7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 4, 2012 4:37 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

iPad app

Amps

Can anybody help getting this app to work with sb solo.. Thanks

• Re: iPad app
          Apprentice

Hi Amps, the community can help you with this issue that you have, however please provide more details about it, like the error that you get from the Slingplayer (If you get one), and the type of connection that you are using.

Regards.

Amps

Hi, I've set it all up with sb solo while at home and it worked flawless great picture and everything worked but now that I'm away I can only watch on standard picture but will not let me watch on auto. If I put on auto it just buffers none stop.. The Internet connection here is better than my home connection so I thought that there would be no problems.. I get 3 green dots and 830 to 850 on streaming on auto so it should work yes? Could there be a problem with the router here may be? At home it worked on all picture qualities and was very happy with it. I can not watch it on standard as I have it to watch footy and it's so choppy and fuzzy can't even make out where the ball is or even the players  lol.. If I turned it to auto pictures great but buffering.. This is really starting to frustrate me now !!

Thanks

Amps

Apprentice

Hi Amps,

If the Slingbox works fine in a computer, I suggest you test the Slingbox in your iPad again, but from different networks to see if it happens in all of them.

Besides, I suggest you contact our support to get more assistane with this issue.

Regards.

Amps

I've just tryed on pc and it works fine. Have tryed iPad on different network still same results getting 3 dots and 830 streaming and buffering all the time on auto and on standard poor picture as before.. Have also tethered to my iPhone to test 3G also get the same results.. It's odd that the iPad app works when I'm home but not now I'm away.. I shall phone tech support see if they can help... Thanks again for trying to help.

alanrichey42 Master

It's odd that the iPad app works when I'm home but not now I'm away.. I shall phone tech support see if they can help... Thanks again for trying to help.

It's not odd at all, it's down to the laws of physics    When you are at home you are viewing the Slingbox via your Wireless LAN so you can get a throughput of >4000kbs so you get a good picture and can use Auto & HQ.  When you are away from home you are viewing via the Internet so it is going to be much slower.  And remember the download speed at your location is totally irrelevant, it is the upload speed at the Slingbox location that is important.  I find the displayed bitrate on Auto tends to be much higher than it should be.

For example, I have an upload speed (BT ADSL in the UK) of about 345 kbs but I regularly get a displayed bitrate of 600 kbs.   So I would guess your upload speed at the Slingbox location is about 500Kb ?   That will give you a 'real-world' speed of about 400kbs, and as you have seen, that is well below the value needed for the Auto or HQ modes on the iPad SlingPlayer (I think it is about 1200kbs).   So you will have to use SQ mode, and I guess the displayed bitrate will be around 400kbs?  and that necessarily has to use a lower resolution to give you a picture.

Make sense ?

Amps

Hi, Alanrichey42.. Yeah does make sense so I just need to up my upload speed at my slingbox location then? I don't know what is is off by heart and won't be back for a week so will have to test but I'm sure I looked in to the speeds needed before I brought the box.. I think it's around 800kbs for solo and I think I have 1000kbs at home.. Here I have 16000kbs dl and 750kbs ul that should be ok yes?

alanrichey42 Master

so I just need to up my upload speed at my slingbox location then? I don't know what is is off by heart and won't be back for a week so will have to test but I'm sure I looked in to the speeds needed before I brought the box.. I think it's around 800kbs for solo and I think I have 1000kbs at home.. Here I have 16000kbs dl and 750kbs ul that should be ok yes?

As I said, the speeds at your remote location are academic, it's the upload speed at the Slingbox that is important.   And you are probably right with the quote of 800kbs for a semi-decent picture, although I actually get a 'watchable' picture down to about 300kbs.  But to get a proper picture in HQ/Auto I still think you need more than 1200kbs, which probably equates to a actual upload speed requirement nearer 2Mb (nothing on the Internet is 100% efficient, particularly over such a long distance and depending on how many people are using it).