21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2012 10:43 AM by tomanecs RSS

changed routers and now cannot view over internet

cphdn

argh, somehow changing routers to a netgear wndr3300 from my previous linksys is somehow not working for internet viewing.  the setup utility (which is obviously different from when i first set up my slingbox) can't login to my router even though i gave it the admin user name and password.  meanwhile at home viewing works fine.  does anyone have an idea as to how to resolve this seemingly simple problem?  Thanks much in advance.

• Re: changed routers and now cannot view over internet
          BrandonC Novice

If home viewing works fine then you need to re-run the Internet setup wizard and use the manual setup.

You should do this on Watch.Slingbox.com and not in a Stand Alone player program. They work very differently.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

cphdn

thanks have tried that but for some reason hangs at the login to router phase every time.  

eferz Expert

Actually, the Setup Wizard for the Slingplayer doesn't actually try to login into your router.

There's so many different routers that it can't possibly keep track on how to login (Telnet, SSH, or HHTP) or know all the different prompts and queues required to setup port fowarding on your specific router.

The screen below is actually trying to setup your router via uPnP

Sling1jpg.jpg

If the above screen times out then the next screen is a little misleading.

Your only choice is to checkmark the box to allow the next button to be pressed.

https://community.sling.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/1306/450-405/Screen+Snaper+Image.bmp

The next screen will give you form which you can use to find your router manufacturer and model.  If you can find it then you'll be brought through a webpage that will hopefully have an updated instructions on how to setup port forwarding on your router.

pcornick

Hi, I don't have an answer for you but have the same problem with a BT HomeHub2 and a Slingbox Classic. All worked well until I changed to the HomeHub2. Now slingbox viewing is fine on my home network but I cannot set up internet viewing. The slinbox setup asks me for a username and password to access the Homehub2 but repeatedly tells me the ones i enter are wrong even though they are correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Apprentice

Hello cphdn,

Take a look at  this links. You will find the most common reasons for this behavior.

Help setting up  Internet Viewing when you have multiple routers

Internet Viewing  has stopped working and I am currently at home

Kind  Regards,
                  The Slingbox Answers Forum Moderation Team

technomensch

D-Link Router: DIR-655

Slingbox AV

Slingbox Software Version: 1.2.12

Windows 7

I too changed routers recently, to the D-Link DIR-655, and have been having issues connecting to my Slingbox ever since.

The Slingbox was originally given the IP address of 192.168.1.237 on Port 5001.

I went to set up Port forwarding on my router as discribed here:

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DIR-655/SlingBox.htm

However, when that failed, I quickly realized/discovered that the DHCP range on the router goes from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.199, thus preventing me from Port Forwarding to that IP.

After reading this forum post (https://community.sling.com/message/5320#5320), I performed a hard reset on the Slingbox as per the instructions stated here:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000038.html

My hope was that the DHCP would reassign the IP address appropriately, but the router was still not finding the SlingBox.

So, using the instructions here, I decided to manually assign the SlingBox an IP address based on its MAC address within the Router Software:

http://www.filteringcraig.com/2008/01/08/configuring-slingbox-is-not-for-the-faint-of-heart/

And port forwarded 5001-6000 to the new IP, rebooted router and slingbox, but the Setup tool is still not finding it.

I downloaded the Windows desktop software to try to manually update the IP, but it would not let me, instead giving me the error discussed here:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005115.html

Do I need to completely remove this SlingBox from my Sling Account and start over?  If so, how?

If not, any suggestions as to what steps I might be missing?

eferz Expert

First thing you should do is start in the beginning.  Delete the port forwarding rules in your router for your Slingbox.  You  do not need to port forward a range of ports.  Just one.  Only port foward UDP and TCP 5001, but you should do that after you've completed local viewing configuration of the Slingbox.

When you perform a factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html), it clears out all of the configuration information.  Which leaves the Slingbox in a state where it requires a DHCP address.  The network LED will be solid when it gets an IP address, blinking while requesting, and off if it had timed out.  So, the first thing we need to do is find out why you aren't able to get a DHCP address assigned to it.

First thing I would try is to connect the Slingbox into a different port of the router, just in case one of the ports went bad.  If that doesn't resolve it, then look for updates to your router's firmware.  There might be DHCP assignment issues which have already resolved by the most current firmware.

If you're using a third-party linux firmware for your router like DD-WRT or Tomato, you might want to consider reverting to the original manufacturer's to test compatibility.  If there was an incompatibility, just make sure to setup the Slingbox with a static IP address which is appropriate to your network.  Just make sure that the IP address falls outside the range of the DHCP assigned addresses.  Otherwise, its possible that the DHCP server might create a conflict by assigning the IP address to another host.

I'm confident that once you get network connectivity for the Slingbox, you'll be able to configure it with Setup Assistant.  Once you're done, make sure the port fowarding rules are properly created and is port fowarding both the UDP and TCP services ports of the Slingbox to its private IP address.

technomensch

"First thing I would try is to connect the Slingbox into a different port  of the router, just in case one of the ports went bad."

Already tried that last night.  All ports are working.  Brand new router.  Probably should've mentioned that.

Both power and networking lights are on.  The only one not on is the one within the Sling log saying that it's talking to the sling server.

If that doesn't resolve it, then look for updates to your router's  firmware.  There might be DHCP assignment issues which have already  resolved by the most current firmware.

Silly question- how would upgrade firmware on a device that I cannot even connect to?

Perhaps my biggest problem is that when I log into my Sling account via website, it still shows the Box with the old IP.

eferz Expert

technomensch wrote:

Silly question- how would upgrade firmware on a device that I cannot even connect to?

Please, note.  I said update the firmware on the router not the Slingbox.  You can't do anything with the Slingbox unless it has a valid IP address on the network.

Perhaps my biggest problem is that when I log into my Sling account via website, it still shows the Box with the old IP.

The information in the Sling Account is govern by the last information that the Sling Management Servers received while your Slingbox was participating on your network. This is how the Sling's proprietary version of DDNS allows you to connect to your Slingbox without knowing the current public IP address of your router.

So, your biggest problem remains that your new router isn't able to assign an IP address to the Slingbox.

eferz Expert

technomensch wrote:

Both power and networking lights are on. 

My apologies, I might have missed this part.

Check your router's active DHCP licenses to see which IP address is assigned to your Slingbox.

eferz Expert
                                        So, using the instructions here, I decided to manually assign the  SlingBox an IP address based on its MAC address within the Router  Software:

LoL, I missed this part too!  OMG.  Maybe I should stop trying to help people without coffee.

I'm completely confused at this point.  Can you at least ping the IP address that you created the DHCP reservation for the Slingbox.

technomensch

"Can you at least ping the IP address that you created the DHCP reservation for the Slingbox?"

No.

Logged into the router, went to the Ping utility, pinged the IP I assigned it:

No response from host, retrying..

I have this bad feeling that I need to reinsert my old router into the mix (thankfully still working) and see if I can manually force an IP change through it's DHCP server?  Other than that, short of contacting sling support, I got nothing.

eferz Expert

Okay, so the Slingbox has an IP address since the network LED is lit.  You can't connect ping it from either the router or the computer.  So, it very well might be possible that it still has the old IP address.  Can you please retry the factory reset as described in this article (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-005036.html).  If done properly, the factory reset will wipe out all of the configuration information on the Slingbox thereby freeing it up to accept a new DHCP assigned address.

technomensch

I am pretty sure I already mentioned that I already tried doing a hard reset.  In fact, I attempted it about 2-3 times.

technomensch

[UPDATE]

On the D-Link router, change the default IP to the old Linksys standby 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.0.1.

I then changed the DHCP range to 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.254 and rebooted.

Now the Slingbox was showing up in the IP Routing Table.

I opened the SlingPlayer locally on my laptop and it played without issue.

I then set up the Port Forwarding for 5001 to go to the SlingBox IP.

Finally, I then reran the startup assistant wizard, selecting "Set up Internet Watching", letting Sling do its thing.

I then tested the connection by opening the Sling Player on my Blackberry where it successfully connected.

I hope this helps anyone else that has issues where you cannot reset the IP on the SlingBox itself.

tomanecs

I had the same / similar problem with my slingbox HD pro and my new netgear router.  New router shows it connected to the port I plugged it into, and the network light came on on the slingbox. But the sling box was not listed as a connected device in my router.  After sling support told me I had to pay for support I hunkered down and started hacking away trying different things.  Several support blogs and frorum posts indicated that slingbox clings to it's old IP address.  Factory reset button did not help.  The slingbox would not dynamically pick up a new address from the router.  I tried reserving/assigning an IP address to the mac address of my sling box from the settings in my router.  I then hit the factory reset button and bam I was then connected and visible on my network.  I then ran the standard setup for the slilngbox and every thing worked fine.