2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2012 12:14 PM by TMESling RSS

Seeking help from someone familiar with Sling AV at packet level.

TMESling

I have a Slingbox AV which has stopped working.  Current symptoms are:

When opening Slingbox Directory, it immediately shows as LAN (Available), yet trying to Watch or Edit/Information results in failed connection.

I can PING it fine, as well as establish a Telnet connection, so it doesn't appear to be a connectivity or DHCP issue.

There is no router between the PC and Slingbox - only a known good swtich (tested several ports).

Setup Wizard connection fails (0x8007274C)

I tried a hardware reset, and the LED pattern is as expected/normal.

Tried re-installing versions 1.4, 1.5, and 2 of SlingPlayer (all of which used to connect OK).

An older Slingbox (classic) works fine on the same LAN/PC.

Here's what I don't understand.  I used wireshark to packet sniff and what I see is:

Normal PING traffic/exchange - so it wouldn't appear to be a LAN or power supply issue.

Normal ARP exchange.

However, the moment SlingPlayer is launched, the Slingbox starts UDP port scanning to the host with SlingPlayer.  It starts around 1088 up thru 5000, then starts over and will do this forever.  I've noted that my working Slingbox (classic) doesn't do this.

It would appear to be a H/W failure, considering it went from working to non-working with no intervention, however it boots and the network comms seem to function, so I don't understand where it's getting hung up, or why it's port scanning.

Can anyone help?

• Re: Seeking help from someone familiar with Sling AV at packet level.
          Apprentice

Hi TMESling,

I understand that you are having some issues with your Slingbox AV since it stopped working all of a sudden.

Even though you have already applied some troubleshooting steps we recommend you to apply a hard-reset to your Slingbox. If you do not know how to, just check this link:

How to reset your Slingbox to factory settings

Then, use the Slingbox Classic Power Adapter. Since these units use the same Power Adapter, this will be a good troubleshooting step to apply. If it works, you'll need to get a new Power Adapter for the Slingbox Classic:

Replacement Parts

If your Slingbox Classic does not respond, it means that your Slingbox is likely "dead".

If this is the case, we recommend you to get either the Slingbox SOLO or the Slingbox PRO-HD:

Slingbox

Hope this helps.

Regards

• Re: Seeking help from someone familiar with Sling AV at packet level.
              TMESling

Ranaleon,

Thanks for taking a stab at my problem, but I'm still trying to understand if port scanning is a normal function of the SlingboxAV.  I had already tried your suggestions of hard-reset, power supply swap, etc.  The box doesn't appear to be "dead", as it responds to network activity - it just isn't reponding in a way consistent with other Slingboxes.   I'm wondering if it's stuck in some type of debug/test mode and assume that at least someone out there can use a packet sniffer to see if there box does the same thing.