7 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2010 10:47 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Black and White

matawanakee

I have an original Slingbox that has worked just fine for years. I rebuilt my laptop and re-installed the Slingbox software. My TV displays in black and white only, no color. Please help. It was working before the reinstall of my laptop. I am very far from home.

• Re: Black and White
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Matawanakee,

What sources are hooked up to your Sling Classic ?  When you get the Black & White video, are you using the Tuner input ?

Since the only thing that has changed is the Player software on your laptop, my guess is that you're trying to watch the Tuner and it's misconfigured somehow.

If you have access to a Windows computer try using the Web Player to connect, see if your color returns:

- Go to http://www.sling.com/live_tv

- Log in with your Sling account, should be the same one you use here on the answers.sling forum.

- Add your Slingbox to the directory if necessary.  You'll need your SlingID for that.

Sling Classic isn't supported, but it does work on the Web player if you're using Windows.  It won't work from a Mac.

The other thing to try is re-running the setup assistant.  If you're trying to watch the tuner input, pay special attention to the config options in that section.

Post back with any other details or clues you think might be helpful. 

Good luck,

- Az

matawanakee

I am using s video input with tivo. I reinstalled the desktop application and still have black and white. I am home now so I am going to reboot everything.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Matawanakee,

Alright, TiVO over S-Video... gotcha.  Disregard what I said earlier about the Tuner.

Rebooting everything is a good call, hope that does it for you ! 

If not...

- Verify that the TiVO connection and wires are working. Take the S-Video cable that goes to your Slingbox, connect it to a TV, see if you get color.

- If possible, try slinging in and watching from a different computer.  Do you get color ?

- I suggested trying the Web Player in my previous post (requires Windows since you have a Sling Classic).  Did you have a chance to try that ?

This certainly could be a player/software thing, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I mean, the coincidence is impossible to ignore- it worked fine until you rebuilt your laptop-  but I can't think of any good reason for the player to drop color but otherwise work.  Same goes for your Slingbox.

Regardless, the suggestions I wrote above should help narrow things down.  Post back and say how it goes.

Good luck,

- Az

Bryanod Novice

Black and white can come from the the saturation setting in the sling setup assistant.  Go into the setup again and take the slider for saturation in the picture and audio settings and move it to the right..

If you haven fixed it already

matawanakee

I reinstalled the sling player and got color and sound but no internet. I uninstalled and reinstalled, opened ports on the router (it had worked with UPnP before) and still no network. I finally pressed the reset button, reinstalled the player, and added the slingbox to the directory as a new one, and voila... it could be seen on the internet.... but now I have no sound.

I have uninstalled the software again and still no sound.. I am very frustrated. I had sound before I did the reset. Any ideas?

matawanakee

Computer troublshooting 101, are the cables all connected? The s-video connector was pushed almost all the way in. The video worked, but no sound. Once I pushed it all the way in and felt the click, the sound worked!

But with all things... now I have another problem .. I was able to go through all the steps to make sure the slingbox could be seen on the internet.

today... on my laptop with the internet connection, the network settings link is grayed out. On my desktop it is not grayed out and that player confirms that my slingbox can be seen over the internet. My laptop says it is not configured for the internet and the network settings wizard is grayed out.

I did try a reinstall of the player to no avail.

Ugh!! help!!

alanrichey42 Master
                            Computer troublshooting 101, are the cables all connected? The s-video connector was pushed almost all the way in. The video worked, but no sound. Once I pushed it all the way in and felt the click, the sound worked!

Hate to contradict you, but in case anyone else is reading this, I should point out the S-Video cable doesn't carry the sound signal so pushing it in more firmly cannot have had any effect.  The sound is carried on the 2 red/white composite cables, maybe you jolted them while refitting the S-Video cable?

Sorry

Al