3 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2010 9:09 PM by braceyourself07 RSS

Fuzzy or noise on channels when viewed through Slingbox but not TV

braceyourself07

I have a coax jack in my home office where I have a Slingbox Pro HD and a small TV connected in line.  I know the Pro HD has its own tuner so the TV can be used independently of the slingbox.  The incoming coaxial cable is connected to the slingbox input, and the slingbox output is connected to the TV (no cable box).  When I view the channels on the TV, it comes up crystal clear.  When I view channels via slingplayer, it shows up with a lot of noise however the noise is not equal for every channel and a handful of channels do show up clear.  Is there something wrong with the tuner with my Slingbox since the TV signal is clear?  Any advice for troubleshooting? I tried re-securing the coaxial connections, but I did not notice any improvement.

Attached is an example of a channel with the worst noise.  You'll see that it is streaming at 8Mbps, but extremely poor quality.

slingcap.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

• Re: Fuzzy or noise on channels when viewed through Slingbox but not TV
          BrandonC Novice

braceyourself07 wrote:

I have a coax jack in my home office where I have a Slingbox Pro HD and a small TV connected in line.  I know the Pro HD has its own tuner so the TV can be used independently of the slingbox.  The incoming coaxial cable is connected to the slingbox input, and the slingbox output is connected to the TV (no cable box).  When I view the channels on the TV, it comes up crystal clear.  When I view channels via slingplayer, it shows up with a lot of noise however the noise is not equal for every channel and a handful of channels do show up clear.  Is there something wrong with the tuner with my Slingbox since the TV signal is clear?  Any advice for troubleshooting? I tried re-securing the coaxial connections, but I did not notice any improvement.

Attached is an example of a channel with the worst noise.  You'll see that it is streaming at 8Mbps, but extremely poor quality.

slingcap.jpg

Thanks,

Mike

I would check and make sure you don't have any upstream splitters that reduce the Db signal to your Slingbox Pro HD.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

braceyourself07

Thanks for the quick response, Brandon.  The only splitter is the one in the electrical box that splits the coax from the cable company (and installed by the cable company) to put coax connections in the rooms of the house.  I'm curious, though, since the TV is connected in line with the Slingbox that the TV should also have a noisy signal if that were the case.

Mike

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Braceyourself07,

BrandonC brings up an excellent point re: signal strength.  Garbage In, Garbage Out as the saying goes.

You might also be having a problem with line noise (electromagnetic/radio interference).  I had a similar issue when I had too much equipment in close proximity.  The power outlets in an old house didn't help either.

The interference on the screen was a little different from your screenshot, but what you said about some channels having more junk than others rings a bell.  I found that lower channels tended to pick up more interference.  I was using analog expanded basic cable.

Like you, the TV sitting next to the Slingbox was clear.  Unlike you, my Slingbox model didn't have a passthrough so I had a splitter in play.

Turns out the major culprit was a pair of cheap computer speakers and the other equipment added to the misery.  The solution was an EMI/RFI filter.  Something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3012599

It didn't eliminate the problem 100%, but it helped a whole bunch until I rearranged my equipment and got rid of those horrible speakers.

I never conclusively solved the mystery of why the TV was clear when the Slingbox wasn't, but I strongly suspect that the TV had a similar, optimized filter built into it.

Hope this helps,

- Az