8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2012 7:27 PM by PatnetPatnet RSS

Error Code 0x8007274c

PatnetPatnet Newbie

I have a tested and functioning Slingbox HD that I am moving to a new location.

I have set the IP Address is static using Slingplayer 2.0.

I have opened Port 5001 and diasbled UPnP on the router.

I can see the Slingbox in the router's LAN DHCP routing with the MAC address of the Slingbox mapped to the IP address set and port opened 5001.

I cannot connect remotely or on the network. I get "connecting" and then fails.

Any ideas? I'm a longtime Slingbox user so please don't send me novice posts about opening ports.

• Re: Error Code 0x8007274c
          PatnetPatnet Newbie

I've just spent some time reading forum responses from Sling employees about similar problems. It seems that this is a common problem--that the Slingbox is obviously on the network yet doesn't work--and their resposes are universally to reset the Slingbox.

This seems to me to be an unaceptable response.

The Slingbox is on the network. Why should the user reset the Slingbox if the Slingbox is clearly showing in the DHCP leases list, the IP address is showing as matching and correct and the ports are mapped properly?

chakkarinen Apprentice

When you mention that you moved the SB to a new location, does that include a new router?   If so, the IP address that the router has assigned to your SB may not be the same as the IP address that the router assigned to SB when it was last working correctly for Internet Viewing.   So the IP addresses in the database at slingbox.com may not agree with the new addresses (external IP and local IP), so your SB can not be "found" to connect.   Doing a hard reset (by holding in the reset button for at least 15 seconds) and then re-running the setup routine from a computer connected to the same local area network where the SB now resides should do the trick.

PatnetPatnet Newbie

As I said in my post, the IP Address of the Slingbox is clearly shown in the DHCP leases on the new router. I confirmed that the Slingbox was seen by the DHCP on the new router. I then created a fixed IP address for that known IP address of the Slingbox and opened Port 5001.

The Slingbox is not being seen by Slingplayer (presumably the Sling database you mention) despite clearly being on the network. Why should I reset the Slingbox? I know what IP address I want to use and have set it correctly on both the Slingbox and router.

This is your issue. You need to refresh your databases if you think that your record for the Slingbox is old. I am providing you with an active Slingbox, valifd IP, open ports, per the instructions.

I can give you the IP address I've set if that's what you require to complete the installation of the Slingbox on your server.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I have found with my own SB-HD that problems that appeared with connectivity were, at times, due to IP addresses getting corrupted between what my router displayed, what my SB had in its internal memory, and what the slingbox.com showed in its records.   Do all of those IP addresses agree at the three sites I mention for your unit?   If they do not -- or you can not confirm that they do or do not -- than a hard reset can certainly do not harm, and might actually lead to a solution to your connection problem when you set up the SB again.

PatnetPatnet Newbie

Firstly thank you for your assistance. I had no idea that you wern't a Sling employee, and if you're not then where are they? Why are Sling employees like Foto only contributing to some threads and not others? It seems to me they like handing out vague advice like reset the router instead of dealing with the issues at hand as I am now requesting them to.

A hard reset "can certainly do not harm"? Well it did, the SB has now gone from being seen on the network to not showing on the network at all.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Once you do a hard reset, then I think you need to go to setup.slingbox.com on a computer that is connected to the same router as the SB and rerun the entire setup program.  And if that doesn't work, lthen I would suspect that the power adapter is failing.  It may still be delivering 5 volts and enough amps to light the liights, but not enough amps to power everyting else lthat is needed.   SBs under warranty can get replacement power adapters for free from the link on the home page of the suport forum.   For my older SB, I purchase a spare power adapter (5 volts, 4 amps) at bgmicro.com

PatnetPatnet Newbie

Thanks for your response. I have had power supply issues on a previous Slingbox and repalcing the power supply did correct the connecting issue in that case.

In this case I still don't have a solution.

Here are the troubleshooting steps I took for anyone who may experience this in the future:

Step 1:

Reset Slingbox

Rebooted router

No connection still. SB not on the network.

Step 2:

Changed out Slingbox.

Changed out Power Supply.

Changed out structured Cat 5e run including socket. I used a different home run from the same location in the building.

Changed out patch cable connecting Cat 5e wall socket with Slingbox.

Bypassed the Netgear unmanaged switch by connecting the Cat5e home run from the Slingbox location to the patch panel directly to a spare port on the router thus bypassing the network switch.

Rebooted router

Rebooted Slingbox

The Slingbox HD stayed up for a few hours allowing me to configure, verify IP address on the router, open 5001 and so on, and is now no longer seen on the network again.

PatnetPatnet Newbie

Thanks for your help. Issue is corrected. A telephone engineer for unknown reasons disconnected the Slingbox at the rack network switch for some reason unplugging the patch cable to the patch panel and plugging it arbitrarily intio the wrong port and into to the wrong home run. The remote nature of Slingbox means that there was no way of knowing that without a site visit. Thanks again