5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2012 11:20 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Independent DVR device not affiliated with Cable/Satelite or monthly charges

mcook74

Can you please give me some ideas on what type of video recording device/DVR I can find that does not require a monthly subscription such as Tivo or the cable provider rental)?  My cable provider is 'charter communications'.  Do you have any experience with this device and does it perform well in conjuction with Slingbox?  And lastly, as I understand the DVR will work at the Slingbox physical location but can I use a DVR away from home to record shows off my slingbox?  For example...if I have the Slingbox set up at location A, can I use a DVR at location B to record shows off my slingbox?  I greatly appreciate any video recording devices you can share that will suit my needs!

• Re: Independent DVR device not affiliated with Cable/Satelite or monthly charges
          chakkarinen Apprentice

My Tivo in the same room as my Slingbox works fine connected to the SB.   From my computer anywhere in Internet Land, I can control this Tivo through a "virtual remote" (which looks and behaves exactly like a real Tivo remote) that appears on my computer screen.   Regarding your 2nd question, it is my understanding that recording the streaming video/audio programs displayed on your computer screen requires another type of device.   I don't have these, but Sling Media once manufactured (but does not any more) a device called a "Slingcatcher" which would do that type of remote recording of what the SB was slinging.   You can probably find them available for sale from 3rd parties on websites like eBay.

• Re: Independent DVR device not affiliated with Cable/Satelite or monthly charges
              alanrichey42 Master

Not sure that answers either question

As far as Question 1 is concerned he actually asked if there was an alternative to a Tivo.  Standalone DVRs (off-contract) are very common in the UK (and Europe I guess) as we have a system called Freeview that broadcasts Digital channels (and some HD Channels) over-the-air, so manufactures are happy to produce these DVRs.  In the USA your TV/Cable/Satellite providers use a different business model and make sure you have to subscribe to some sort of service to get this ability.  Having said that, there might be some standalone DVRs available over there.  I'll let an American anwer that,

Question 2:  Technically the SlingCatcher does not record programs.  What it does is allow the Sling 'stream' to be displayed on a TV rather than a PC/Mobile device.  Obviously you can plug that output 'stream' into a DVR to record the programs, but the SlingCatcher will not do it on it's own.

mcook74

You are correct...I am looking for an alternative to Tivo.  A device that works like a Tivo but doesn't have the monthly subscription fees.  To my knowledge all Tivo brand models require you to subscribe to the Tivo service.  I'd rather not rent a DVR from my cable company.  Looking for an alternative to those options.  I do live in the United States. Any other ideas?  Much Appreciated!

chakkarinen Apprentice

I believe I have read in the tivo.com support fora that a Tivo can still be used to record programs if you do not have it contracted for the monthly subscription service   But you won't be able to download  or keep up-to-date the program lineup, so all of your recordings would have to be set manually, by time and channel number.  You can still view program lineups for free for your location on websites such as zap2it.com, but you would still have to make the manual entries into your Tivo for each program to be recorded.   Of course, you could manually program your unsubscribed Tivo, for example,  to record for one hour duration every Thursday at 9 PM on channel 7 -- similar to what folks did in the "old days" with their VCRs.

But you might want to post your question over on the tivo.com forum or the placeshiftingenthusiasts.com forum to see if other options are available.