7 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2010 10:01 AM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

Fios through Coax

RichCareyB

I have a Slingbox Pro-HD that I'm using with FIOS. I have it working properly through my DVR, but the COAX input isn't showing a signal. I have the coax cable going directly from the wall into the coax-in plug in the slingbox. Is there something that needs to be done with FIOS in order for the slingbox tuner to work?

• Re: Fios through Coax
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi RichCareyB,

I'm not well-versed with FiOS, but I don't think you need to do anything special.  If the provider is sending a compatible signal, it should already be dealt with at the optical terminal box outside and coming down the coax in a format you can use.

Your Pro HD's tuner eats old analog NTSC, new ATSC and clear QAM.  If FiOS is still carrying unencrypted digital channels as part of your service, they'll be on clear QAM and you should be able to pull those in.  When you run the setup assistant and configure the tuner input it scans all three broadcast standards.  If there's a compatible signal in there, it'll find it.

Since your Slingbox tuner isn't finding anything but your DVR is, I suspect that your FiOS provider has moved all the QAM digital channels over to encrypted digital.  Anything encrypted requires one of their boxes or a CableCard device.  Might want to give 'em a call, see what they say.

There are two tests you can try:

- If you have a TV with a QAM tuner try hooking the coax straight into it, see if you find anything.  Be mindful that the coax can act as an antenna so you might start picking up local ATSC over-the-air broadcasts.  Don't let that confuse you.  If your TV can grab QAM channels on its own, your Pro HD should be able to as well.

- Try hooking an antenna up to the Slingbox coax in.  If you're in range of any ATSC broadcast stations, you should pick those up during setup.  If so, you know your tuner is working.

If it turns out that your provider has moved their entire channel lineup over to encrypted digital, your Slingbox tuner is pretty much limited to an antenna for ATSC broadcast local stations.

Hope this helps,

- Az

burnside Newbie

I'm in the same boat as you but have an idea that may or may not work.  If you got an adapter (component to coax) then connected the component end to the component out of your DVR then connect the coax end to your slingbox, would you then be able to change channels using the slingbox tuner?  The DVR would unscramble the decrypted signal.  I just don't know if that means you can change the channel once you send the feed back to the tuner.

Here's on of those adapters: http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP5102960.htm?utm_medium=productsearch&utm_source=google

Hi Burnside,

That would be mighty nice !  Unfortunately, I'm afraid it won't work...

The Antenna input (screw-on coax terminal) on a Slingbox or TV is expecting a different kind of signal than what rides over component, composite or S-Video cables.  Even if one finds a way to make the cables fit by using adapters, the signal types are completely different and totally incompatible.  You wouldn't see anything but garbage on the screen, and changing channels with the tuner would be out of the question.

The adapter you linked to is called a flying lead.  It is designed to connect with commercial in-wall distribution system wiring, not home A/V wires.  Regular home Cable TV coax has two wires inside (the copper pin in the middle and the outer braid).  This stuff has 15 wires !    Have a look:

Picture 4.png

That's not going to fit in the Slingbox. 

Even though it doesn't work for this application, I've got say- that cabling system is cool !  You run one super-wire through the wall and screw on whatever ends you need.  If you change equipment, you only need to replace the ends, not the whole cable run.  RapidRun makes the system.

Happy trails,

- Az

burnside Newbie

****, you're right.  I wish we could use that tuner with fios, but oh well.  Thanks for explaining everything though!

No problem man.

For what it's worth, you can use an antenna with the Pro HD's tuner.  Local broadcast stations look pretty good over it.  It bites compared to the lineup on FiOS, but it'll work in a pinch.  I'm going to be ticked when my CableCo drops analog basic cable channels down the coax... not looking forward to it.

Take it easy,

- Az