7 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2012 6:31 PM by dbsguy RSS

DirecTV List Button

tfpeck

Hi,

I'm trying to use the Directv 'List' button but DirectTV pops up a message that my TV is not setup in HD mode and will not display the list of recorded programs. The message instructs you to "Press and Hold" the Exit button to set to Standard Defination but the Sling remote does not supprot this feature (it only sends a momentary button press).  Can someone tell be how to get around this? I'm out of the country and would like to watch my recorded programs.

Thanks

Thad

• Re: DirecTV List Button
          alanrichey42 Master

Please do a search on the forum for this, there have been dozens of posts on this subject, discussing possible answers.

tfpeck

Hi,

Yes, thank you for replying. I did read the posts. My problem isn I'm out of the country and all of the solutions I've tried do not work.

The things I've tried on my SlingBox SOLO and DIRECTV Model: HR24-500:

1. I found a solution that worked for me. I have a slingbox av connected with a Svideo cable to my Directv HR22. When on my iphone 4s away from my wifi connection I was unable to view anything on the dvr. What I did was I selected the remote option pushed the info button. The D-pad comes up and I pressed the the right directional button 4 times which takes you to the Audio/Video subtitle. Then I pressed the center button on the D-pad until I could see subtitle on the slingplayer mobile. I then am able to access the DVR. However to repeat this to get the TV to HD reception you have to press the center D-pad button about 10 times. This did NOT work...

2. I understand that you are having some issues with the Slingbox and the Direct TV box, since all of a sudden you get this error message.

The recent update on the Direct TV box seems to be the root cause for this behavior. In order to fix this situation, you only need to use the Component cable (RGB) to stream the HD signal, since the S-Video and the Composite (yellow one) are not capable to.

This did NOT work as my SB is connected via Coponent cables...

3. I resolved the issue by repeating hitting the Format button on either the computer or cellphone remote until it was restored back to 480 resolution.

This did NOT work as all of my functions buttons wen pressed pop the SD message.

Ok I have come up with a work around. You can set your receiver to display channels in native format, which forces the guide to display on whatever format the channel is broadcast. Then you simply have to tune to a SD channel to use the guide, dvr, etc. To do so:

(While in front of the TV)

Press MENU, go to Settings & Help [If unable to see what you're doing, on the HR24/500, blind: Press down 4 times, then Select]

Go to settings [Blind: Press select]

Go to HDTV [Blind: Down 3 times, then select]

Go to Video [Blind: Press select]

Under Native, choose on [Blind: Press select, then down, then select]

Finally, press exit and switch to a Standard Definition channel by punching in the channel number (I use channel 102, DirecTV news mix) and then you will be able to use the receiver menus while on any SD channel.

The following is totally optional, and simply makes it easier than having to punch in a channel every time, it involves adding a channel to the QuickTune feature of the HR24/500. While on a Standard Definition channel:

Press up while outside of any menus to pull up the QuickTune menu

Press Green to add the current (SD) channel to the middle of the QuickTune menu.

Now whenever you desire to use your slingplayer, simply press up then select to switch to an SD channel to access the menus.

I know this might seem like a lot of work at first, but if you follow the whole procedure it takes only two button presses to switch to SD on your receiver! Please keep in mind this won't get rid of the overlay when viewing HD content, but the overlay disappears after about 15 seconds of no button presses when no menus are open. It is simply a work-around solution if you do not have the option to use Component (Red Green Blue video) cables with your DirecTV receiver.

This can't be done since I'm out of the country.

Sooo.... did I miss a fix because none of the above worked form me.

TIA,

Thad

Apprentice

Hi tfpeck,

The community can help you with your issue, however please provide more details about your Cablebox like it's model number and they way that it's connected to the Slingbox.

Regards.

tfpeck

Hello,

I have a DIRECTV Model: HR24-500 box which is connected via Component video cables and I still can not select any of the function buttons (Exit, Menu, List, Guide etc) without a message telling me to press and hold my 'Exit' button to set my receiver to standard definition. I'm out off the country so I can't interface with the box directly. I've also tried the going to channel 100 as suggested but I'm unable to use the Menu button.

Does anybody have any further suggestions that I missed?

Thanks

Thad

tfpeck

Hi,

Yes, thank you for replying. I did read the posts. My problem isn I'm out of the country and all of the solutions I've tried do not work.

The things I've tried on my SlingBox SOLO and DIRECTV Model: HR24-500:

1. I found a solution that worked for me. I have a slingbox av connected with a Svideo cable to my Directv HR22. When on my iphone 4s away from my wifi connection I was unable to view anything on the dvr. What I did was I selected the remote option pushed the info button. The D-pad comes up and I pressed the the right directional button 4 times which takes you to the Audio/Video subtitle. Then I pressed the center button on the D-pad until I could see subtitle on the slingplayer mobile. I then am able to access the DVR. However to repeat this to get the TV to HD reception you have to press the center D-pad button about 10 times. This did NOT work...

2. I understand that you are having some issues with the Slingbox and the Direct TV box, since all of a sudden you get this error message.

The recent update on the Direct TV box seems to be the root cause for this behavior. In order to fix this situation, you only need to use the Component cable (RGB) to stream the HD signal, since the S-Video and the Composite (yellow one) are not capable to.

This did NOT work as my SB is connected via Coponent cables...

3. I resolved the issue by repeating hitting the Format button on either the computer or cellphone remote until it was restored back to 480 resolution.

This did NOT work as all of my functions buttons wen pressed pop the SD message.

Ok I have come up with a work around. You can set your receiver to display channels in native format, which forces the guide to display on whatever format the channel is broadcast. Then you simply have to tune to a SD channel to use the guide, dvr, etc. To do so:

(While in front of the TV)

Press MENU, go to Settings & Help [If unable to see what you're doing, on the HR24/500, blind: Press down 4 times, then Select]

Go to settings [Blind: Press select]

Go to HDTV [Blind: Down 3 times, then select]

Go to Video [Blind: Press select]

Under Native, choose on [Blind: Press select, then down, then select]

Finally, press exit and switch to a Standard Definition channel by punching in the channel number (I use channel 102, DirecTV news mix) and then you will be able to use the receiver menus while on any SD channel.

The following is totally optional, and simply makes it easier than having to punch in a channel every time, it involves adding a channel to the QuickTune feature of the HR24/500. While on a Standard Definition channel:

Press up while outside of any menus to pull up the QuickTune menu

Press Green to add the current (SD) channel to the middle of the QuickTune menu.

Now whenever you desire to use your slingplayer, simply press up then select to switch to an SD channel to access the menus.

I know this might seem like a lot of work at first, but if you follow the whole procedure it takes only two button presses to switch to SD on your receiver! Please keep in mind this won't get rid of the overlay when viewing HD content, but the overlay disappears after about 15 seconds of no button presses when no menus are open. It is simply a work-around solution if you do not have the option to use Component (Red Green Blue video) cables with your DirecTV receiver.

This can't be done since I'm out of the country.

Sooo.... did I miss a fix because none of the above worked form me.

TIA,

Thad

dbsguy Apprentice

Connect your slingbox via component video/audio cables and your issue will be resolved.

DirecTV has limited the menu overlays including the guide and list onscreen functionality to HD enabled output conenctions only (hdmi and compoonent video).

For those of you with simular sistuations but have older non component cable input models of slignbox, you can purchase a component to composite converter from monoprice to rectify the problem and enjoy the same working outcome for about $40.....