4 Replies Latest reply: May 7, 2010 6:11 AM by jlsexton RSS

No Remote Control for Finepass SV-5800 VCS

jlsexton

Does anyone have a solution for this Satellite Box?

I  can't find it specifically addressed on any forums, including other remote control forums. I have been on the phone with Slingbox and no help there after trying all the generic (other) manufacturer settings they have access to.

Tonight I tried the SB betaremote site - it wasn't able to register any of the key presses using the actual remote pointed at the slingbox solo.

I can view the video, hear the sound - everything seems to work - just no ability to control the sat box from the remote computer.

If I change the slingbox solo to my cable box (which is a listed option in setup) everything works as expected - full control of the box over the network using the onscreen remote.

My Logitech remote can control the Finepass Sat box with settings they provide for the SV-5800 VCS device.

The SAT box and service are provided by TAN TV - but no help from them on remote settings or codes.

Thanks in advance for  suggestions and help.

• Re: No Remote Control for Finepass SV-5800 VCS
          alanrichey42 Master

Hi

Like you I installed this device on my Harmony but noticed it came up with Handan as the manufacturer.  And looking at the codes it seems to be the same box as used by the Canal Sateliite provider, also built by Handan.

So try this Custom Remote http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6528 and please let me know how you get on.

Al

jlsexton

Al

Thank you very much - the file works great. Haven't checked out every feature but Power on/off and Channel up/down work perfectly - I'll check the rest when the wife is not watching over the next couple of days and confirm the other settings.

It was also an adventure trying to make sense of all this. I'll share my story so others might have an easier task.

First of all. Before purchasing the Sling Box Solo, I tried to confirm the ability to control the Finepass Sat Box. Telephone calls to Sling had me hopeful the Generic settings (Other) would do the trick.

After setting up the hardware and following the instructions, I was dismayed to find no "Other" as an option in the set up. I was using the browser based software and not the "fat client" Slingplayer software. At this time I didn't know there were different players - one browser based and others for PC/MAC that had to be downloaded.

I called Sling support and they were able to try the "Other" options by taking control of my slingbox with no luck and for some reason never mentioned the downloadable client when I told them my software didn't have "Other" as an option. After reading the forums again and the help file included in your files, the light bulb came on and I found the download and installed the client. Now I had the option "Other" available - it is not available if you just use the browser player to do your set up. Also the file structure required to place your files in the proper directory so "Custom" works is not created until you install the Slingplayer client.

I installed the client on my work laptop running 32 bit XP. All our other computers run 64-bit Win7. The client software says it works for 32 bit XP and 32/64 bit Vista -- no mention of Win 7, I assume it will work under Win 7 but did not attempt this to eliminate another possible reason for failure.

I tried all of the "Other" settings (almost 70 of them) plus the custom file you provided and was not successful at first. I knew the hardware was working properly but did the digital camera trick to make sure the delay wasn't extra long (consistently @7 sec). For those not understanding this reference - you observe the IR Blaster light by looking at it on the lcd of your digital camera (i used my phone camera) - you can see the light emitter fire on the lcd but not with the naked eye. This confirms the slingbox is passing commands to whatever the IR Blasters are pointed at.

The other day I had moved the slingbox to my cable box and everything had worked like a champ with the settings for my cable box so i was pretty sure the hardware was fine.

Out of desperation I tried taping over the green circular light that surrounds the IR window on the Sat box - thinking this might cause the IR blaster to be interfered with - (i know - i said desperate --) while doing this I was using the power on/off command for the C2010 custom config and holding the IR Blaster  at different angles and distances - I removed the tape and continued to play with it and THE BOX POWERED DOWN. IR Blaster placement it seems was crtical -  I will try to determine how sensitive it is - right now the blasters extend about one inch from the edge of the box in front of the IR eye with one blaster above and one below. Wife is watching now so the fine tuning will wait.

One last data point - I next went over to another computer (Win 7  64-bit) that still didn't have the Slingplayer client installed to see if the browser would still receive the AV stream and it worked perfectly to include the remote control functions.

Hope this makes sense -- Thanks again for your kind help.

Jack

alanrichey42 Master

Yes, all makes sense.  It is only recently that Sling have been pushing the web-based client and apparently pushing the standalone player 'under the carpet', although Slingplayer is superior in quite a few areas.   I have no idea why they are doing that, maybe just to save money by not having to further develop the software.

Your IR placement experince is interesting.  As you know from my README file I make it clear you should try this.  Maybe I should add that it can be extrememly sensitive where they are placed and you have to persevere.

jlsexton

Al

Your instructions are well written - it just took me a bit to realize the software running in the browser was not the Slingplayer software referred to in the readme file.

And it was your last question

5.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?

that I was answering when it started working.

Again thanks

Jack