9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2010 5:30 PM by ACC320947 RSS

SlingLink Turbo Link Light fails to stay lit. Next step?

Inspiracy

Within the last few days, our SlinkLink(s) stopped functioning. None of the troubleshooting steps as provided have corrected this issue. After plugging both SlingLinks into the same outlet, the link light displays for a brief moment before going dark. When reconnected to the router there is a momentary blink of the Link light every few minutes (this occurs only on the SlingLink that is connected). What is the next step to take?

• Re: SlingLink Turbo Link Light fails to stay lit. Next step?
          Novice

Hi Caroline!

Thanks for  participating in the Slingbox Answers Forum!

For a case like this, you can  check the following SlingLinks  Article that can help you out with the problem that you have.

Kind  Regards,

The  Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

Inspiracy

As I mentioned in the original post, I'd reviewed that article and followed the steps described. "If the SlingLink Link lights  still don’t come on, contact Sling Media. We'll do more troubleshooting with you to  narrow down the problem with your SlingLinks." The SlingLinks are a few weeks out of warranty, so phone support is no longer an option. I'd like to know what the next troubleshooting steps to be taken are. If plugging both SlingLinks into the same outlet (in multiple rooms) does not result in a connection between the SlingLinks and they're not "dead", what should we do?

Novice

Inspiracy, I'm sorry to hear that you still getting the same problem.

However, you  can find more troubleshoot steps by going to this link

More  SlingLink  and SlingLink TURBO troubleshooting

Moreover,  if the issue still the same, I would like to recommend you to check on  the following links which will explain the support options that you  have, which you can take advantage of in order to get your SlingLinks to  work properly.

Slingbox Warranty

Support options

Kind   Regards,

The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

ACC320947

Hi Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team,

I have single port Slinglink Turbo that I bought new about 2.5 years ago.  I just started getting intermittant link problems a few days ago, and now the boxes won't link at all.  I've gone thru' your troubleshooting steps, including plugging them both into one receptacle.  No go.

Is it the case that you will provide no more troubleshooting steps unless I pay?  That's my impression from this thread.

If so, glad I kept my old Linksys WRT54G router around.  (It's 4 years older than my apparently dead Slinglinks.)  Was able to configure as network bridge and have my Slingbox again. 

Also glad you folks are getting some competition, e.g., Hava/Monsoon.  Sling support has really declined since I first bought in.  And the demise of this hardware certainly seems premature.

Hasta.

eferz Expert

ACC320947 wrote:

Is it the case that you will provide no more troubleshooting steps unless I pay?  That's my impression from this thread.

I've worked with quite a few powerline devices from network adapters to remote power switches and dimmers by different manufacturers.  No matter where you go, the troubleshooting methodology is the exactly the same as the listed in the Knoweldge Base for the SlingLinks.

Essentially there's two things that can go wrong.  Either there is a electrical device on the same circuit that's keeping the two adapters from communicating or one of the adapaters died.  The problem with having a noisy device on the same circuit is that it depends on the wiring layout of the home.

One of my friends who needed help with his X-10 modules, because he couldn't figure out why one of his modules didn't work.  He found that even he plugged his command center into the same outlet that neither command center nor the X-10 module worked.  His command center couldn't control the devices that did work in the original location.  This could indicate a phase shift of electrical lines, but it couldn't even control the module plugged into the same outlet.  So, we spent a few hours to find out that known working modules would not working on several outlets in his home.

That's when I came up with the idea to start switching off the circuit breakers.  You can figure out which devices are on the same circuit by shutting off the circuit breaker.  It turns out all the electrical outlets that wouldn't allow the modules to work was all tied to the same circuit.  From that point, we just used a process of elimination by unplugging appliances to pinpoint the scoundral.  The offending appliance turned out to be an old 27" Sony CRT television that was downstairs in the garage.  And it wasn't even on... in fact, he hadn't used it in months.  Just had it there in case he had to spend a lot of time in the garage.  So, we had a beer and never replugged it back in.

ACC320947 wrote:

If so, glad I kept my old Linksys WRT54G router around.  (It's 4 years older than my apparently dead Slinglinks.)  Was able to configure as network bridge and have my Slingbox again.

Glad you found a work around.

ACC320947 wrote:

Also glad you folks are getting some competition, e.g., Hava/Monsoon.  Sling support has really declined since I first bought in.  And the demise of this hardware certainly seems premature.

Dude!  Have you seen the press releases for the Monsoon Vulkano (http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2010-01/monsoon-announces-volcano-god-box/)?  Unlike some of the other competitors like Hauppage's WinTV and Elgato's EyeTV, it doesn't need a computer to be next to the set-top box.  In fact it looks like what the SlingCatcher should have had been.

ACC320947

Thanks so much for this detailed reply.  Great detective work.  Interesting how finicky these things can be.  However, I never had a problem for a period of years, and months since anything changed.  I'm thinking the fact that they won't link on the same receptacle indicates it's not to do with the circuit breaker.  Also noticed something else, the link light comes on briefly when I plug in one of the boxes, but not the other.  This would seem to be meaningful, but I admit this is not my area of expertise by any stretch.  My guess is the one that doesn't light up is the dead one.

Work-around:  me too.  Glad I was able to do it, cuz I'm only a wannabe geek.  Even bricked the router once.  Found a daring solution where you short pins 15 and 16 on the flash memory -- and that worked too.  Learned a lot of stuff I hope to never do again!

Yeah, I saw the info about the Vulkano.  Awesome, even looks cool.  Monsoon's support is what impresses me.  Sling is going to need to re-think their 90 days deal.

By the way, to you or whomever:  If someone wants the (apparently) good Slinglink box that I have, I'll be happy to send it.  Just give me a mailing address; I'll pay the freight.  Hate to toss something that works, especially if one of yours fritzed and you're wondering what to do next.  mtbdude28@aim.com.