3 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2010 11:21 AM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

Does Anyone have experience with the SL300-100.

jmartin147

I see these for sale in a few locations but documentation and reviews are very limited. Would it work just like a regular Sling Link? Does this in any way require DISH equipment?

• Re: Does Anyone have experience with the SL300-100.
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi jmartin147,

Would it work just like a regular Sling Link?

I imagine it would, but you're right about not being able to find much information on them.  Everything I saw stated the obvious (it's a powerline ethernet bridge) without any further detail.

This is the most useful thing I could find:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000126.html

In a nutshell, it says "call DISH" and gives a phone number.  Not particularly helpful, but at least it's a nudge in the right direction.

When I went poking around for info on the SL300's, I kept seeing prices in the $40/each range.  Unless you already have compatible SlingLinks sitting around, you would need two of these things to make it work- one for each end.  That's not a good deal considering you can get a set of two new 1-port SlingLinks for the same price or less.  Perhaps you're seeing better prices than I did...

Anyway, SlingMedia sells the SlingLink 1-Port set for $80 here:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy

You can also get them at NewEgg, etc.

Hope this helps,

- Az

jmartin147

Thanks Az for the fast response.

So you're saying I can buy a set of the one port sling links and use them both seperately as different receiverers in different locations? My current sittuation is that I already have a 4 port sling link setup for my living room and I want to piggyback on that system to add another port in the bedroom. Would buying a pair of the one ports give me 2 additional satellite locations. I thought each pair worked as a combo and only communicated with that one unit.

Thanks,

John 

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi John,

So you're saying I can buy a set of the one port sling links and use them both seperately as different receiverers in different locations?

That's a really good question... I think you can.  I've only used two at a time (one on each end) to functionally replace a long ethernet cord, so I can't say from experience on this one.  I've never tried playing with a full-on SlingLink network.

I poked around to look for more info before writing this reply...  From what I read, it looks like you can have up to 16 of the things in service at the same time and create one giant powerline network.  That's nuts  Check this out:

...from the SlingLink Turbo User Guide:

Picture 1.png

...from the product web page:

Picture 2.png

...here's a link to the full list technical specifications:

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slt-techspecs

...and finally, have a look at what Amazon had to say (skip down to Product Description > Works Well with Others for the relevant bit):

http://www.amazon.com/Sling-Media-SlingLink-Powerline-SL200-100/dp/B000NJ5VLQ

Like I said, I haven't tried using more than two SlingLinks to service multiple areas.  And your original question regarding the SL300-100 DISH version of these boxes is still hanging in the air.  But from what I've shared with you here, it looks like these things can do more than simply replace a single ethernet cable run.

If you go for it, post back afterwards and say how it goes.  I'd like to hear what you think.

- Az