4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2014 6:49 AM by fbuckwalter RSS

Slingplayer wants access to all my files and websites I visit?

lrdapollo

So I log into Slingplayer and it says there is a new update for Google Chrome.  The installer pops up and the dialog box says that Slingplayer has access to:

"All data on your computer and the websites you visit"

My first post got deleted.  Whats the deal Sling Media?

Here's a screenshot:

http://i.imgur.com/PhNCU.jpg

• Re: Slingplayer wants access to all my files and websites I visit?
          Apprentice

Hi lrdapollo,

It seems that you are having some issues with the SlingPlayer application when updating it on your computer while using the Google Chrome web browser.

The pop-up window you get belongs to the installation of the Google Chrome plug-in. If you try to use a different web browser (i.e. Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox) you will not get this pop-up window. Therefore, this is not related to the SlingPlayer web-based application but your web browser version in use.

Hope this helps!

Regards

skaar

I found this researching this as well.

I want to know EXACTLY what this plug-in is monitoring within my browser and my PC.  Are you aware of Canadian privacy laws and that requirement, people?

Their privacy policy is online at : http://ca.slingbox.com/get/privacy-policy but has no information about the plugin.

fbuckwalter

I found this upsetting.  So the NSA owns Slingbox? Where is Snowdon when we need him? (only kidding!)

Really, it may be the nature of the beast that they have all this access but who (other than a computer) has time to look at all that stuff. I don't recall this on my other computer and it only popped up when I got my new one. I think I will just chuck the Slingbox and get a satellite dish for the cabin.  Then they will only know what I am watching and not the passwords for my bank account which should be easily obtained by anyone at Slingbox who wants to sell the info.

Enjoy!