23 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 3:26 AM by Bryanod RSS

You must have an internet connection to proceed?!

ACC1109850

Trying to get my Slingbox Pro to work correctly. Works fine on LAN, and remotely using the webplayer. Can't get windows Slingplayer 2.0 to work however - keep getting the message "You must have an internet connection to proceed".

I've tried everything I can think of - disabled antivirus, firewall, enabled DMZ (all ports open on router) and port forward port 5678 (the port Slingplayer uses).

This is driving me crazy! Please, someone help..

• Re: You must have an internet connection to proceed?!
          ACC939312

I have exactly the same problem when I log into the windows application it says the Slingbox certificate is invalid then once I enter my user name and password I get the same error message "You must have an internet connection to proceed"

Bryanod Novice

internetprop.png

Try checking this box

ACC939312

Thank you for the post.

I checked and this was already set, I have the application downloaded and installed but when I click on "log In" it let's me enter my user details but then comes back you must have an internet connection.

Any further thoughts greatfully received!

Thanks again

Bryanod Novice

Great info.  If you purposely block the sling application either via firewall, antivirus, or even a custom router rule you will not have a option to enter your login info.  However if the sling app detects a slingbox on the network it will allow a login entry.   If you unpluged your sling and started your sling app you should see that you wont reach a login offer.  Have you tried a different pc?  I suspect something on that 1 pc is your issue

ACC1109850

Thanks for the efforts guys, but I'm still getting the same problem though on all 4 pcs that I've got access to. Any further help greatly received..

thanks again!

eferz Expert

Sling's Location Services is directory on the internet.  It acts like a specialized Dynamic DNS for Slingbox.  It keeps a listing of Slingbox Accounts, IDs, and IP addresses.  Since most residential ISPs assign a dynamic IP address to thier customers, the Locator Service tracks IP information.  The IP information is gathered from an identification packet from your Slingbox.  It will intermittently send out an information packet to msg.sling.com.  The packet is sent through TCP 5678, 80, 443, 8080, 3490, 3074, 3724.  It will cycle through each port and will stop when it receives an acknowledgement.

When you use the web Slingplayer on www.sling.com, it is already propagated with the information from the Sling Location Services; however, the stand alone Slingplayer application, will get the information from 70.42.244.144:443 or 63.97.127.35:80.  (Actually its a range of IP address, which you can get from using netstat -o and matching the pid with taskmanager.)  Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone uses dish.sling.com

Anyways, there are two things you two should try.

1.  The web app: http://watch.slingbox.com/watch/sling_player  See if it works.

2.  Manually connect ot the IP address via Slingplayer 2.0 app.

Command Bar | Slingbox Directory (Alt + D) | "Add" button | Check Internet Domain Name or IP address (for advance users):

Then fill out the IP address of your Slingbox and the rest of the information on that form.  See if it works.

Bryanod Novice

Great info.

Because the same error happens on 4 pc's it can only mean a miscongifuration of the router or all 4 pc's have the same anti virus software doing the same thing.  To troubleshot here is what I would do.  get to a command prompt on 1 pc and type ipconfig/all. Note the dns servers for most it will be your router ip then your isp's DNS server.

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless internet:
                                     Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
                                     Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 802.11 USB Wireless LAN Card #3
                                     Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-3A-35-C2-EC-00
                                     DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
                                     Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                                     Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::ed3d:c04a:bda6:dd37%28(Preferred)
                                     IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.31(Preferred)
                                     Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                                     Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
                                     DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 700987957
                                     DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-F3-C9-BB-00-1D-92-81-65-
                                     DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.15.1
                                                                         4.2.2.1
                                     NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
                                  I forgot where I read that when you launch the slingplayer application it tries to resolve sling.com to check for a internet connection.  In that same dos window type nslookup then enter.  at the prompt type sling.com.  sling.com and www.sling.com don't go to the same place
                                  > www.sling.com
                                  Server:  qwestmodem.domain
                                  Address:  192.168.15.1
                                  Non-authoritative answer:
                                  Name:    a327.b.akamai.net
                                  Addresses:  69.8.201.114
                                  Aliases:  www.sling.com
                                            www.sling.com.edgesuite.net
                                  > sling.com
                                  Name:    sling.com
                                  Address:  75.101.133.92
                                  > betasecure.sling.com
                                  Name:    betasecure.sling.com
                                  Address:  75.101.133.92
                                  > watch.slingbox.com
                                  Name:    watch.slingbox.com
                                  Address:  8.7.94.73
                                  > slingbox.com
                                  Name:    slingbox.com
                                  Address:  38.99.15.35
                                  As you can see Slingbox for me is many places.  I suspect for you http://38.99.15.35 or http://75.101.133.92 in a browser will work but either DNS or router firewall restriction is not resolving slingbox.com as http://38.99.15.35 or sling.com to http://75.101.133.92
                                      JWD

I'm having this problem with version 2 Slingplayer just updated my laptop to Win 7 64-bit and in the process installed Slingplayer version 2. I can get to Slingbox through the browser  and on another laptop running 1.5. Have tried all sorts re Firewall on laptop to no avail - just get this message when I try to do anything to do with connecting - I can't even find a way now to connect diretly to the Slingbox without signing into the service first - driving me nuts.

Strangely 1.5 works fine in an XP mode virtual PC on the problem laptop - I'll try 1.5 native! OK 1.5 native works with a direct connection to my (remote) Slingbox.

So what is wrong with the version 2 connection to the "clever" I din't know I needed?!

JWD

eferz Expert

One of the biggest difference between Slingplayer 1.5 and Web Slingplayer is the connectivity to Sling Accounts.  The Slinplayer 1.5 simply doesn't support Sling Accounts, while the Web Slingplayer uses Sling Accounts intergration from Sling.com.  Slingplayer 2.0 will attempt to resolve the dns names to an IP address and connect to the services as necessary.  So, you have to be aware of any type of Desktop Firewall which might be blocking access.

One of the troubleshooting steps is to open a command prompt (Start | Accessories | Command Prompt) then use nslookup and ping to tests.

Here are a list of Uniform Resource Locators (URL) you should look up via nslookup then verify you can ping those addresses.

analytics.sling.com

autoupdate.sling.com

msg.sling.com
                                          secure.sling.com
                                          services.sling.com

sparcs.slingmedia.com

While your pinging those address, make sure they match IP address  indicated by nslookup.

Here's an example of a test with positive feedback:

dnsgood.jpg

Here's an example of a test with negative feedback:

dnsbad.jpg

In this case, "services.sling.com" was being redirected in my "hosts" file which exists in "%systemroot%\system32\drivers\etc".  But, there are other ways this can occur.  Like dnscache software or internet speedup applications.

JWD

Eferz - Thanks - but they all seem to Ping OK!

Must admit I haven't found a HOSTS file on this W7 system yet though

JWD

eferz Expert

Well, you don't need to find the Host file.  You just got to make sure that addresses match between the DNS and the PING as above.

The nslook will look up the address through a DNS server, but if the DNS name is being redirected you'd be able to compare the results of the address in the nslookup vs ping.  Like in the screenshots above.

eferz Expert

btw... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923947

To work around this issue, follow these steps:

1. Click Start
                                                      Collapse  this imageExpand this image
                                                       Start button
                                                      , click All Programs, click Accessories,  right-click Notepad, and then click Run as administrator.

Collapse  this imageExpand this image
                                                       User Account Control permission
                                                      If you are prompted for an administrator password or  for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow or Yes.
                                                    2. Open the Hosts file or  the Lmhosts file, make the necessary changes, and then click Save on the Edit menu. If using Windows 7, you will need to click Save on the File menu.
                                                        JWD

But as everything resolves seemingly OK why would I need to create a HOSTS file anyway.? Of course at present I have uninstalled version 2  but I don't suppose that would affect my Ping etc responses would it?

eferz Expert

Actually, if you read carefully, I didn't recommend in creating a HOSTS file.  I mearly pointed out that it can alter the direction of traffic.

And don't concentrate that ping was successful.  That is mearly a test, like I said earlier, the important part of the test is that the ping is going to the appropriate IP address.

Take the time to recheck the difference between the two screenshots.  The one with the green circles shows matchin ip address, while the red one shows different ones.  Yet they both were addressing the same URL.

JWD

Eferz, thanks for your help - this is what I get....

Analytics.sling.com nslookup and ping 70.42.244.146

Autoupdate – 212.39.26.5

Msg 70.42.244.143

Secure 70.42.244.144

Services 212 39.26.5

Sparcs.slingmedia.com 70.42.244.147

So I wonder what I should conclude from that?

JWD

eferz Expert

Yep, it looks like network traffic for services.sling.com and autoupdate.sling.com is being hijacked to 212.39.26.5

According to (http://www.zoneedit.com/lookup.html?ipaddress=212.39.26.5&server=&reverse=Look+it+up)

Looks like its going to

OrgName:    RIPE Network Coordination Centre
                                                                    OrgID:      RIPE
                                                                    Address:    P.O. Box 10096
                                                                    City:       Amsterdam
                                                                    StateProv: 
                                                                    PostalCode: 1001EB
                                                                    Country:    NL

As from (http://swhois.net),

This is where they should be going

Name:    a691.b.akamai.net
                                                                    Addresses:  69.31.116.106, 69.31.116.121
                                                                    Aliases:  AUTOUPDATE.SLING.COM, autoupdate.sling.com.edgesuite.net

Name:    a699.b.akamai.net
                                                                    Addresses:  69.31.116.129, 69.31.116.113
                                                                    Aliases:  SERVICES.SLING.COM, services.sling.com.edgesuite.net

JWD

Thanks - that wouldn't have anything to do with me being in Europe would it? So what do you think I should do to correct them? Many thanks again for your help.

eferz Expert

JWD wrote:

Thanks - that wouldn't have anything to do with me being in Europe would it? So what do you think I should do to correct them? Many thanks again for your help.

I honestly don't know.  It can be a myrid of things.  The first thing you should find out is the cause of misdirected traffic.  Is it some sort of speed up program, a trojan horse, a non-trusted DNS server, an outdated caching server, dastardly deviant devils doing destruction?

Misdirected DNS queries is the number one reasons for identity theft occurs on the internet.  How does the scam work?  Let's say you bank at Citibank.  So, you type Citibank.com in your browser.  Your computer puts a DNS query, the response is a misdirected IP, and then sends you off.  Now let's say that IP address hosts a website is either spoofing the real site or acting as a proxy.  Now you go to log into your account, check your balances, perform a few bill pays, log off, and be none the wiser.  Except on the backend some unscrupulous website owner has log of every input - including your account id and password.   (I like to pick on them because they're one of the few financial  institutions that doesn't employ a SSL Certificate on their homepage.)

I would recommend testing other computers on your network.  Seeing if they're all being hijacked.  Through a process of elimination you can figure out what is hijacking.  Whether its local to that computer, all the computers on your network, or all the computers of your ISP.  Which brings me to another point.  It could be that your ISP is misdirecting traffic, so it doesn't have to support the traffic.  Whatever the reason is, I recommend finding out what and why its happening.  But, I'll leave that to your own disgression.

Anyways, as far as using Slingplayer, you should be able to bypass the misdirection with your HOSTS file.  What you would do, is edit your host file and add each the IP address to DNS name listing.  It should be in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc".  If you find that the folder is blank, go to Organize | Folder and Seach Options | View Tab under Files and Folders | Hidden files and Folders click the radio button for Show hidden files and folders.  You should then see five files, "hosts", "lmhosts.sam", "networks", "protocol", and "services".  Open the "hosts" file with notepad,  This is what the file should look like.

hosts.jpg

(If you have anything else in there, then its possible that's the reason you're being misdirected.)

Anyways, you'll want to append "69.31.116.106  autoupdate.sling.com" and "69.31.116.129 services.sling.com" at the bottom of this file and save it.  Then open a command prompt and "ping autoupdate.sling.com" then "ping services.sling.com" to make sure the response are from the correct IP address which you supplied in the HOSTS file.  But, if they don't match then its possible you have something deeper in the OS stack preventing you from doing the right thing.