19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2011 9:53 AM by TheBigTuna RSS

Cannot connect - won't reset

UKenGB Newbie

My Pro HD was working perfectly, until yesterday when I tried to run SlingPlayer (Mac) which complained it couldn't connect. When I looked at the SlingBox, the network light was flashing continuously, but there was no network problem so it had to be the SB. This appears to be a known problem since the manual has a specific procedure to correct it - press reset and set it all up again.

That in itself is irritating, but the real problem is that it won't reset. I first tried just powering off the SB for a while, but it restarts in exactly the same state so I resorted to trying a reset, but it seems to totally ignore the reset button, no matter how long I hold it in has no effect whatsoever.

So, my SB has basically got corrupted in some way and needs to be reset in order to work, but it refuses to reset, so currently I'm stuck. Can anyone shed any light on how I can force a reset?

• Re: Cannot connect - won't reset
          butchee

sorry,just commiserating, i have the same problem. I plan to call the 800 # tomorrow.If I get an answer I'll share.

1-877-467-5464   "B"

jander22

I read somewhere that on the PRO-HD box you have to hold the reset button for 20+ seconds (although the directions say 5 seconds). Not sure if you tried that or not

bardba

I have the same problem.

the extra symptoms i have are

my set top box video & audio is looped through my slingbox, video displays ok but the only way i get any audio is when i power the slingbox pro off then on. i get audio while the lights are flashing then once only the power light stays lit the audio stops

Id love to know if anyone has a remedy for this one!

UKenGB Newbie

I have solved the major problem. It was the power supply.

I moved the SB for testing to another location where I had a different PSU and it worked perfectly. After determining that the network was definitely not at fault, I realised the only differentiating factor was the PSU. When first connecting power, the Power LED came on and also the full horseshoe, but no network LED. With the new PSU there is some flashing of various lights but it settles with the Power and Network LEDs on and nothing else - as it should be.

So, even though the PSU apparently works because the SB is obviously getting power, there can still be a problem with it causing mysterious symptoms with the SB. I would guess that when it fails in this way, it cannot supply sufficient power for the SB to function correctly.

Now I just need to figure out why there's no audio.

bardba

Thanks for this, i replaced my power supply and the slingbox pro now works fine again!

rockford74

Hey UKenGB,  I just wanted to Thankyou for posting this information.  I was having the same problem and because of your post I was able to fix my problem within 15 minutes of it happening!  I simply took the power supply from my "Sling Catcher" witch is the same power supply as my Pro-HD and it worked!!  Now I just have to get on the phone with Sling and see if they will send me a new power supply because this one is only 7 months old!!  How old was yours when this happened??   But anyways thanks so much for posting this info it really made my day!!  : )

h20wakebum Newbie

I wonder if this is the same issue that I'm facing.

I just got my slingbox today and it won't even boot up! (the logo flashes when plugged in and that's it).

Do you know where I can get a generic 5v 4a ac adapter (or should i contact slingbox)?

-Rob

jimfitzgerald Apprentice

Radio Shack maybe?

rockford74

I would get one from Sling, Chances are they WILL give it to you for free and if not Sling sells them very cheap. Radio Shack will have it but it will be more money and it will be a kit and you will have to be sure you set the voltage correct and the tip and ring correctly ao it's easyer to get it from Sling.  If you have any other Sling products the power supply is the same and I also noticed it's the same power supply that a few differant routers and switches use. I have four sling boxes so I bought a spare from Sling just to keep in my parts bin.  : )

janman_dk

Just want to add that a colleague and I both have had the same problem with Solo's a month appart.

Sling support UK were kind and sent us new PSUs at no cost.

h20wakebum Newbie

so i talked to slingbox support today and they're sending me a replacement power supply.

I had purchased the refurbished slingbox pro-hd from sling media (the upgrade program).

I'm just hoping this power supply fixes the issue:

Issues-

when plugged in, sling logo blinks on then off, power supply stays solid and network light is "dim" almost as if it's just receiving ambient light from the power LED.

When i try a factory reset, nothing happens... no flashing, nothing!

I'll update you on whether the power supply fixes it.

-Robert

ryanalogan

YAY! That worked. Good call on the power supply. Make sure you're either using the original power supply, or another one that is 5V! It can reset now and the audio works again. Thanks Poster!!!

jp_logan

So I have same powersupply problem with my Pro-Hd - no reset possible, even after unplug, re-power, hold button for 30 seconds. I just talked to slingbox support - no freebie replacement powersupply for folks out of warranty! I must pay $19.95 - which I am willing to do. Went to parts order  - then surprise surprise the powersupply is out of stock!

Pitiful support - pitiful!

FreddyMac

I have had my SlingBox Pro HD for a little over 2 years.  I had the same problem.  I could see the unit in the SingBox directory but I could not connect via the Internet. The router was working just fine.  The power light showed very dim, the network light was off and the horseshoe shaped activity light was showing a steady red and the LED's wouldn't rotate. Four days ago I ordered a new power supply ($19.95 via Sling Media).  It arrived today and Voila!! I am up and running again.  Apparently, these power supplies only last a couple of years.  I hope this one is an improved version and lasts longer.  Just bite the bullet and invest in a new power supply.  Hope this helps those with a similar problem.

TheBigTuna

How funny is this?  I just read the post from UKenGB and he was right!  He posted it yesterday!  I took the power adapter from my other Slingbox and tested it...and it worked.  I have had them both for about 2 years.  That is too funny.  Sad...but funny. 
                                      I ordered another adapter.  Thanks UKenGB!  Slingbox...please create better equipment.  I spend $1k on the Monster Surge Protector to prevent this.