3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2012 1:45 PM by callanish RSS

Bought Slingbox in 2006 - Trying to reconnect

carlislecy

This slingbox actually connects to cable tv with a coaxial cable.  No issues there.  But I am puzzled as to how to connect to "network".  My home computer is connected to a router (provided by the internet supplier) with an ethernet cable.  The router has wireless capabilities as well, and that is how the rest of our computers connect to the network.  There is only one ethernet port on the back of the router and that is in use. 

I am therefore unsure what to do to connect my slingbox?  I cannot unplug the PC from the router and there are no other connections.  Any suggestions?

Thank you.

• Re: Bought Slingbox in 2006 - Trying to reconnect
          callanish Apprentice

Try using an ethernet switch which should allow you to connect to your wireless router as well as your slingbox.

Something like this should work.

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-FS105NA-Switch-5Port-Metal/dp/B00002EQCW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330719502&sr=8-3

carlislecy

Maybe the problem is the router?  I hate to be stupid, but what exactly do we mean by "router"?  Is my DSL modem (with wireless geteway) a router, or do I need some other piece of equipment?  As I said before I have had this hooked up successfully a few years ago and am pretty sure I did not have any router.

callanish Apprentice

Did the hardware ( cable modem / wireless router ) that you had back in 2006 have more than more ethernet port on it in which you originally connected both the slingbox and your ethernet connected P.C to them?  Basically, the gateway is the router. When you mentioned that you have an all in one modem / wireless router and you have your other hardware connected to it wirelessly, except for one computer which is directly  connected to it using the one ethernet  port that comes out of the modem, I'm assuming that in 2006, you had more than one ethernet port to work with, thus the reason you could have both your slingbox and your  P.C connected to it in the past. Now that you only have only one ethernet port to work with, you need the ethernet switch to create more ethernet ports which will allow you to do the same. You take the one ethernet connection coming out of the DSL modem / wireless gateway, and connect it to the ethernet switch. You plug the P.C and slingbox into the other connections on the switch and you should be able to run the slingbox and P.C simultaneously. It should be the easiest way in which to solve your problem.