3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 15, 2012 12:48 PM by ranaleon RSS

Is there any way to make this work when you have to connect through the internet through multiple routers

DrMom01

For security reasons my home network is actually 2 networks (an 'Office' one and a 'Family' one both of which are isolated from each via NAT) which both then attach to the main FIOS router.  I can set up the Slingbox and watch it on a laptop or iPad on the "Family" network but I can't get the unit set up for internet viewing. I get to that point in the setup and it just fails saying that it's not set up. 
      I'm pretty sure it's because of the setup I've got I can't port forward through the two routers unless I turn the "Family" one into just a bridge (which I can't do for security reasons) and after fiddling for  3 days I've given up and will return the unit to Amazon for a refund.

It's a shame since it works just fine in the area of the home network but since I want it mostly for viewing on the road it just won't work.

If anyone know any type of work around for this, short of turning the 'Family' router in a bridge please let me know.

Just for more info I have tried the following.

My FIOS's internal IP is 192.168.3.1

The family router is 192.168.1.1 & is shown on the FIOS as 192.168.3.3

The Slingbox is 192.168.1.254

I've tried setting up port forwarding (5001) for the slingbox on the Family router no go

Set up port forwarding for 192.168.3.3 for TCP on the FIOS router no good

Set up port forwarding for 192.168.1.254 on FIOS no good.

Any ideas?