4 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2010 7:16 PM by BrandonC RSS

why can I NOT log in on my blackberry 9700?

splye

OK I have the software which downloaded fine.  When i try to connect it wont recognise me and says failed.  I know the password is correct as just reset it thinking I had done something wrong.  I am wanting to use it with my unlimited data tariff.  What am i doing wrong?

• Re: why can I NOT log in on my blackberry 9700?
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Splye,

The problem may not be with your phone.  Are you sure you're Slingbox and home network are configured properly for remote viewing ?

Have a look at this:

http://support.slingbox.com/go/pro-remoteviewing

If you think your Slingbox and router are configured properly, try remote viewing from a computer that's not in your house.  If you can connect successfully, everything is working and the problem is likely on your phone.  If you can't connect, you should revisit your router's configuration.

Hope this helps,

- Az

BrandonC Novice

splye,

What do you mean it won't recognize you? Do you mean when you try to log in using the same Sling Account info it won't log you in or are you saying you see your Slingbox in the directory but when clicked on it won't connect.

@ArizonaSackbut,

The 9700 is not supposed to need a TCP port forward to work just like the how you can watch remotely from your computer without one via the Stand Alone program and web site. But mine needs a port forward opened up so you are right on, far as mine works, that a TCP port forward does need to be setup for it to work.
              The only problem with the tip about trying remote viewing on a computer that is not in the house is that it won't help because it will revert to using UDP.  Which the site says the 9700 doesn't need but for some reason mine does.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

That's interesting BrandonC.

I've been trying to learn more about how the TCP and UDP protocols work in the Sling universe at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com and elsewhere.  It's fun and useful figuring out why things work the way they do.

My suggestion above to Splye about trying from a different computer was aimed at verifying/isolating if remote viewing was setup successfully on the Slingbox, not just to test port forwarding.

The successful hands-on experience you mentioned with the 9700 & port forwarding leads me to believe that it wouldn't hurt anything to try that.  No ?

Hey Splye, hope you get it working !  Keep the group posted, we'd like to help. 

- Az

BrandonC Novice

ArizonaSackbut wrote:

That's interesting BrandonC.

I've been trying to learn more about how the TCP and UDP protocols work in the Sling universe at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com and elsewhere.  It's fun and useful figuring out why things work the way they do.

My suggestion above to Splye about trying from a different computer was aimed at verifying/isolating if remote viewing was setup successfully on the Slingbox, not just to test port forwarding.

The successful hands-on experience you mentioned with the 9700 & port forwarding leads me to believe that it wouldn't hurt anything to try that.  No ?

It would not hurt at all. It would definelty help in trying to figure things out. Tell you what I will put together an article on how the TCP and UDP protocols work with different SlingBox setups and see if that helps.

For now I recommend that everyone who is trying to sling remotely have a strict port forward setup in their router and also go through these steps first.

But that is a little of topic.

In the mean time let's see what the exact problem Splye has and see of we can help.