real remote

to the virtual remote on the screen.

Many physical keys do work now, all the DVR keys, direction keys, sound, Ch + -, numbers.

I think this should be a Windows function.

The IR blaster system is receiving the OK key and it works well in WMC,

I just need to find where in windows to add the translate to the proper

code that the Sling virtual remote is expecting for the 'Select' key when the mouse is used.

and maybe use the * or # on the physical remote to do the custom menu 17 function.

Do you have any expertise with the windows IR tables?

Thanks for you work Al.

John

MEB

My sling box works fine, but I now have to add a small box from my com cast to get all the channels.  Since I hooked that up, I have the box set on channel 3 and I cannot remotely change my channels.  I have to be at home and use the comcast remote to change the channels on the box.  I know this is probably simple for those who understand it, but I can only get the channel the box is set on from my remote location.  It is now set on basic cable.

Any suggestions would be approciated.  Remember, I am not real computer savy! Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

You just need to put the IR Blaster in front of the box.  You don't say what make and model the box is, but I am guessing Comcast DT 100 ?  That seems to be the most common.   Then rerun the 'Setup Video Sources' in Setup Assistant for the Co-ax input, select 'External Box' and try 'Comcast' 'DTA' and Code 4.

And do a search on this forum, there are quite a few threads about Comcast DTA boxes that will help you out.