5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 2, 2012 6:04 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Problem controlling Slingbox with 2 Directv receivers in same room

joden

I have 2 each Directv receivers in my room where my Slingbox PRO-HD is set up, one D12 and the other HR24.  The D12 is standard definition, the other is HD with a dvr.  Since they are both in the same room, the D12 is set up with IR for the remote (only setting), the HR24 with RF (it could take either IR or RF signals from the remote).  This allows the boxes to be controlled separately by 2 remotes in the same room.  If both were set to IR, it would control both boxes at the same time from either remote which is not what you would want. (The second receiver is solely for the remote location but without the hassle of purchasing a separate swm dish and equipment, besides with a Slingbox, I can watch everywhere including my WP7 device!!!)

I just purchased the Slingbox so that I can watch my Directv at another location.  I am able to set both of them up and all works great, except... If I put the IR blasters on both receivers, it does the same thing as setting both receivers up with IR and using one remote.  This is why one receiver is setup to use RF for the remote and the other IR.  I have been googling like crazy for some device to convert IR signals to RF signals, but to no avail.

What I am trying to accomplish is for my HR24 receiver, I could put the IR blaster from the Slingbox  in front of some IR input device that would convert the signals to RF that the HR24 can use so that the HR24 can change channels, watch recorded shows without effecting the other receiver.  This all comes about because while I am trying to use the Slingbox to stream my Directv to a remote location, someone at home could be using the main receiver which is the HR24 and I would not want to change the channel on them, but would like to play recorded content as they watch live TV.  I know that I can always use the currently set up receiver, the D12, but this would be no fun!!

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

• Re: Problem controlling Slingbox with 2 Directv receivers in same room
          alanrichey42 Master

Why don't you change the Remote Address for your second box to something other than the default ?  Then you can use IR for both boxes and the Slingbox.

joden

I have been trying this, but ran into a small problem.  For my D12 box, I set up the remote for IR (doesn't have RF), AV1 using 00002 address; this works for the receiver when in front of it.  When I connect to the Slingbox to watch this box, the software for the remote will not allow me to switch to the AV1 setting.  I right click on the remote and can't find any setting switching the remote for the AV1 setting.  The software representing the remote shows the DTv, AV1, AV2, and TV switch just like the real remote, but it won't allow me to select anything except the first setting on the switch, the DTv one. So the software remote for the box will not work unless I switch back to using the DTv setting, of which the HR24 box uses.

Thanks for your quick reply!

alanrichey42 Master

Unfortunately I have never seen a DirecTV box so most of that means nothing to me    All I do know from reading this forum is that you can set one of the boxes, it's associated 'real' remote and the Slingbox virtual remote to Address 1 and then repeat the same operation on the second box but using Remote Address 2.  Then you control the boxes individually, both with the real remotes and their respective Slingbox remotes.

joden

You got me thinking on this one... SOLVED!  I set up the D12 receiver's remote to address 00002 and receiver mode to AV1/AV2. Switched the remote to AV1 (instead of DTv).  In the setup for Slingbox for the receiver (Composite input) I set up the receiver type to Directv D10 Address 2.  This worked for the first receiver.

Next, I set up the HR24 reciever's remote to use IR (instead of RF) and kept the default address of 00001 and the receiver mode to Directv.  I kept the remote switch on the default setting of DTv.  In the setup for Slingbox for the receiver (Component input) I set up the receiver type to Directv HR22 (there was no HR24 type).  This worked for the second receiver.

The last problem I had, was when I was setting up the IR blasters.  Originally, when I set up the D12 and checked out all functionality, then went on to set up the HR24, the remote stopped functioning on the D12.  The 2 boxes were stacked with the D12 on the bottom.  When I pointed the blaster on top of the HR24, when I tried to control the D12 from the Internet, the HR24 blaster interferred with the functionality of the software remote in Slingbox.  I solved this by mounting the IR blaster on the bottom of the top receiver facing up and the bottom receiver mounted on the top of the box facing downward.

Waa Laaaaaaaaa!!!

Thanks for your timely help!!