6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2012 1:00 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Will this work the way I have in mind?

slac23

With summer coming, we will be spending more time at family lake cottage.  Just getting into researching this Slingbox and wonder if this will work how I'm thinking?  At home, we have the tv upstairs and router in the basement.  I'm thinking I could hardwire the Slingbox up to the router and lease an additional HD box from the cable company to hook up to as well.  I would connect the Slingbox HD into the cable box and router in the basement.  Then at the lake, could I stream to my tv with an Internet connected PS3 instead of running through a laptop?

The reason I'm thinking I would need to lease an additional box is so we could watch different channels at the different homes.  If someone is at the lake, and at the house, I want both to be able to watch different channels at the same time.  I'm thinking an additional box is what is needed for this??

Does all of this make sense?  Thank you for your help!!

• Re: Will this work the way I have in mind?
          callanish Apprentice

Everything adds up except for using the PS3 to receive the sling stream at the lake house. It's hardware that's not supported yet as a sling connected device. Basically, as of this moment, you've got limited options to receive the stream. The boxee and google TV hardware, which are buggy and frustrating to use or the no longer made, but still sold slingcatcher, which is the best option, albeit the most expensive one as slingcatcher's aren't cheap to purchase anymore on ebay. The last option is what you're already aware of which is the laptop connected to the TV.

Until more connected devices are supported by sling, like the PS3, this will be your biggest stumbling block to receiving your slingbox stream at the lake house. Other than that, everything else you mentioned is sound.

slac23

Thank you for the response!  I was afraid of that.  I was aware you couldn't, say for instance, watch a blu ray on one PS3 and "mirror" that through the other, but I was hoping the PS3 would act as a laptop in receiving the feed.  Apparently not!  :-(  I can still connect the laptop to the tv, the PS3 option would just be much more convenient.  I swore I read somewhere that you could use the PS3 to stream the feed, but sounds like I'm outta luck.

callanish Apprentice

When you read about articles posted on the web with regards to connectibility with the PS3, so far it's all been about promises rather than it actually happening. Now, don't get me wrong, that might change in months to come, but the way I see it is that sling already has its hands full just trying to get the two connected devices they support working correctly, so I personally think there's a delay in getting other connected devices to function with the slingbox. Who know's, maybe by summer they'll provide a release that will fit in perfectly with your plans.

slac23

Gotcha!  Let me ask this... I plan to buy the HD unit so I can watch in HD.  Would the cable box I hook it up to need to be an HD cable box?  Or would the HD Slingbox take care of everything?  The HD cable boxes are about $10/month extra, so no use getting that over a standard one if not necessary.  Any idea??

And from what I can gather, Slingbox announced at CES in January 2010 they were adding an app for PS3.  That was almost 2-1/2 years ago and still nothing!!

callanish Apprentice

No, you won't need an HD box. An HD box will help the picture quality, but it all comes down to your upload speed on the slingbox side and the download speed at the lake house. From my experience with streaming remotely, I'd say I get a 25% boost in picture improvement from an HD signal than through SD on my slingcatcher, but I'm also using a component connection, not composite. It's all about the expectation of picture quality. For example, a 1 mb stream to your remote location from your slingbox, in my opinion, would come under the definition of acceptable for overall video quality, so any bandwidth increase above that, say closer to 2mb's and higher will allow you to bump up the video resolution and improve viewing.

So, in a nut shell, is it worth paying an extra $10 a month for a cable box that streaming remotely will give you small improvements in picture quality and will only be used short term....probably not. I think my priority would focus on the speed and stability of your Internet connections on the slingbox and lake house end. You could have all the best HD quality equipment installed, but unless your Internet connection on both sides are sufficient and stable, you'll just turn your slingbox experience into something frustrating.

As far as the PS3, the below link kind of explains the current status which is in line with my last post. Looks like connected devices in general ( googletv, boxee, etc.) have some performance issues, thus the delay in moving forward with allowing other hardware, like the PS3, to also become a sling connected device. Hopefully they'll solve things sooner rather than later.

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000463.html

Regards