13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2012 3:52 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Question about Remotes

colonelpanik

I have a question about setting up my remote that does not seem to apply to the generally "pointed to" thread on the three most common issues.

The issue is that I cannot seem to find the right skin for my remote, which comes with the Bell TV 9200 PVR.  It gives me a skydish non pvr remote.  I can also select the generic remote that works fine.  I can do pretty much everything with that remote that I can with my own remote on the TV.

I am just wondering what I need to do to get the actual remote that my PVR uses.  I went through the setup and selected the proper PVR and everything.

Can it be that it is because I downloaded the thick client rather then the Web based one?  They both seem to work fine.  Would just be nice to have my remote.

• Re: Question about Remotes
          alanrichey42 Master

Sling have produced only something like 150 (as far as I know) realistic remote skins, mainly for the most popular models.  Then, when a device is selected they either link it to one of those or to the generic remote.   Looks like they have mis-linked your box to the wrong remote.   If your 'skin' hasn't been produced then it should default to the generic remote.  The moderators need to check if that is the case, and raise a ticket.

You could always design your own      https://community.sling.com/thread/8533?tstart=0

SRALPH Newbie

Is the Bell TV 9200 PVR a unit with dual tuners (TV1 & TV2)?  If so, it's just a rebranded Dish Satellite box from the USA.  I have a similar unit (9241 I think?).

Just checked my setup online.  I have both TV1 and TV2 connected to my Slingbox Pro.  For TV1 (Component Video) the manufacturer I used is "DISH Network" and for the model I selected "ExpressVu (Code 4)". For TV2 (Composite Video) the manufacturer I used is "DISH Network" and for the model I selected "ExpressVu (Code 1)".

The check your setup, you need to check the onscreen menu to see which remote address is being used by TV1 and TV2.  On your physical remote, press the Menu button, select System Setup (6), Installation (1), System Info (3).  This screen reveals the address used by TV1 and TV2 respectively.  On the screen that pops up it will display the remote addresses for "IR" and "UHF Pro" at the bottom of the screen.  These can be changed by you in the setup of your BellTV box.  For my setup I set the IR (TV1) Rem Addr to "4" and set the TV2 (UHF Pro) Rem Addr to "1".

The TV1 (IR) is likely the input connection you have made to your Slingbox, so note that Remote Address as it corresponds to the ExpressVu remote you need.  I seem to recall that Sling had the remotes for codes 1, 2, 3 & 4 so if your physical TV1 IR remote is set to something other than those you need to change it.  See your Bell PVR manual for instructions on changing that.  You can only do that with the physicall remote in hand.

Note also that if you connect TV2 to your Slingbox you won't be able to control it directly with your SlingBox as is.  This is because TV2 is only controlled by UHF.  There is a "Dish UHF to IR converter" box that will allow you to get past this and control TV2 with a Slingbox though.  Search these forums as you will find an earlier post on this from me.  Not sold by Bell - you can order it from SatelliteGuys in the states.

Message was edited by: SRALPH

colonelpanik

That's the one.  But this one has a silver case.

colonelpanik

Badabing Badaboom!!!!   You nailed it.  Thanks alot man, works great.  Thanks everyone for the help. 

pshore26

I think I have the same trouble, but I don't yet understand what the solution is... the remote shown for my Bell ExpressVu 9200 doesn't enable access to recorded content... do I need to switch to one of the Dish PRV models that will better emulate the features of the 9200?

Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, or use the Custom Remote I built at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8409

That won't give you a pretty remote image but it should work

SRALPH Newbie

Understand first that because the 9200 has dual receivers in a single case, and because receiver 1 is controlled by IR and receiver 2 controlled by UHF, here are multiple "code" versions of the remote for the same unit.  This is because the UHF remote has greater range and it is possible that you and a neighbour might use the same UHF remote code and have a UHF remote conflict.  So DISH (the manufacturer of the PVR) allows both receiver 1 and receiver 2 remote address codes to be changed by you using your remote.  Receiver 1 & 2 cannot use the same remote address number.  As a result of this feature of the PVR, you will see multiple copies of the virtual remote on the Slingbox site marked as Code 1, Code 2, etc.. I think that receiver 1 is usually set to code 1 by default but you have to check this as the installers sometimes change it up.

So - first confirm you have connected receiver 1 to the Slingbox and that the IR blasters are plugged in and aligned with the IR eyes, front and center.  Next, use your PVR remote and press menu, 6,1,3 and confirm which "rem addr" is assigned on section i) of that screen.  If it says "rem addr" 2 for IR, then you need to use the Bell Expressvu 9200 remote - code 2 When configuring your Slingbox.  Alternatively, you can also use the equivalent Dish PVR model remote as it uses the same remote layout, code sets and command codes.

If you have connected receiver 2 and are trying to control it via Slingbox, you can't without a hardware adaptor from Dish that will allow IR commands from the Slingbox or another IR remote to control receiver 2. That's the setup I have and in Slingplayer I simply switch inputs between receiver 1 & receiver 2 and can fully control both.

Hope that helps