5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2012 1:46 PM by bravo261 RSS

Someone else watching my Slingbox

pro2

In spite of changing the password in my Sling account I still get someone else watching my box.

What can be done to stop this?

• Re: Someone else watching my Slingbox
          AcaCandy Newbie

When you try to access the sling player, it shows you the IP address that is currently connected.

pro2

Yes, it does.  But that does not help, particularly as the IP address could be spoofed from anywhere in the world.

Any ideas about how to stop it?  I have not only changed the email address of the account name, and set up a new password, but still they are getting in.  So there must be some other way of getting to the Slingbox other than via the Sling account.

AcaCandy Newbie

Have you changed the password on your router? How securely do you have it set up? And certainly the IP address could be spoofed, BUT, have you tried tracing it to see WHERE it's coming from? Have you checked the log on your router to see if there is a matching IP address? My guess is that it's someone that you know. Hacking into a slingbox is not a high priority for hackers.

chakkarinen Apprentice

The HAK5.org streaming (TV) program reports in a recent episode that wireless routers can be easily hacked -- even when running in WPA-encrypted mode -- if WPS (WPA Protected Setup) is turned on, which is the default setting for nearly all home user wireless router manufacturers.   The show's host's immediate suggest was to disable WPS in your router, then change the encryption password for your router and reboot both the router and all of your devices connected to it.  And leave WPS disabled thereafter.