7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2012 12:41 PM by pantooset RSS

Picture Freeze-up Over TimeWarner Network

pantooset

My slingplayer freezes after 3 - 10 minutes when I connect remotely over the TimeWarner cable network.  If I use another network, even a slower DSL connection by Verizon, I experience no difficulties.  It can't be equipment related, since if I use a laptop at the TimeWarner location it will freeze, but the same computer will connect perfectly elsewhere.

I'm sure there are thousands of slingboxes connected over TimeWarner's network that work fine.  But over my connection, the slingplayer seems to be very finicky, and these problems started months ago.  Sling tech support doesn't understand anything about the problem.  They just ask me to re-do all the usual things: driver updates, firmware, modem check, replace equipment, etc.  I've given up on them.

I've tried pinging the slingbox and changing MTU setting.  Nothing works.  If anyone has suggestions on how to resolve this, I'd appreciate it.

• Re: Picture Freeze-up Over TimeWarner Network
          Joey680

I have the exact same problem and I can't figure it out...

pantooset

Seven months after my original post, I stumbled on a solution to the problem.  I installed a VPN. It tunnels through the Time-Warenr connection and I get fine reception with no picture freeze.

Sling boxes don't work the same over all networks. Even with a very fast cable connection, it ran into trouble.  I spent hours with tech support without any useful suggestions.  It's been the most frustrating thing in the world.

i recommend trying a vpn when all else fails.  Try downloading a free one or a trial and see if it doesn't offer a solution.

pantooset

If picture freeze at receiving locations cannot be resolved, try using a VPN connection.

changyunglun

I have the exact problem since two months ago over timewarner net work, when I am outside my house, the slingbox works fine with verizon or ATT. I wonder if Time warner blocks the streaming. Anyway, will try switching port or the vpn later and let you know what I get. In the mean time, if anyone has a answer to that, pls post.

andycowles75

I have been streaming a Slingbox Pro HD from Seattle to Amsterdam on a regular basis for 11 months now. I have had many problems with the picture and sound freezing. It would freeze for about 8-10 seconds, every 10 minuets (or every 10 seconds some days), then start streaming again. It would stream at about 1500 kbps and work fine, then crash down to 0 and freeze. I have tried to resolve this with Sling support, the Seattle end, and Amsterdam, but nothing has worked. Until now. I started using Firefox (only for the Slingbox) instead of Internet Explorer about a week ago, and have not had one freeze up since. It now runs consistently at about 2800 kbps. I don’t know why this worked, and frankly I don’t care. All I know is that my Slingbox has been working flawlessly streaming from Seattle to Amsterdam for a week now, with no issues. I hope this helps somebody, because I know how happy it made me when I realized it was fixed.