8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 14, 2012 3:19 PM by jamesmccourt RSS

How To Set Up Receiving End

starman4

I want to set up a Slingbox PRO-HD in Georgia and watch TV in Kentucky.  I think I know how to set up the Slingbox in Georgia, but what do I need on the Kentucky end to watch cable TV that my Slingbox is connected to in Georgia?  Thanks for your help.

• Re: How To Set Up Receiving End
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Once your Slingbox is connected to your cable TV  signal and is set up in Georgia, then you should be able to watch it on the computer screen of your computer in Kentucky -- or anywhere else in Internet Land. In Kentucky (or anywhere else in Internet Land), you would go to http://watch.slingbox.com and log in to the account that you have set up at Slingbox.   You might want to consider setting up an administrator account for yourself and a "viewing only" account that you can share with family or friends -- they would then be able to watch your Georgia TV channels but would not have administrator privileges to change any of the setup options. 

But before going all the way to Kentucky after you have completed the physical setup in Georgia, I recommend going first to a nearby McDonalds or Starbucks or library in Georgia and try your connection to your SB from thre to verify that the cable TV signal is being properly streamed out of your Georgia router and modem into the Internet World, and with sufficient UPLOAD speed from your Georgia ISP so that it can be viewed on the computer outside the Georgia home network of the SB without image stuttering or stalling.   Just because it works inside the local area network where the SB is physically located doesn't necessarily mean that it will work when you attempt to watch from outside the local area network.   But if you can view the streaming on your laptop from the Georgia Mickey Ds down the street from your Georgia home, then it should work fine in Kentucky.

starman4

Thanks for your reply.  I appreciate you taking time to help.

If I want to watch my Georgia cable in Kentucky, then it looks like I need to connect my computer to the TV.  I guess I can do this if I can run a HDMI cable from my computer to the TV.  I might consider building a dedicated computer with an HDMI card to sit beside the modem and TV just to get the signal to the TV.  This way, I would not tie up my computer when I want to use it for other things and my wife wants to watch TV.  Do you think this would work.  I assume there are no devices offered by Sling that would allow me to connect my router to the TV and allow me to control the TV with a remote?

chakkarinen Apprentice

Caution on using an HDMI cable anywhere in the system that has the SB included.   While I don't use HD myself, I've heard many other folks report in other threads in the forums that there are new copyright protection schemes implemented now that block access on your SB to slinging TV channels if an HDMI cable is connected.   The alternative is to use component cables (red-blue-green for video and red-white for audio) for all connections that involve HD signals.

I am not familiar with the use of such video cards.   Depending on how your cable TV provider is providing the signal, you have a couple ways to insure that someone can watch the TV directly (with complete control of channels) while you watch the channels (either the full set or a reduced set) remotely from another location in Internet Land.

In my case, my cable TV services offers a reduced set of stations (as required by law) directly out of the wall without a cable box -- in my case these include the local affiliates of the big networks, some home shopping and religious channels, the local government channels, and the odd foreign language channel.   But for the "regular cable subscription" channels (such as ESPN, CNN, HIstory Channel, etc) I must install a cable box between the wall and the TV.

So, if you want the full set of cable channels for both the local TV viewer and the Slingbox viewer to see -- and control -- you would need TWO cable boxes from your provider, with one connected between the wall and the TV, and the other connected between the wall and the SB.

Note that the SB-HD includes an "internal tuner", but this will not display the encrypted channels from the cable box, but only that reduced set of stations required by law that I describe above.

starman4

Thanks for the information about a SB and a HDMI cable.  I need to look into a card for my computer that would allow me to run a component cable (red, green blue) between my TV and computer.  I don't know if there is such a thing, but I will look.  Is there any other way to get my cable signal, which comes over the internet, to my TV?

jamesmccourt Novice

There's always a SlingCatcher but Sling don't sell them anymore. You'd have to try EBay where they are around $300 used. The idea is the SlingCatcher receives your SlingBox feed and you control it with a remote, the same as a normal cable box. The commands are slightly delayed as they travel to the box at home via the internet but in general it works great and doesn't tie up your computer! It also has an HDMI output.

You might have to manually configure your router where the Slingbox is based but it's not that difficult. The main thing is to make sure the router is set to TCP. Each router is different but you should find instructions to do that online.

Just an idea. I love my SlingCatcher.

J.

starman4

Thanks for the reply. I looked into SlingCatchers and found some on eBay that were used.  The only new SlingCatcher I could find for sale was from Amazon.com and they wanted $849.95. I wonder if Sling is going to replace the SlingCatcher with something else? If Sling no longer makes SlingCatchers, do they still support them.  A SlingCatcher is a big investment if Sling no longer supports the!  Other than the SlingCatcher, do you know of anything else that would do the job?

chakkarinen Apprentice

My guess is that SlingCatcher-like devices will not be offered again for sale until a new "blanket" agreement is reached between the commercial content receivers (such as Sling Media) of the world and the  commercial content producers of the world over sharing revenues and the like.   I think the latter felt that devices like Sling Catchers were going too far in threatening "controlled ownership" of the products of the former, and perhaps some lawsuits were threatened?   Especially now that many of those producers -- or their middlemen -- are offering subscription services for Internet streaming of their products.

jamesmccourt Novice

EBay between $300-$350 and well worth the money. Sling don't support them anymore but the forums explain the set-up and it's not that hard to sort.

By FAR the easiest way to watch a SlingBox remotely, especially if that's the main way you watch content.

J.