17 Replies Latest reply: Feb 25, 2012 12:30 AM by lebon7 RSS

Spiderbox Remote for Slingbox

lebon7

Hi All

Just got me slingbox and have managed to connect it and it works fine. Only problem I am having is with the remote control file as I am unable to downlaod it. I have followed the instructions and when I get to type the location of you file, it says not recognised. I must be doing something wrong so has anyone here has an idiots guide on how to with the spiderbox please. Thank you

• Re: Spiderbox Remote for Slingbox
          lebon7

Anyone please 30 odd views?

alanrichey42 Master

I think the lack of a response is because your post doesn't actually make sense.   At no point during the setup process do I recall having to type in the location of a file.    Can you be a LOT more specific on your problem.

lebon7

Sorry if I am not making any sense here. Let me start again at the point where it says REMOTE CONTROL SETUP-I click on' Try selecting from our list of supported device' and then on SELECT DEVICE TYPE- I  click on SATELLITE and on SELECT MANUFACTURER I click on CUSTOM and then click on NEXT it brings me to ENTER THE LOCATION OF THE.BIN FILE YOU ARE UPLOADING and there is where I Type 'S2010' and click on TEST and it comes up with INVALID CUSTOM .BIN FILE, CLICK HERE FOR MORE HELP. I hope this makes sense now and please tell me where am I going wrong. Thanks

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, that setup routine is completely unfamiliar to me.   What OS are you using ?  What setup routine are you using ?   Take me through it step by step.

lebon7

This set up I am refering to is the remote control for Spiderbox, as you are aware that slingbox has no virtual remote control for spiderbox.

Now I have read your 'readme' file on how to install the remote control but its not working for me. Is it possible for you to give me a step by step guide on how to install the remote control for the spiderbox on my slingbox. This is for pc users.Thank you in advance

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I have never actually heard of the Spiderbox so I can't help you there.

Now I have read your 'readme' file on how to install the remote control but its not working for me. Is it possible for you to give me a step by step guide on how to install the remote control for the spiderbox on my slingbox. This is for pc users.Thank you in advance

Again, you just aren't giving us enough information, why so reticent ?  There is no such thing as 'too much information' when you are trying to explain a problem to someone.

Where have you got the Custom Remote file from (EXACT URL please) ?

If it is one of mine then the instructions are already a step-by-step guide.   And tell me it's 'not working' is not at all helpful.  What does that actually mean ?

lebon7

Alanrichey42 thanks for your help .

alanrichey42 Master

Errr...    I didn't help, I was still trying to figure out what your problem was.    Have you got it sorted now ?

lebon7

Nope I have not got it sorted yet, as I find it odd when you said you have not heard of Spiderbox. I have seen threads on spiderbox here and which you have replied to and also attached remote control file called SATZEN500 I think which on that thread claims to have worked with Spiderbox. I think it would be easier to correspond with an email instead of here and it could also be quicker. Thanks

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I thought Spiderbox was some clever device.  Again, your terminology confuses me.  When you said ".. setup the remote control for the Spiderbox.." I thought you meant it had a programmable remote that you werer setting up.

I am quite happy to help you, but you must help me as well.   You still haven't detailed EXACTLY what you are doing (remember I am not there with you and I am not psychic, so you have to tell me enough that I can reproduce what you are doing and see what is going wrong).

So it's up to you

lebon7

Ok fine, Spiderbox is a satellite box and I have it connected to my slingbox. My slingbox does not recognise my spiderbox as one of its satellite boxes so therefore it does not have a compatable remote control. Now according to spiderbox thread here  going back to 2010 it says you have created  a virtual remote control for the spiderbox which I believe is called SATZENZ500. I have followed your instructions on the 'readme' which I have stated on my post no 3 here and I am unable to get it downloaded . Hope I am making sense now.

alanrichey42 Master

If you followeed the instructions, why have you ignored the part that says:

"....If you have problems please do NOT just report back it 'doesn't work', that is totally useless for someone trying to understand what is going on...."

Please go through the steps I recommend and give a PROPER report on what is happening,.

lebon7

'Sorry if I am not making any sense here. Let me start again at the point where it says REMOTE CONTROL SETUP-I click on' Try selecting from our list of supported device' and then on SELECT DEVICE TYPE- I  click on SATELLITE and on SELECT MANUFACTURER I click on CUSTOM and then click on NEXT it brings me to ENTER THE LOCATION OF THE.BIN FILE YOU ARE UPLOADING and there is where I Type 'S2010' and click on TEST and it comes up with INVALID CUSTOM .BIN FILE, CLICK HERE FOR MORE HELP'. All this on slingbox set up menu which I replied to you on post number 3 which I think you ignored. Anyway lets move on and thanks for the replies as we seem to not understand one another.

alanrichey42 Master

I dio understand what you are saying, I just don't recognize anything you talk about.   And you keep refusing to tell me what you are doing.  Let me see if I can get the information out of you by asking specific questions,.

1.  What platform are you using to setup the Slingbox ?

2.  Is it using Windows or Mac Operating System.

3.  What software are you using to setup the Slingbox ?   Standalone Slingplayer ?   Web-based Sling Viewer ?   Something else ?

Ahh..    A light suddenly clicks on    You talk about 'Try selecting from our list of supported device' ?   I think that is the terminology used by the web-based player,.

So you seem to have totally ignored this comment in the instructions:

(These instructions assume you have installed the standalone Slingplayer on your PC/MAC, as you cannot install Custom Remotes from the Web-based player.  If you do not have the program see http://support.slingbox.com/go/windows-download-desktop-us or http://support.slingbox.com/go/dl-mac-desktop)

So I repeat, PLEASE follow the instructions exactly and read them fully.