33 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2010 6:31 PM by gmanvbva Branched to a new discussion. RSS

No Normal Window in Mac Os

kmoller

I can see slingbox picture in full screen or left/right docking but not normal...no window shows up.  Any ideas

• Re: No Normal Window in Mac Os
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi kmoller,

That's a weird one, haven't heard of that problem before.

If you're running Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or 10.6 Snow Leopard, I would first check to see if the main Sling viewing window is hiding on another screen in Spaces.  If you have it enabled, F8 triggers all-spaces mode (similar to F9 Expose), or you can go to Apple > System Preferences > Expose & Spaces to modify it's behavior.  Spaces is cool, but it's easy for things to go missing by hiding on other screens.  Obviously this doesn't apply if Spaces isn't enabled.

Next, try forcing the SlingPlayer window to be on top with View > Always On Top.  While you're at it, see what happens if you command the on-screen remote to pop up.  View > Show Remote Control.

If you still can't find your window, try creating a new user account and run SlingPlayer from there.  Apple > System Preferences > Accounts.  When you jump into the new account, no need to download/install a fresh copy of the Player.  Just go into your Applications folder and run it from there.  Your Slingbox directory will only show Slingboxes that are on your LAN, any remote additions you made in your main account won't be there.

Running SlingPlayer from a newly created account should be totally fresh and the main viewing window should be there.  If it is- and you haven't figured out what happened in your main account- your best bet would be to completely remove SlingPlayer from your system and reinstall.  Kind of drastic, but it's faster/easier than tracking down an elusive bug.

You can delete the test user account at this point if you like.

To totally trash SlingPlayer so you can reinstall and start over, log back into your main account and use this support doc:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000147.html

Be sure to follow both sets of instructions, including removal of the prefs files.  Also, remember to write down any SlingIDs for entries in your Slingbox Directory- those will be wiped out.  Window > Slingbox Directory > [select Slingbox] > Edit... > Slingbox ID textbox.

Hope this helps !

- Az

kmoller

Thanks for your suggestions.  I reinstalled the software and before I connected to the Slingbox I saw the Player window.  After connection it is gone again.  I have Mac Book Pro snow lepard with the high res video card, if that helps.  I used chat but they were no help saying refer to the knowledge base.  Any other ideas?

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Sorry, no.  Like I mentioned before, I haven't seen this one before.

Did you try creating a new system account and running SlingPlayer from there ?  I'm curious about that.  Completely removing/reinstalling the app should be equivalent, but I've found that making a new account is a quick way to do a clean run and catch if I missed something.

The dual-mode graphics on the MBP is cool !  Have you tried flipping over to the integrated Intel video instead of the faster discrete nVidia board ?

If both of those fail, my suspicion is that your Mac is too new and and the current Player has a minor incompatibility.  Perhaps someone else will chime in, I'd like to know the answer too. 

- Az

kmoller

Yes, I did make new account but same issue.  I did just turn off keyboard shortcuts for expose and the a sliver of the window showed up at the bottom of my screen.  I pulled it up and it worked.  However when I closed sling player and then reopened it was gone..  It remains gone.. Thanks for your help

kmoller

Well I found a work around.  I dumb down the display to 1440 x 852.  I then open sling player, nothing, so I go to full screen, hit esc.  A player window appears.  I can then shift back to full resolution 1680 x 1050 and window remains.  But when I shut down and open again it is gone.  Repeat process to watch in player window..  At least it works some way.

Irry

Thanks for sharing!

tbolioli

The issue is the new higher screen resolutions are larger than what was assumed when the app was written. The window is actually there, just hidden. If you can't see it in the lower left hand corner, then change your resolution to a lower resolution and then open sling player. Move the window into the upper left hand corner of the screen. Shut down sling app to save the window position. Change your resolution back. Open the sling app. It should be there. Keep the window out of the extreme right and bottom sides of the screen in the future.     

kmoller

Believe me if it were as simple as positioning the window in the middle of the screen I would be happy, but you are incorrect to think fixing it once it will be there the next time you open slingbox player.  You have to adjust the resolution every time inorder for the window to appear, as I described in my workaround.  It is time for them to realize resolution has increased and fix the issue.

tbolioli

Well then aliens must be inhabiting my new 15" MBP because I rescued the window from outside the reaches of the screen by deleting the window position entries in the slingplayer pref file, opened the application and it was up far left near 0,0, closed the application to save the window position and it has worked ever since. The key though, you can't bring it back into the far reaches of the screen. You need to leave it towards the middle.

esverc

I too have a May 2010 MacBook Pro with the high resolution screen and I see the same problem. My workaround is to launch Slingplayer, go to Full Screen Mode (Command-F), press the Escape key (at which point I used to get a mini screen in the middle but now it's just a sliver of the title bar in the lower left corner) and then select Window->Zoom. This might be easier than changing the resolution.

Personally, I'd like to see a fix as soon as possible.

syvakma1

Hi There

I'm having the same problem with my 2010 Macbook Pro with GT330M GPU. I found that the problem must be related in automatic graphic switching. When I disable automatic graphic swithing everything works like it should.

br. Marko

msoued

I had a smiliar problem..

I have the new Macbook Pro 15' with high res.

my player would disapear if i set to watch as sidebar (left or right). I could hear the audio though.  if I went to the menu and watch full screen or normal screen, everything was working.. but as soon as I set to watch as a sidebar the player would disapear again.

I don't use expose.

what fixes the issue was to delete the slingplayer files from library/preferences (there are 3 files there, you don't need to delete the slingplayer folder with your profiles) and open slingplayer with rosetta.. (go to applications right click the icon, click on get info and check open with rosetta)

when I do that I could watch all windows correctly... maybe that is an easy solution that will work for who are having problems with the normal window disapearing.

the problem indeed must be related to the new mac pro with high res, because I have an old macbook with regular res, and I haven't had any issues.

I have been having another VERY annoying problem and again, only on my new mac pro, and not on the old one.. both are running the same version of Mac OS X which is 10.6.4

but coincidently after I updated to 10.6.4, on the new MacPro high res.  after watching for a little while on full screen, as soon as I move the mouse cursor or I tap a button the display is turned off, and the sound continues for a little while.. about 30 seconds...  after that the whole computer freezes, and I am required to turn off and turn back on the computer... it doesn't seem to happen if I am watching in safari but I HATE watching slinplayer on the browser..

the problem happens wether I watch with rosetta or not.

i tried also locking the graphic card either in Nvidia or Intel.. it also didin't solve the problem

did anybody experienced the same problem? or has any solution?

slingplayer desktop hasn't been updated in ages, did the company abandoned it completely in favor of the horrible experience of watching slingplayer on a web browser?

Expert

Hey all - just checking in on this. Have you tried running the app under Rosetta? Similar to these steps, you would enable Rosetta for the SlingPlayer application (just substitute the steps for the Safari application in that article with the same steps for SlingPlayer).

I'd be grateful if anyone here could confirm or deny success with this technique!

hungarianhc

I'd love to see a fix ASAP. I don't have rosetta installed, but I think it's pathetic how long it has been since there has been an update to this app!

Expert

Normal window style unavailable when using SlingPlayer for Mac

Note that Rosetta must be present within OS X Snow Leopard in order for you to run PPC applications. More here and here for info on Rosetta installation.

And as the article above notes, the best fix is to use Watch on Slingbox.com.

Thanks!

hungarianhc

Just sucks that Sling won't actually focus on developing the OS X app... I hate web apps. I especially hate craplets I need to install.

tbolioli

That's OK, the applet no longer works after the graphics update last week. Also, the "latest" version of sling player mac causes the video to stutter after a little while (audio is fine) since "upgrading" the HD PRO to the latest firmware, the "preferred method of watching sling" applet is not working anymore (firefox) and there is no HD iPad version. I guess there is always the rosetta option of watching a SD stream running in emulation of a few generations old CPU... Oh, and I can't even get a HD stream in Sling for PC running under virtualization because the virtualized host is unable to exploit the full network bandwidth. Anyhow, that means I paid $200+ for an HD sling that I can't watch in HD. I am stuck watching it on an iPad with the SD iPhone app in 2x mode.

Thanks Echostar!

hungarianhc

Don't forget the fact that we OS X users can't use Safari. Well, we can... if we force it to run in 32-bit mode. AWESOME!

BigSteve

Now I have both the stuttering video and the open, fullscreen, escape problem.  The only way I found around the video stutter was to reduce the resolution to some rediculously low level at which it is not really worth watching anymore.  I have basically stopped using it.

I am very disappointed with the mac player, and the "watch from the web line" is equally short-sighted.  The web app takes much longer to launch, and actually start watching anything.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

eferz Expert

BigSteve wrote:

Now I have both the  stuttering video and the open, fullscreen, escape problem.  The only way  I found around the video stutter was to reduce the resolution to some  rediculously low level at which it is not really worth watching  anymore.  I have basically stopped using it.

I  am very disappointed with the mac player, and the "watch from the web  line" is equally short-sighted.  The web app takes much longer to  launch, and actually start watching anything. *** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

Yeah, I think they should have taken the time to update the stand alone Mac player.  I think its been two years since it has been updated.  It doesn't seem like they're into updating their software.  I know people with Macs with multiple Slingboxes, and they have to go back and forth between the Web Slingplayer and the Slingplayer Desktop.  They find it annoying.

gmanvbva

Very disappointed in support from Sling so far (after owning one for a month or so).

Login issues that took weeks to sort out???

Borderline unsupported applications and charge for basic support.

Mac desktop client seems like complete ****. Remote features don't work half the time and normal screen never shows up. Right and left start off the screen and are barely visible and need to be drug out...