10 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2012 5:04 AM by nad1967 RSS

Slingbox remote does not work (grayed out)

nad1967

I installed the ipad ap this weekend (still doesn't recognize my slinbox in the directory), and the remote buttons do not work (all grayed out). I did uninstall the ap on the ipad but still no luck...

interesting note, I had family check the connection back home and they can see and use the remote. They are in the US and I am in Germany. Any ideas?

• Re: Slingbox remote does not work (grayed out)
          nad1967

BTW, I was logged into slingbox and they were at the same time... they could change the channels and I could watch them do it, is that normal?

nad1967

I got the slingbox to work but it is running extremely poor... internet speed is fine but it won't go over 200kbps

nad1967

i thought there were slingbox techs that helped out on this board?

alanrichey42 Master
                      i thought there were slingbox techs that helped out on this board?

Unfortunately not.  What you have are a group of moderators who can point you to relevant areas of the Knowledge Base where your problem might have been solved, and a bunch of users like yourself who might be able to offer advice based on their experiences.

In your case you haven't really given us enough information to go on.  When you say the Internet speed is 'fine', that's a bit vague.  What EXACTLY is it ?  And I assume you are aware that the speed at your location is totally irrelvant, it is the upload speed at the Slingbox location that is the critical value ?

As for the remote, have you tested this with a PC/laptop ?   Does the remote display on that ?  We need to know that to figure out if the remote is the problem or the iPad app.

Al

Apprentice

Hi nad1967,

If you are still not seeing the remote control in the Slingplayer, go to Setup.slingbox.com and use the option "Configure Inputs" to reconfigure the remote control.

About the picture quality, make sure that the network that you are using meets the minimum requirements to stream video from the Slingbox.

iPad Requirements.

Regards.

nad1967

appreciate your responses... the remote is fine now but I am still experiencing slow speeds compared to the norm and extremly poor video quality. The speed at the origin is 20Mbps, and I get constant surges from doudle digit kbps up to around 600/700 kbps and then back down. Normally it was over 2000kbps all the time. None of this existed before installing the Ipad ap. Again, I have uninstalled the ap and have not attempted to reinstall it as of yet. I would like to figure out what the problem is with normal PC streaming before trying to fix the Ipad.

Thanks again crew

chakkarinen Apprentice

In another post recently on this forum, a user found a "work around" for the slow streaming speeds -- he changes his video resolution setting from "Auto" to the lowest level, and watches as his streaming speed slowly increases, then he changes the video resolution setting to 'better" or "best" (but not auto), and his streaming speed stays at a high level.   He says that this sounds like a software bug to him, but who knows for sure, especially if some ISPs are throttling the upload rates for users (meaning here the ISP that provides the service where your SB is physically located).  One of my ISPs says they will throttle if my monthly uploads exceed 250 GB, but I don't come anywhere near that level -- yet.

nad1967

no luck with changing the video res as it comes in... and it shouldn't be a throttling issue as this has been no problem for months and it occured at the end of a month and has carried on into April now. Still puzzled by this.

streaming speed continues to surge from 1000kbps down to double digits and up and down and up and down. Both speeds at origin and stream location are well over 20mbps. Slingbox is the only program that demonstrates this anamoly.