6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 3, 2012 8:38 AM by Winnike RSS

5.1 audio?

UKenGB Newbie

I've seen some questions about this, but no answers. Perhaps someone can help here.

Can the Pro HD encode multi channel audio (e.g. Dolby Digital 5.1) and have it play at the receiving end? Or does it only actually send 2.0 stereo?

Since there is an S/PDIF connector that can carry 5.1 to the SlingBox, one could easily assume that this would be transmitted along with the video, but I'm not convinced that is true.

Can anyone confirm definitively whether or not the SlingBox Pro HD can actually encode and send 5.1 audio and if so what is required at the receiving end to be able to listen to that 5.1 audio?

• Re: 5.1 audio?
          Apprentice

Hi UKenGB,

I uderstand that you want to know if the Slingbox will work with the 5.1 audio signal.

I encourage you to check the following link and check the provide information:

Can I stream surround sound audio?

Let us know how it works for you.

Regards

UKenGB Newbie

OK thanks, that does answer the question, even though it's not the answer I wanted to hear as I really want to be able to stream 5.1 over the network:-(

However that does raise another question. Someone else on this forum found that even when 5.1 was supplied to the SlingBox, the S/PDIF output was only stereo. I haven't tried this yet and hope the problem was limited to a single faulty unit.

We'll see. If it doesn't work, I'll be back here.

Winnike

This string caught my attention as I was wondering about these things. I have followed up on my set up and have found that 5.1 into the S/PDIF input comes out of the output as 5.1, no problem. However, the digital sound stream does not come through on a computer or Boxee connection to my Slingbox. Only the analog signal seems to process through to my computer or Boxee (and comes out as PCM 2.0). In other words, if I only have my S/PDIF input connected to my Slingbox, I get no sound on my computer or Boxee. I only get sound when I connect the analog inputs. My Slingbox doesn't appear to process the S/PDIF to stereo streaming as the previous link says. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't see the point of the S/PDIF input.

ACC740860

Hello,

That is interesting because that is exactly what I am getting now too.  I have been watching and listening to stereo for a couple of weeks now via Sling to computer, and just today got a Toslink to Coax adapter from Radio Shack to try to get 5.1 into the stream.  I have it all connected, the adapter converts and the Sling passes 5.1 through to my local receiver just fine.  But without the stereo cables on the Sling, I get NO audio on my stream.  I thought maybe I did something wrong so I started checking and saw this post.  It's precisely the behavior I am getting.

So, how then does one get the Slingbox to process the S/PDIF input and pass it to the stream?  Is it possible or are we stuck with 2 channel stereo?

ACC740860

I contacted SB support and they solved the problem remotely by reconnecting the audio input to S/PDIF.  Apparently, the SB may remember the last configured input (which are stereo).  Reseting the box can get it to forget that config and let it pick up the new S/PDIF coax input.  Cristina at SB support actually saved me the effort and did this remotely for me.  Impressive. 

Winnike

That's interesting. I tried a manual reset and it still doesn't use the S/PDIF input source. I'll call SB support. Thanks.

Update: I contacted SB support. Rafael at tech support reconfigured my S/PDIF connection remotely. It now uses the S/PDIF audo signal for my computer connection. This reconfiguration cannot be done by the end user. He said that so few users use the S/PDIF configuration and reconfiguring can only be done remotely by tech support (at least for now). He also confirmed that a manual reset of the Slingbox doesn't fix this problem. However, I didn't ask if a manual reset now will change my setting back to the analog source now that I have it set to S/PDIF. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I ever have to reset my Slingbox.