5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2012 1:23 PM by cornishrex RSS

Do I need a Boxee Box if I have an internet ready TV

rwiii

I have a Sony TV connected to the internet and can access Netflix, etc.  Do I need a Boxee Box to use Slingbox?  Thanks for the help

• Re: Do I need a Boxee Box if I have an internet ready TV
          callanish Apprentice

If your Sony TV doesn't have Google TV, then yes, you'll need something like the boxee box to watch your slingbox through your Sony TV.

denizkose

Hi I am new to Sling Box..I have a client who has a sling box account and system in England...he recently purchased the Sharp 80'' Aquos smart TV....What is required in order to view Sling Box on the Sharp TV.  Looking forward to your answer

callanish Apprentice

First of all there are no options, at this point, that will allow your client to directly use his Sharp Smart TV with his slingbox. You'll need to connect another piece of hardware first to it, in order to allow him to watch his slingbox stream.

In order to watch a slingbox from a remote location on a tv, you've got four options. One of those options, the slingcatcher, is no longer being sold by Slingmedia, unless you buy one from E-Bay, etc, but in my experience it has been the most stable and provides the best experience when connecting to a slingbox. I've tried all the three other platforms available for connected devices ( GoogleTV, WDTV Live, and Boxee ) and none of them are bug free, so it all depends on how tech savvy your client is, as unfortunately with all connected devices, outside of the slingcatcher, its not been a setup and forget situation without coming across various bug issues ( freezing, dropped connection issues, inconsistent quality of video stream, etc ).

With an 80 inch Sharp TV, you'll need a very good upload speed at the slingbox location in order to get a half way decent picture if you are streaming remotely. I'd also suggest the Slingbox HD-PRO to maximize picture quality and then there's distance and a realistic expectation of picture quality. A remote connection on a Slingbox that uses TCP as its streaming protocol is vulnerable to latency. That latency can become worse the farther he is away from his Slingbox and that will affect stream speed, thus affecting picture quality, so you also have to take that into account, especially when watching it on an 80 inch TV set. You could choose not to port forward the router at the slingbox location, run what's called a SNATT stream type and, in my experience, speed up the remote streaming speed, but then the slingcatcher becomes useless, as it requires a TCP stream type to run, whereas the other connected devices don't and can use SNATT / RELAY.

I can honestly say that right now, for what you are trying to do, slingbox owners are a bit in limbo. The slingcatcher is old technology, and is no longer supported, but with the hardware remote and the connection consistency, it's still the best way to stream to a TV. The connected devices will require quality bug fixing time on Sling's part to make them as stable as the slingcatcher, but they have potential as they could provide a better quality picture if they can just fix out the problems.

There's secondary ways to allow a slingbox stream connected to a TV. Something like an ipad using airplay or ipad connected with an HDMI adapter could do the job to send the stream to his Sharp TV, but in my experience, there are a few sacrifices with that as well. The sling app on my Ipad, when streaming remotely from a long distance, doesn't allow anything other than SQ quality and the video also doesn't fill the full TV screen without having black areas which can become annoying. The other option is P.C or MAC using HDMI directly into the TV. That's a very good option as it provides a good picture, with a stable connection and will fill the screen fully if setup right. Downside is if you want the convenience of a remote, you'll need to set it up with windows media center for a P.C ( don't know enough about a MAC to do the same thing ) which requires a bit of tech knowledge and that can get complicated if you don't know what you are doing. In time, a lot more connected devices will become available ( SMART TV's, ROKU, XBOX 360 ????? ), but we're not there yet as something has to be done to fix the problems with the connected devices that are currently available.

So, using any of the connected devices will allow him to stream from his slingbox to his TV, but expect quirks at this point. If he's not really tech savvy, one of the discontinued slingcatchers would be the safest way to go and provide the easiest user experience ( hardware remote), as long as he has port forwarding setup correctly on his router at the slingbox location.

tcaradonna Novice

I'm disappointed that the other boxes are working as well as the slingcatcher.  What seems to be the problem with them?  I have a slingcatcher, and have been looking for a chance to do some head to head comparisons, but haven't had the opportunity.

Another solution I've heard of is a hacked AppleTV 1st generation, which can be made to talk to the slingbox.  There are instructions for "how-to" on the web, but it still definitely requires some technical know-how.  One of the great hopes is that Apple will open its AppleTV line to developers to create apps.  When that day happens, you can be assured 2 things: sling will make an app for it & it will be expensive.  I feel that day is coming though, and I would probably buy that app.

cornishrex

I'm getting confused. What is the difference between this slingcatcher and the "sling receiver 300", which I understand received FCC approval in US in early 2011. Did the receiver do something different? I see no mention of it in the UK or being sold commercially .... anywhere.

I just want to be able to stream DVR/pvr recordings from my main tv in the lounge through to 2nd tv in the kitchen. Don't care how I do it - but I was investigating the possibility of an Echostar sling loaded freesat pvr in lounge and connecting something like the sling receiver (or catcher?) to my "smart internet" samsung tv in the kitchen.

Honestly, today, this really shouldn't be so flipping difficult to achieve. I've had Sonos whole house music for about a decade. Why not whole house DVR recordings......