3 Replies Latest reply: May 12, 2012 7:51 PM by mrtoner RSS

How to Install Plugin?

mrtoner

Threre's another long topic on this issue, but -- given that there's been no activity there for 4 months and most of the issues are for earlier systems, browsers, and plug-ins -- I thought starting a new discussion would be more helpful.

I'm running Lion, OS X 10.7.2, with Safari 5.1.2. I need to manage my Slingbox Solo, which I set up about a year ago using a Snow Leopard system. (That was a difficult task at the time.) The SlingPlayer plug-in has never been on this system, so when I logged in to Slingbox.com and attempted to set up my Slingbox I was asked to install the plug-in. Other than being asked to quit Safari the installer asked for nothing else. I've confirmed that version 3.3.12.232 of the plug-in is installed (that's what Safari tells me), yet Slingbox.com will not allow me to manage or view content on the Slingbox. I'm asked to install the plug-in again or -- when I attempt to watch -- the web page constantly reloads.

Any suggestions to get this to work? BTW, SlingPlayer for Mac works just fine.

• Re: How to Install Plugin?
          mrtoner

My fault! After following some of the other suggestions involving moving the plugin to ~/Libray/Internet Plugins (instead of /Library/Internet Plugins) and trying another user account (which worked), I remembered that I had the Click To Plugin extension installed. Unlike with other plugins, the extension did not display anything to indicate that it was blocking the plugin. Once I whitelisted slingbox.com I was able to use the setup and watch features.

docbnj

Yes ... and what did you just say?  What is “whitewashing” a plug-in?  What is the difference between the two addresses you gave?  What doe the ~ mean in the address?

mrtoner

"Whitelisting" means giving the plugin permission to run. The ClickToPlugin extension keeps plugins like WebSlingPlayer from working unless they're specifically whitelisted. If you have ClickToPlugin installed, make sure you whitelist "slingbox.com" or allow WebSlingPlayer to always load.

The "~" in the path means "your home folder", so the difference between the two addresses is that one Libray folder is in your home folder and the other (without the tilde) is found at the top level of your boot drive.

Message was edited to give additional options for whitelisting by: mrtoner