13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2013 7:03 AM by GadgetBen Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Can anyone help with UK setup/retuning problem

SLShaffer

My Slingbox classic is in London, and I am trying to retune my freeview stations from another country. It returns an error code 1 'could not loaded countries' when opening setup assistant, and 'an error occured while loading country list when retuning.

Can anyone help with this problem?

SL Shaffer

• Re: Can anyone help with UK setup/retuning problem
          alanrichey42 Master

There is a problem with the Sling Media servers at the moment associated with the 'countries' database.   You will just have to wait until it is fixed.  Always happens during holiday periods

We are still waiting patiently for a statement from the Moderators over this, but there doesn't seem to be any urgency being attached to it

SLShaffer

Thanks for the information. Very helpful

astronaughty

Having a similar problem trying to retune using the windows standalone slingbox app. I get some error about being unable to load countries and the tuning wizard hangs forever.

However, I am able to get to the tuner from watch.slingbox.com and can retune the Slingbox, however, and you knew this was coming, BBC2 is totally missing from the lineup. ITV/BBC1/C4 etc all are there except BBC2.

All the TV's in the house have been retuned and they all find BBC2, including the cheap TV card in one of the old computers BUT not the Slingbox PRO HD. BBC2 was working fine until the switch over now nothing. Sling: How do I get BBC2 back? We've tried powercycles, multiple retunes, etc, etc.

I am dismayed at all the "issues" sling seems to be having and even more dismayed by the wall of silence and not even a hint to the users as to when these things will get fixed.

slingitnow123

Hi there, good to see I am not the only one......

I have read all the discussions and messages to the various errors since the weekend. I have tried remotely and lan connected, online setup and all desktop players, mac and pc, to get my slingbox to scan the channels completely.

For the online setup

It freezes at 25% everytime then say a few minutes later that the connection was poor on the internet...  no way

mac desktop player

scanning gets stuck at 26% then complains about the connection

pc desktop player

does the countries code complaint or the resource failed to load message.

My slingbox did have all the channels on it apart from those lost ffor a few weeks, such as BBC2. So just before doing the first attempt at rescanning the slingbox was fine............ As you can imagine, I have no channels to watch now as the scan can never complete... until sling fix the problems

tried resetting a number of times too....

Ever since the digital change over, stage2, all scanning functions won't complete ....FACT. Friend locally has the same outcome so there is no chance both boxes broke the same time.

I have been patient watching these support threads till now.....but as no scanning solution works!! not evewn the online version!!  here I am!

Looking forward to a new firmware or solution

Dave

slingitnow123

An update for you....
                          It seems that some of the error codes have disappeared on the pc tuner setup...
                          BUT the channel scanning still freezes around 25% - 26%, whether it be  mac or pc desktop players, online setup, local or remotely  connected.....

Please let me know why all scanning now fails.
                          Extra note:   If I unplug the aerial at 22% and put it back in at 32% I do get some channels...
                          This is of course not satisfactory  BUT it proves the slingbox hardware is fine.

Please tell me what is going on to fix your services.

The digital feed when scanned on a Sony DVBT box, samsung and panasonic tvs all work fine using this actual coax connection.

Dave

petetobin

I have the same problem, on a digital retune it gets to about 50% in my case and then loses connection.  It works ok on tha analog tune.  I wonder if the digitial tuner in the slingbox classic is just too old to deal with the way that Freeview is now being transmitted?  Do you know if this is contolled by the firmware or is the tuner actually a standalone piece of hardware in the box?  Also I wonder if the same problem occurs on the Slingbox Pro?

Incidentally I tried retuning using an old version of Slingplayer and the retune fails at the 50% point and it restarts with a detailed scan which in turn hangs at 50% for ever.

Apprentice

Hi slingitnow123 & petetobin,

If the update is getting stuck, probably that's because you are using a very long Ethernet cable or the Slingbox is connected using a power bridge like the SlingLinks; if this is the case, connect the Slingbox hardwired to the router and after the setup, take it to the other room. That should work!

Are you having trouble updating your Slingbox Software (firmware)?

Regards

GraemeG

Huh

The tuning fails because SlingMedia hasn't fixed the problem with regards to the DVB-T specs in the UK..

It was first noticed and discussed here and will no doubt continue to be a problem unless someone i) accepts it's a problem with the s/w and ii) codes a solution for it

& further more, as different parts of the UK broadcast DVB-T muxs at different frequencies, users will see the tuning fail at different %'s to neighbouring areas..

Apprentice

Hi SLShaffer,

We are glad to announce that the "Could not loaded countries. Error code:1" error message that pops-up when running the Setup Assistant for Internet Viewing has already been fixed! We encourage you to visit us at watch.slingbox.com and enjoy your Slingbox!

Regards.

slingitnow123

Hi Ranaleon

great you fixed one error but what about the retuning freeze.

The channel scanning still freezes around 25% - 26%, whether it be    mac or pc desktop players, online setup, local or remotely    connected.....T

Please let me know why all scanning now fails.

Extra note:   If I unplug the aerial at 22% and put it back in at 32% I do get some channels...This is of course not satisfactory  BUT it proves the slingbox hardware is fine.

Please tell me what is going on to fix your services. The digital feed when scanned on a Sony DVBT box, samsung and panasonic tvs all work fine using this actual coax connection.

I have received a couple of emails on this from other users that get EXACTLY the same situation...since the stage2 changeover.

Its been quite a few days now with no reply from sling

Why not have a go yourself at getting my box to tune yourselves?

or even an acknowledgement about the fault.

If you check out the log files for my slingbox you will see that no channels are available. After all, these logs are retrieved from your own servers.

Dave

GraemeG

I'm sure the reason I'm receiving emails about new replies is because I left a reply on this thread myself, but it was critical of slingmedia (not in any way rude) so it seems if you are in any way critical of their products, the post will be deleted. Somewhat childish imho, but hey ho..

I would at least have appreciated an email outlining a reason for its removal, if not out of simple courtesy..

Re the tuning problem, it seems this has happened before and was discussed here

Something to do with the slingbox not adhering to UK DVB-T specs and as they've failed to address this, the problem has returned following the DSO.

I do hope this post remains as it does at least address the tuning problem (take a hint slingmedia)

bobg8zwf Newbie

Yes, the retuning problem appears to be identical to the issues experienced by people using other transmitters last December. The reason was identified by Arqiva, who operate many of the transmitter sites in the UK. In fact they also use some slingboxes to monitor remote transmitters.

The problem is that slingboxes do not follow the UK specification in regard to the number of channels within a multiplex. Slingbox have never acknowledged or responded to this issue. Last January, Arqiva reduced the number of channels within a multiplex, and slingboxes were able to tune again correctly. But at that time they said it would be only a temporary fix because they would need to increase the channels to the full spec at some point in the future. It seems that now they are starting to do this.

The only permanent fix is for sling people to correct the firmware within all versions of the boxes.

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

• Possible workaround!
                                  GadgetBen

After some experimentation I may have found a workaround solution that may help some users:

When performing several scans of DVB-T channels my box would hang always at 43% with the (inaccurate) error message "your slingbox has disconnected due to a poor internet connection". I know this to be untrue on my very reliable fibre connection. After finding the real cause of the problem in this thread. I tried removing the coax cable from my slingbox when the scan got to approx 39% and reconnected the cable when the scan got to approx 47%. The scan completed successfully and I was pleased to see that all major channels (BBC 1, ITV, ch 4 etc.) where present. This may be a useful solution for users like me where COM 4 is either a ghost signal from a nearby transmitter or does not carry any important channels.

The lack of an EPG for UK users is very poor design. This oversight is doubly poor as EPG data is available in both the transmitted DVB-T signal and from online sources.

An example of a network streaming DVB-T device which makes excellent use of allowing both the direct broadcast and online EPG data to be used is the EyeTV Netstream from Elegato. This device has two DVB-T tuners and functions very well on my home network, streaming excellent quality pictures to my iPhone, iPad, Mac Pro and PC. The only disadvantage (compared to the Slingbox) is the device can only be accessed from the internal network (you cannot log into it when away from home). For any users unable to get the Slingbox to tune and do not need to log in externally to their home network this is a good alternative.