20 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2016 11:02 AM by Causie RSS

DirecTV HR24-200 Remote Doesn't Work

daveynate

Has anyone found a solution for the on-screen remote for a DirecTV HR24-200 not working? I'm using the HR20 setup, and get no response.

• Re: DirecTV HR24-200 Remote Doesn't Work
          alanrichey42 Master

Check out this thread:  https://community.sling.com/thread/3300?tstart=0

Come back if it doesn't help.

Al

daveynate

Thanks for the reply. I've been to that thread already, still struggling. I've ordered a new IR Blaster cable to be sure; it's the only thing I can think of.

alanrichey42 Master
                  Thanks for the reply. I've been to that thread already,

I guess you missed the bit that said "...And please confirm in the body of the posting that you have carried out  all the above checks so we do not just redirect you back to this post...."

I've ordered a new IR Blaster cable to be sure; it's the only thing I can think of.

Did the IR Blaster fail the Camera test ?   If not you are wasting your money.

What about all the other checks I recommend?  IR/RF, position, Remote Address..........

Causie

So i had a direct tv on screen remote problem with my direct tv receiver HR24 wouldn't work ...so i bought aLogitech IR Mini Blaster (Emitter) for Logitech Revue Companion Box from Amazon and still wouldn't work ...how i got the remote to work was i went back to CUSTOM instead of HR24 and tried the Codes and CODE 3 WORKED my on screen remote .. i am going to go back and try the IR blaster that came with my M2 Slingbox and see if it will work....Just tried it and it worked....So use CODE 3 for REMOTE

mongobo

*bump*

Different user, but same issue. I have also followed the above link, and have had no luck resolving the issue... But I may have figured out the root of the problem. I'm hoping to walk through it here, and have someone check my logic (and hopefully have a solution).

The Equipment:

Slingbox 350

Directv HR24-100

Directv RC64R remote

Here's the deal. I have confirmed the HR24 remote settings are set to IR. I have tried every Directv remote configuration from the setup here at slingbox.com (with every possible combination of IR blaster, no blaster, 350 facing the DVR, etc...). I have used the camera test to confirm the 350 and the IR blaster are functioning. I've tried just about everything.

The itch in my mind had come from seeing so many grayed out remote options even when selecting the Universal Remote or the HR2x offerings. So I went and downloaded the manual for the RC64R to see if anything in there made sense. Here's where I've come to:

1. I'm pretty sure the Slingbox literature says the Directv IR remote codes use 'Component ID #1' to control the DVR.

2. Reading the manual for the RC64R, 'Component ID #1' corresponds to the 'TV' switch at the top (Directv is ID #0, AV1 is ID #2, and AV2 is ID #3).

3. I can config ID #'s 0 (Directv), 2 (AV1), and 3 (AV2) to control the Directv. Attempts to configure ID #1 (TV) fail (my best guess is that none of the TV codes start with a zero, so punching in the Directv code of 00001 or 00002 immediately fail when the first zero is pressed).

I think this may explain all of the grayed out options on the slingplayer remote (and more importantly, why none of the remote codes control the DVR). ID #1 with this hardware only controls a TV, so none of the DVR-ish buttons load up. Then, nothing works on the onscreen remote because it's sending out the limited Directv button signals on a Component ID #1 address...

Does this make sense? Is my logic sound? If so, is there a way to fix it so the IR codes are sent via Component ID #0?

alanrichey42 Master

Doesn't make sense to me but then again I have never seen a DirecTV box    But what you haven't mentioned is the Remote Address issue.  DirecTV allow users to change the Remote address between 1 and 8 (1 is the default) so that you can control multiple boxes at the same location.   Most of the built-in remotes will assume you are on the default address.   Are you ?    If not I produced a set of Custom Remotes for DirecTV boxes at DirecTV Remotes for Addresses 1-8

And I think you are reading the 'greyed out' buttons incorrectly.  If a button is 'greyed' out then that means that Sling (or me) have not enabled that button in the remote file.  It has absolutely nothing with your setup or hardware.   If you load one of my Custom Remotes and any of the buttons are greyed out then I can check why I didn't enable it.

Al

mongobo

Thank you for that. Seems I started with a bad premise, and let it take me pretty far off course.

I am having a bit of difficulty with the .bin file stuff.

I downloaded the file you linked to, and put the folder with everything into my documents folder (OS X). From there I went to slingbox.com, went to settings, sellected satelite from the first dropdown, selected custom from the second dropdown, and entered the location of the .bin file:

E/Volumes/1 HOME/Documents/DirecTV Remotes/Remote Address 1

Then I hit Test, and received the following error message:

Invalid custom bin file, click here for more help.

Do you by any chance have an idiot's guide to custom codes for Mac dummies?

alanrichey42 Master

Not your fault, it is Sling's fault.   When they say 'Location' they actually mean the full path and filname.  We wrote our own guide at

http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-file-on-slingbox-500-and-350/  Hopefully that helps.

mongobo

Very cool. Worked with the first one I tried. The 'List' button is grayed out, but I can still navigate to my playlist through the menu button. Other than that, everything seems to work just dandy.

Thank you.

alanrichey42 Master
                                      The 'List' button is grayed out, but I can still navigate to my playlist through the menu button

I can try and fix that.  Which was the EXACT bin file you installed ?   In fact post it here so I know I am tweaking the right one.

mongobo

It was the very first one. The S1377_PL.bin in the "Remote Address 1" folder.

I think I've uploaded it correctly.

alanrichey42 Master

That's odd.  I just installed that BIN file onto my Slingbox and the List button is not greyed out and definately transmits the 'List' code.

Are you using a PC or a Mac ?

mongobo

I am using a Mac. And to be technical, both the 'List' and 'Active' buttons are grayed out (I never use the 'Active' button on the real remote, so I didn't mention it earlier).

alanrichey42 Master

OK, it looks as though the Sling have a bug in the Mac 'skin'   I don't know if this will work but I have attached the fully working image file from my Windows PC.  Try overwriting the one on your Mac.   There are 2 copies, the first for the standalone player, at:

/Applications/SlingPlayer/Contents/Resources/Remote

(Note that The Contents dirs won't show up unless you do a "Right-Click -> Show Package Contents" when navigating into an app's "Contents" directory.)

The second is for the browser, and should be at:

\user\<username>\library\Application Support\SlingMedia\Remotes\

When you have replaced it make sure it is 'read-only' so that the player doesn't try and replace it with the broken one.

Al

mongobo

It looks as though I have neither of those folders. Slingplayer, for me, is Slingplayer.plugin that resides in Library\Internet Plug-Ins. Showing the package contents shows the files in the image I've uploaded.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                              It looks as though I have neither of those folders. Slingplayer, for me, is Slingplayer.plugin that resides in Library\Internet Plug-Ins. Showing the package contents shows the files in the image I've uploaded.

OK, can't help much as I don't use a Mac.   But other users have confirmed the ...users.. location is where they have found the SPR files.

ferguspa Apprentice

Mongobo,

Can you do the following:

- Click the "Finder" in the Dock

- Click the "Go" menu, hold down the "Option" key, and select "Library"*

- Navigate to here under "Library"

Application Support/SlingMedia/Remotes

(Note the above file location is for the browser-based SlingPlayer)

- Then drag in the "DirectTV.spr" file provided by Alan

Regarding locking the file, I'd do two things:

- Select the file in the Finder (e.g. so it is highlighted)

- From the "File" menu, select a "Label" color (the particular color doesn't matter)

- From the "File" menu, select "Get Info"

- In the "Info" window, under the "General" heading, check the "Locked" box

Now you should have a labeled (colored) file that's locked.  The color will let you tell fairly easily if the file has been replaced (with an unlabeled (uncolored) version) and hopefully the lock should prevent the file from being replaced at all.

- Patrick

*Apple has hidden the user's Library folder by default starting with Mac OS X 10.7.  Apple did not hide the all-user OS-level Library folder (i.e. at the root of the hard drive), which contains "SlingPlayer.plugin" in the "Internet Plug-Ins" folder.

Causie

So i had a direct tv on screen remote problem with my direct tv receiver HR24 wouldn't work ...so i bought aLogitech IR Mini Blaster (Emitter) for Logitech Revue Companion Box from Amazon and still wouldn't work ...how i got the remote to work was i went back to CUSTOM instead of HR24 and tried the Codes and CODE 3 WORKED my on screen remote .. i am going to go back and try the IR blaster that came with my M2 Slingbox and see if it will work....Just tried it and it worked....So use CODE 3 for REMOTE

Causie