5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2012 4:27 PM by BobAchgill RSS

Stopped watching

BobAchgill

I started watching my Slingbox Pro-HD content over internet remotely... all was ok.  Then my wife tuned in also and it killed the watching.  An hour later still can not watch again.   Do I need to call home and have them push a reset button?  Or will it heal itself somehow?

Thanks!

Bob

• Re: Stopped watching
          BobAchgill

Update...

I called home and had them disconnect the power and ethernet cable from the slingbox proHD and also from the power cable from the router... then reconnect them all.

Those little red  lights in the lower right hand corner of the slingbox still persist and there is no horse light.... and of course I can not watch still.

What will happen if I have them press the reset button on the back of the slingbox?  Will that help or will it just wipe out all my setup settings?

Thanks!

Bob

callanish Apprentice

Holding in the reset button will cause you to lose all your settings, but that might be the only way to find out if what you have on your hands is either an easy or complicated fix. I was in a similar situation a while back where two people were trying to access my slingbox at the same time and for some reason the box ended up getting corrupted. The lights on the slingbox would constantly flash, but I couldn't connect to it. A complete reset and setup solved the issue and it was fortunate I was home at the time. In order to avoid that problem in the future, I setup a laptop at home with the remote software logmein on it allowing me to access this computer from overseas and give me the ability to run the setup program for the slingbox and access my router settings when needed.

If your problem turns out to be like mine had been where you don't have someone tech savvy enough at home to re-setup the slingbox for you, you'll obviously have to wait until you get back home in order to do a hard reset of the slingbox. Depending on how you have your slingbox setup, you might want to also try unplugging the modem, router and slingbox at the same time and do a power reboot just in the chance that it might not just be the slingbox to blame.

BobAchgill

Hmmm?

1) So yeah, I did not try having my onsite helper cycling the power on the modem, too.  Will first try all three together- slingbox, router and modem.

2) If the easy fix does not work then (see 1) ... I have a computer onsite set up with Teamviewer that I could login to... but I can't recall ... does the computer running the set up need to be usb connected to the sling box or just on the same LAN?  And, I can't remember if the setup program was on a DVD that came with the sling box or did that get downloaded to my LAN connected computer when I set up my slingbox account in the process to start configuring the SB?  This is a blur as I was getting ready for the trip at the same time.

Thanks for the insites!

Bob

callanish Apprentice

You Just needs to be on the same LAN to access the slingbox; either a wireless or ethernet connected lan computer will work.  For the sling setup, go to slingbox.com and access the setup process through the website. You'll also need your home router access info in case you need to change the port forwardings settings for remote viewing. There is a desktop software package that can be downloaded from sling's website and should be put on your local lan computer if you run into trouble, a backup way to run the setup process is by dowloading the slingplayer desktop software to also get your slingbox up and running, but try the website setup first.  go to watch, then look for slingbox setup and it will use a flash plugin to walk you through the setup process. If teamviewer gives you any problems, try installing the free logmein software for remote access

www.logmein.com

Sorry for getting back to you late. I just got in, found this in my e-mail and fired off a quick reply. Hopefully you'll get things up and running and it turns out to be a simple reset and re-setup to fix the original problem.

Regards.

BobAchgill

Thank you!  The slingbox is now reset and playing.