8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2012 9:14 PM by uvicgrad85 RSS

Slingbox Classic hijacks Slingbox Solo

uvicgrad85 Newbie

This is a weird one.

I run 6 slingboxes, and four from one particular property. Ok. Call me a Sling junkie.

Of the 4 being run from one property, 2 are PRO HD's, one is a Classic and one is a Solo.

The classic streams "audio only" from a Sirius radio receiver and the Solo streams Direct TV.   The property where the units is locked up tight for the winter with no access by anyone since I was last there a few months ago.

They have all worked more or less flawlessly until recent days when I used my Sling account to log into my Solo to stream DTV,  and instead of DTV coming up, the feed from the SB Classic (Sirius Radio) came thru.

Hmm. Odd, especially when the Classic and Solo units are physically separated in two buildings about  about 30 yards apart, (but share the same internet access, all hardwired).

So I disconnected the Solo and connected to the SB Classic and.........the Sirius feed came up again.   No more DTV feed. Where did it go?

I am at a loss to imagine how this occured as there have been no hardware changes and everything else streams nicely.

I will be at the location in the next day or too and reboot the Solo to see what happens.

Has anybody heard of this before and have an explanation or a fix before I take a run at it over the weekend?

Thx!

• Re: Slingbox Classic hijacks Slingbox Solo
          alanrichey42 Master

Funnily enough I have the identical symptoms with my Classic and Solo.  But I know the answer    The Solo happened to fail why I was there, and despite repeated resets I could not get it to complete the setup routine and I kept getting the "password not correct" symptom.  But I left it pluigged in just in case.   But I now see that if I try and access it remotely, rather than getting an error message Slingplayer starts displaying the Classic stream.

I don't know why this is happening, but I guess it just means your Solo has failed.  Hopefully you will have more success with a reset than I did.

uvicgrad85 Newbie

Thanks Allan.

I'll take a run at it to see what the story is later today when I'm at the location.

I take it from your experience this was not a basic power supply / adapter meltdown, but something a little more complex within the bowels of the Solo?

I'll post the outcome in a day or two.

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, although I don't know what the problem is.   But the bottom line is that all electronic devices pack up at some time.

uvicgrad85 Newbie

I logged into my Sling account from the location where the Solo is located and it could see the unit on the network, but it was showing as an unconfigured unit.

Like you, I tried to configure it as if it was "out of the box", (as the icon was showing it to be).

On the first screen, I got an "Error During Resource Loading" message and couldn't get past the "Name Your Slingbox" field.  The list of countries was greyed out.  After two attempts, and your experience, it would appear the unit is pooched.

I'll unplug it for a few hours and give it one more try.  If it doesn't work, I'll replace it with a Slingbox HD which I've already picked up.

It's interesting that the Sling Classics still work, provided they aren't hooked up to DTV.......grrrrrrr

alanrichey42 Master

It looks as though the April 5th 'hiccup' with the servers hasn't been properly fixed.  It seems the access to User Accounts has  been fixed but there still seem to be problems with the "country"  server.   If you try and use Setup Assistant on Slingplayer you get a  message "Could not load countries:  Error 1".  I think this might be related to your problem, so you may have wait until Sling fix this problem.

uvicgrad85 Newbie

Update:

I changed out the Sling Solo for a Pro HD and launched the Slingplayer Software to set it up.  Call me a creature of habit......

Lo and behold, it got stuck on the initial set up / "load country" field too, (though it apparently took an update prior to this stage).

I contacted Sling on the issue and was told the Slingplayer Software has not been updated in years and it's best not to use it for setting up the hardware. Instead, it was set up through the Slingbox webviewer without any issues and works fine.

This suggests that there may not have been any issues with the Sling Solo, had I attempted to use the webviewer rather than Sling Player software.

Not to worry though.  I'll take the Solo player to another location with a Classic hooked up to DTV that, as we all know, no longer functions and attempt a switch out.

Will update in a week or too, (the location is in much sunnier and warmer climes.....)

alanrichey42 Master

I don't think so.   There has been a problem with the 'country selection' servers for the last 3-4 days that Sling are saying is limited to the Standalone Slingplayer, although there are reports it actually affects the web sites as well.   So your problem pre-dates this 'glitch' by quite some time.

uvicgrad85 Newbie

Update:  The offending Slingbox Solo was relocated and reinstalled in Hawaii today, replacing a Slingbox Classic that no longer worked with DTV due to the HD output / cabling issue.

The unit installed flawlessly through the  web browser, (XP Explorer 8) , not the SlingPlayer....which I prefer, and is running without a hitch.

It remains a mystery why this naughty unit behaved as it did as described at the beginning of this thread.

The thread ends as it began.....this is a weird one.

Thanks to all.