4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2012 6:26 PM by chakkarinen RSS

New user with many questions

msgt0369

Greeting everyone. Hopefully I will not sound to stupid but I do need help understanding this. I am currently in the military stationed in Japan. The television here isn't that great and I would like to watch current shows from back home. I have read about slingbox and will be purchaseing one or more very soon. This is the situation as I understand it, if I have something wrong please let me know.

Question 1 - If I put the slingbox pro hd in my sisters house in florida, would I need to purchase a second device of some type to watch everything on one of my televisions here in Japan. As I understand it I will be able to watch useing the internet, but will be restricted to only one person at a time. If i were to purchase a Boxee ox and connect it to one of my televisions here in Japan, then I should be able to watch the stateside shows plus one of my children can use the web based to watch as well all at the same time.

If this is to confuseing, can someone tell me what I need to be able to watch television from the states here in Japan. I would like to watch it on one of my televisions and allow the kids to use the web based to view at the same time.

Martin

• Re: New user with many questions
          alanrichey42 Master

Close    Both methods are valid, but unfortunately only one viewing device can connect at any one time.  So if you were watching on the Boxee and your children logged in on a laptop/desktop you would be booted off.

msgt0369

Thanks for the info, on slingboxes web sight they stated that if more than one person wanted to view at a time we would need a seperate device for each television but they could log onto the web sight and watch.

"A Slingbox can only send content to one device at any given time. However, the Slingbox PRO-HD includes an internal tuner, so for standard cable (coaxial) inputs, you can set up your Slingbox to watch your TV, DVR, or other A/V source while a remote user watches standard cable (or vice versa).

To watch on a connected device such as a TV, you need a Boxee Box.

alanrichey42 Master

I've read that 4 times now and I still don't really understand what they are saying     I think what they are trying to say is that because the Pro-HD has a separate tuner that the remote user can watch 'normal' cable TV independently of the host user, who can be watching something else.  Otherwise the remote user is forced to watch the same channel as the host user.

Bottom line for me is that if I have a laptop connected to my Slingbox and I try and log on using another device, I get bounced off the laptop.  So if you are in a remote location only one of you can watch a program.

Quite happy for the moderators to correct that statement.

chakkarinen Apprentice

Put another way, I believe what they were trying to say is that the SB can sling to only one remote device at a time.   If you have a SB HD and put an RF splitter on the coax cable coming out of the wall, then you can connect one coax line from the splitter to the coax input on the SB, and setup the SB to tune via that coax input any of the "over the air" stations that come in on that cable, using the internal tuner in the SB.   Note that this will likely NOT include all of the channels delivered by your cable box. 

You can then connect a second coax cable to the input on your cable box, then cables from your cable box to the composite or component inputs on your SB.   This will permit one signal to be slung (either the "over the air" station list or the cable box list) while the person physically sitting in front of the TV can independently watch the other set of signals directly on the TV.   In my setup, I typically watch the "over the air" channels locally on the on the TV that is physically in the same room as the SB, and watch the other signal (thorugh the cable box) remotely via a web browser window on my computer.