6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2012 3:33 AM by angelam16 RSS

Set up port forwarding to 5001, but IP changes from .7 to .254 ending

angelam16

I have my Slingbox set up for viewing on my home network. When I try to do remote viewing it cannot be automatically configured so I do remote configuring. That doesn't work either. I complete the guide, videos, tutorials, forum answers, everything. I have been on pages from my router Support as well.

One thing I found is on "My Slingbox Info" on Slingbox.com, it shows my private ip ending in .7 and my router shows the Slingbox as a "connected device" ending in .7, but the Slingbox guide says to port forward to ip ending in .254. So when I port forward to IP ending in .254, my Slingbox info and connected devices show up as .7, but when I port forward to .7 they show up as .254 and either way Internet viewing CANNOT be established. Why is it flip flopping?

Please help?!

By the way, my router is Netgear WNDR3300

• Re: Set up port forwarding to 5001, but IP changes from .7 to .254 ending
          colonelpanik

Just bought the solo today and I noticed that it does the same thing.  Seems like it grabs a DHCP address from my router (.102) then switches to a static (.254) address.  Rather annoying.

I just set my router to automatically assign .254 to the MAC address of the sling.  So it may still swithc DCHP to static but it will always be .254.

That has to be a bug.  I will let you know if this workaround solves anything.

colonelpanik

Its been one day now and I have been fooling around with this sling extensively.  I can say forcing DHCP to assign .254 to the sling seems to have worked for me.

Would still like to know if this is a bug.  Why would it set itself to .254 randomly when assigned a different IP address and then go back to the properly assigned IP and back and forth.  Anyway I am satisfied that this has worked.  Absolutely sweet little box.  I am quite impressed.

angelam16

Do you mind stepping through how you did that?

Thanks!

colonelpanik

You will need to login to your router.  Depending on the make and model of your router this may differ a little.  Go to the DHCP section of your router.  There are probably a range of addresses that are assigned when devices connect to your network.  Probably something like 192.168.0.100 to .200.  (or whatever your router DHCP was set to provide).

In that section there should be the option to always assign the same address to a specific MAC.  You should see the MAC of  your slingbox in the DHCP table.  Just tell your router to always assign a specific IP address to that MAC.  A MAC address looks something like this 22-07-00-00-30-CA

When you enter that MAC tell is to always give it a .254 address.

Some of the old routers don't have this functionality but any G or N router should I think.

angelam16

Thank you so much for the help!

Okay, my router is an N router. One of my choices under 'Advanced' is 'LAN Setup' which is the only place I could find to do anything to DHCP. In that tab there is a checked box that says "Use Router as DHCP Server" with a starting IP ending in .2 and an ending IP ending in .254. Below that it says "Address Reservation" with an empty chart. I clicked on 'Add' and chose my Slingbox ending in .254 (was one of three devices shown connected to my router in my home) and it just filled everything in for me and then I selected 'Apply' and it seemed to update the router.

So now it doesn't flip flop anymore. I have it port forwarded to 5001 and the IP ending in .254, my Slingbox account shows my info as .254 on their site, I have the address reservation as .254. It seems like there is nothing more to do. Every time I try to turn Internet Viewing on, it restarts my box and says it cannot be found for Internet viewing (only local network). I have no idea what else to try...

I appreciate the feedback and help!