1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 11, 2012 11:42 PM by chakkarinen RSS

How Stringent are Mac OS System Requirements?

MarshaJonathan

Looking at the system requirements for viewing HD content on my Mac I see a 2.8 ghz processor among the specs. Considering that no Apple laptop meets that specification, I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing in my interpretation of the requirements..

If I try to view HD content on my Macbook Pro equipped with "2.2GHz or 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 6MB shared L3  cache; or optional 2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor with 8MB  shared L3 cache" .. what will happen? Does having more ram than the 2gig min compensate for this shortcoming, or is streaming HD content to a top-of-the-line Apple laptop simply not possible?

I see PC specs only require 2.4 ghz clock speed, if I install Windows on my Mac, will this allow me to view HD content?

Thanks!

• Re: How Stringent are Mac OS System Requirements?
          chakkarinen Apprentice

I watch my Sling streams on many different varieties of PCs (don't currently own a Mac beyond one very old one with OS9).   I think all of my PCs have slower clock speeds that you reference.   I can still view the streams, although the oldest and slowest ones get optimized by the viewing software for a somewhat lower video resolution. The images are still acceptable to me, but then, I only attempt to watch any programs in HD (which probably require 10 times as much data transmission as standard definition) on my newest computers with processor speeds at or slightly above 2 GHz.