5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2012 6:06 PM by chakkarinen RSS

Wireless connection Link Speed issues when connected through client bridge.

I've installed dd-wrt on a netgear wireless-n router and set it up in  bridge mode.  I've got my Slingbox and DVR connected to it.  The netgear  is bridged to a Linksys wireless-g.  When I am connected to the Linksys  my wireless network connection link speed consistently shows "54 Mbps"  (it's fine).  When I go to Sling's website (from a computer connected to  my Linksys) and fire up the sling media player I can play back the  programming on my DVR but I get periodic hesitation/skipping.  When the  "skipping" happens, I can see a decrease in kbps in the Sling media  player.  When, I look at the network connection in the Windows Task  Manager, the Link Speed for my wireless network connection is jumping  all over the place.  I'm curious what's going on and how I might fix it?   If I'm not having issues unless connected to the Slingbox, I assume  the Linksys is fine?  Could the issue be a dd-wrt setting for bridge  mode (what should I look at?)?  Could the issue be interference with the  netgear (I have it sitting on top of an entertainment center next to a  cordless phone and tv and the slingbox and dvr are in a cabinet below  it).  Could the issue be my internet connection (7mb down, 0.75 up)?   If I reduce the video playback quality, the issue subsides.  I've seen similar posts about the "skipping" or "hesitation" issue suggesting there might be a firmware problem with the Pro HD.  I'm just not sure where to start troubleshooting.

• Re: Wireless connection Link Speed issues when connected through client bridge.
          bigearner

I'm having the same issue.  I have a new netgear dual band router, new cable modem, etc and usually my slingbox skips and crashes constantly, sometimes 5-10X an hour.  Rarely other times, it wor ks perfectly for 6-8 hours at a time.  Frequently I have to hit CONTROL-ALT-DELETE- just to recover my new quad-core laptop to keep it from crashing completely.

This is not an internet connectivity issue as I have used Netflix and other streaming services hundreds of times with no issues at all.

• Re: Wireless connection Link Speed issues when connected through client bridge.
              chakkarinen Apprentice

I think that it is the upload speed through the Internet that is the key factor controlling smooth streaming of your video.  When you stream Netflix, the upload speed at the Netflix server is the determining factor.   I bet they have designed their connections with plenty of bandwidth.  For your Slingbox, the smoothness of the streaming most likely depends on the upload speed of the network where your SB is physically located.  And if I read you correctly that your SB is in a network with an upload speed of .750 kbps, then I would conclude that is too slow to stream reliably at highest video resolution.   I think at least 2 (or more?) mbps would be necessary to stream smoothly.   So I would suggest talking with your ISP about how you can increase the upload speed of the internet service were your SB is physically located.

I'm curious what bigearner's upload speeds are.  Correct, my published upload speed is 896 Kbps (and it's usually short of that).  I called my isp (Qwest/CenturyLink) and they don't offer anything better up.  Hmmmm.

Looks like this article covers it (1.5 Mbps up at the Slingbox and 1.5 Mbps down at the client for HD).

So this begs a question about "Auto" video quality in the media player.  I've been monitoring performance on Auto and it's unwatchable.  I change the quality to "Best/HD" or "Best" and it's still unwatchable.  If I change the quality to "Better" the quality is ok and the performance is now acceptable.  So what is the point of "Auto?"  As best I can tell it doesn't function as intended, or how I imagine it's intended.

chakkarinen Apprentice

I have also had trouble with the "Auto" setting at times not adjusting the video resolution of my stream to take into account intermittent slowdowns in the UPLOAD speed of the ISP that my SB is physically connected to.   If I manually chose a lower video resolution, then I could eliminate the stuttering.

I had tried (to save money) the "economy" internet service offered by my ISP, but the 1.5 mbps upload speed that they advertised simply was not fast enough to prevent video stuttering.   So, I went back to the "regular" internet service offering 4 mbps upload speeds, and the streaming has returned to normal.