14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2010 9:25 PM by eferz RSS

Need help setting up sling box

angus0510

Slingbox keeps blinking. My router does assign an IP but slingbox still blinks.

• Re: Need help setting up sling box
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Angus,

Have you run setup ?  Which light is blinking ?  What else is going on ?

More details, please.  There's not enough here to get started.

- Az

angus0510

I did run the setup from the web and it states that slingbox is not detected...

Slingbox will not detect my router but my router does assign an IP.

Power Slingbox on and connect network cable. Slingbox will keep blinking but never stops blinking or get  solid. I tried to do a reset but I get the same issue. The power light is solid for the slingbox and working. I will only get a blinking network light for the slingbox.

Router is working fine with other computers in house. Router is also assigning a IP address to the slingbox.

Need help would be greatly appreciated because this is the first time setting up.

Thanks

Angus

Hi Angus,

Thanks for the additional details, they were helpful.

Try these things, see if they get you any further:

Blinking Network Light

A blinking network light normally happens when your Slingbox is having trouble getting an IP address from the router.  You mentioned that you attempted a reset and your router is telling you that it has assigned an address, but apparently the Slingbox thinks otherwise.

Have a look here for more information and detailed troubleshooting steps:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000145.html

If you have a Slingbox SOLO, your firmware could be causing problems.  This doc talks about that:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005589.html

Web Setup Can't Find Your Slingbox

If Web Setup can't find your Slingbox, try using the full desktop SlingPlayer program as an alternative.  If you don't have a copy you can download one here:

SlingPlayer v2.0.4 for Windows

The desktop version of SlingPlayer is cool, but it's not magic: Your slingbox still needs to show up properly on your home network before Setup will work.  Also, you need to be on your home network when you run Setup- can't do it over the internet.

Give this stuff a shot, post back and say how it goes.

Good luck,

- Az

Roguefirm

My slingbox pro hd will not read the network any longer.  The horseshoe lignt goes on and off the power light is on and I have tried directly connecting slingbox to my router.  No luck.

Any help is appreciated.

Hi Roguefirm,

It sounds like your Pro HD just needs to be configured, possibly reset to factory defaults first.

The support doc links in my last post might help, have a look at them if you haven't already.

Here's the low-down on blinking lights:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000041.html

Nutshell- If your "horseshoe" is blinking, try running the setup assistant.  It means your Slingbox is not configured.

Here's how to do that on Windows:

http://setup.slingbox.com/

...and here's some general info on the whole process, as well as some related reading.

http://support.slingbox.com/go/setup

Hope this helps,

- Az

angus0510

Az,

I downloaded the Slingbox software aa sugguested but it still does not recongize my network. It will just keep blinking (the network light in the front). If I go into my router configuration I can see a device on my network called My Slingbox.

My network is working fine but the Slingbox does not find the network. I have done a reset by holding the reset button for 2 seconds and even a full reset by holding the reset button for 20 seconds.

I have even tried to setup at my friends house and it does the same thing.

Okay for setting up all I connect is the power and the network cable. Just to get it configured.... Correct?

I do not get the U in the front of the Slingbox to turn on. Not sure if that is important for now.

Angus

Hi Angus,

Hmm... let's dig a little deeper.  We're missing something here, it shouldn't be this difficult to get your Slingbox set up.  Unless your Slingbox is broken (hardware failure), I think we can figure it out together and get it working.

• What model Slingbox do you have ?

• What brand/model router do you have ?

• What version of WIndows does your computer use ?

• You've mentioned a few times that your router shows something about "My Slingbox".  Does it show an IP address or any other details ? What IP address does it list ?

You've established that your internet connection is working and the router is doing it's primary job.  You've also completed a hard reset on the Slingbox (a few, actually) which should let you set things up with a fresh start.

The blinking lights you're describing sounds like a common error condition: It means that the Slingbox is working but it can not communicate with the router.

The condition the lights are reporting has nothing to do with advanced router configuration, port forwarding, the internet, remote viewing... none of that stuff.  It hasn't gotten that far.  Your Slingbox can't find the router.

You mentioned that your router is showing a device called My Slingbox in its config screens.  I haven't forgotten about that.   It sounds like good news, but I'm rather puzzled over it.  When you answer the questions I asked at the top, it might make more sense to me.  Does your router give any other details about My Slingbox ?

Until the mystery of why your Slingbox can't find the router gets sorted out, you're kind of stuck.  The Setup Assistant won't work, and that's really what you need to get to.

During your troubleshooting, one thing you have not mentioned is if you have tried using a different ethernet cable between the Slingbox and the router.  If you have a bad cable, it could account for 100% of the problems you're having.  Just a thought...

You asked a question in your last post, let me try to answer that before I take off:

Okay for setting up all I connect is the power and the network cable. Just to get it configured.... Correct?

Pretty much, yes.  If things work the way they should, that's enough to get your Slingbox established on the network to the point you can start the setup assistant.  There's no harm in hooking up the video source though.

Look forward to hearing back from you

- Az

angus0510

Az,

Thanks for your help and patients....

• What model Slingbox do you have ? Slingbox Pro - SB200-100

• What brand/model router do you have ? AT&T UVerse 2-WIre Router - 3800HGV-B

• What version of WIndows does your computer use ? WIndows XP

• You've mentioned a few times that your router shows something about "My Slingbox".  Does it show an IP address or any other details ? What IP address does it list ?

Yes it does assign an IP and the IP is 192.168.1.78 (I have attached a screen shot)

I have also tried different cables. I also tried to set it up at a friends home and I get the same results...

If it is an issue with the Slingbox what are my options?

Thanks

Angus

Hi Angus,

Thanks for the screen shots and details, they were quite helpful.  I downloaded a copy of the manual for the 3800HGV-B and read that over.  Also had a quick chat with AT&T's UVerse Tier-2 support folks.  I've been thinking about switching from Cable to UVerse myself, this seemed as good a time as any to ask some questions.

The UVerse guys told me that the ethernet switch built into the Two-Wire 3800HGV-B behaves in a normal fashion.  That is to say it's on the LAN side of the firewall, traffic moves freely between devices connected to it via ethernet, and it should work like the ports on any other home router.

This means Slingbox home viewing and running the Setup Assistant really shouldn't be a problem with the UVerse router.  The router will assign a DHCP address to the Slingbox when it's connected, and your computer should be able to see the Slingbox without any further configuration.

A little more configuration is required when setting up for remote viewing, but that's beyond the scope of what we're trying to fix at the moment.  Home viewing and Setup should work even if remote viewing isn't configured.  For future reference though, the Tier-2 guys suggested this link with step-by-step instructions when the time comes.

The blinking lights you've described on the Slingbox are saying it can't find the router.  It concerns me that a hard reset hasn't fixed that (it should have)... but since the router appears to be assigning it an address, try pinging it.

From the Command Prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt):

ping -n 10 192.168.1.78

That's the IP you said was assigned.  My Slingbox has a different IP, but here's what my output looked like:

WinDOS Ping Successful.JPG

(Click to Enlarge)

If you can ping it successfully, you should be able to run Setup from that computer.

If ping fails, we're pretty much down to either a hardware problem on the Slingbox or a software firewall on your computer.  If you have another computer at home to try from, go for it.

If ping succeeds but the Setup Assistant still can't find your Slingbox (either setup.slingbox.com or the Slingbox Directory in the desktop Player), it's almost certainly a Slingbox hardware problem at this point.

If it is an issue with the Slingbox what are my options?

Well, if it's under the 1-year warranty and the support guys determine that it is indeed a covered hardware failure, they'll fix it for you.  Otherwise, you would have to pay to get it fixed or replaced.

I hope it doesn't come down to that, but if it does search around on the forum and read what others have said about power adapters.  A number of people with hardware failures have found that they simply have a dead or dying power supply.  If that ends up being you too, it's a cheap and easy fix.

- Az

angus0510

Az,

Once again Thanks for all your help...

Well bad news is that the ping option did not work. I get destination unreachable....

Who would I contact about checking my warranty?

I was able to bother my friends Slingbox power adapter but I still get the same issue.

My only question is that my friends has a normal Slingbox and I have the Slingbox Pro. Not sure if the power cables are diiferent?

I guess I will have to contact Slingbox support?

Thanks

Angus

Hi Angus,

Sorry to hear the bad news.  I'd say it's time to talk with Sling Tech Support on this one.  If there is anything more that could be tried from home, I can not think of what it could be.

Well bad news is that the ping option did not work. I get destination unreachable....

Then the problem is now clear- your Slingbox is not talking to the router.  We have checked both sides of the connection, it's simply not accepting an IP address and establishing a connection.  We've gone through all the normal remedies and reasonable troubleshooting steps.

Who would I contact about checking my warranty?

SlingMedia can check that for you when you contact them.  I don't know of another way to check if you don't remember/have the sales receipt in this case.  Your Sling Pro came with a 1-year hardware warranty from the date of purchase.

Ordinarily you could go to support.slingbox.com and log in with your Sling Account to find out (the page would show your Slingbox info along with it's activation date), but that doesn't work if your Slingbox isn't set up.  Hopefully you're the original owner.  I don't know if the warranty is transferrable.  It could be, but I'm not certain.

I was able to bother my friends Slingbox power adapter but I still get the same issue ... has a normal Slingbox and I have the Slingbox Pro ... Not sure if the power cables are diiferent?

Actually, they are different !  There are three types, Sling Pro uses it's own:

• Classic, Tuner, AV have the same adapter
                                                • Pro has it's own unique adapter
                                                • SlingCatcher, Solo and Pro-HD have the same adapter

I guess I will have to contact Slingbox support?

Yeah, that's what I would do, Angus.  I think you have gone as far as you can without asking the real tech crew for help.

You might consider printing a copy of this thread for handy reference if you decide to call Support.  I recently discovered the PDF button on the side near the top of these forum pages, it's nice.  It's a drag, but Support is going to have to revisit most of what you have already tried.  It's necessary for them to do their job and help you.

I hope you get your Slingbox working soon !  Wish we could've figured it out.  I'm tapped out at this point though, can't think of anything else. 

Good luck Angus !

- Az

Bryanod Novice

Something I would try is a reset on your router.  Looking at the screen shots and this help doc

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=23&text=&cat=1&sort=

Your sling is active on the first screenshot but on the next its status is off. I think your router has a application mapped to that ip and MAC address.  So after the reset of the sling it requests a ip but the router sees that mac as already assigned

roblory

I am so upset with ATT and the new 3800HGV-B router.  Slingbox worked great until I 'upgraded' to ATT U-verse Internet and Voice phone service.  I can Sling in my house on my network but cannot set up my Internet viewing.  Slingbox doesn't show the router and it gives it a MAC address that is NOT the one that is on my router.

Will call ATT Tier-2 tomorrow but I'm ready to go back to my dsl and my old modem.  No one seems to be able to help where I - a computer novice - can understand them.