12 Replies Latest reply: Oct 26, 2011 11:58 AM by ranaleon RSS

Slingbox Pro HD Power Adapter

mozzilla

Hi,

There is a discrepancy between what's stated in the manual vs on the label of the power adapter. In the manual, it states that the power adapter supports 100-240V AC. However on the label of the power adapter, it states 100-120V. Both information having the same model number KSAFF0500400W1US for the power adapter. Which one is having the correct information? I cannot afford to have a blown power adapter after connecting the slingbox to a 240V AC main. Thanks.

• Re: Slingbox Pro HD Power Adapter
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Mozzilla,

Good catch !  Easy to overlook and very wise not to plug a single voltage US-spec 110 VAC adapter into a 220 VAC mains outlet.

I would definitely heed with what is written on the PS label and not use that adapter.

This info might prove useful:

According to this SlingMedia shop page...

http://www.slingbox.com/go/buy-replacement-parts

...the Pro HD and SOLO both use the same adapter.

The Pro HD's User Guide (pg. 14) lists these specs:

Picture 1.png

The SOLO User Guide (pg. 10) gives some additional information about the power supply:

Picture 2.png

Note the polarity is listed in the SOLO's guide.  That's critical.

With this information, you can decide whether you want to order a new one from SlingMedia (or try to request a proper replacement), or buy your own from a store of your choosing.  Either way, I would assume that your current power supply is not dual voltage and only use it as labeled with US-spec power.

Hope this helps,

- Az

UKenGB Newbie

I can confirm that the Pro HD and the Solo do indeed use the same adapter and that in some cases it is labelled 220 and sometimes 110, yet the part number is the same.

I obviously cannot recommend you take any specific course of action, but I can tell you that I and other users have discovered that both adapters work fine on 220/240v so it would appear to be a labelling issue rather than a technical one. Whether this is a mistake, or more likely a deliberate attempt to dissuade cross continent purchasing is open to conjecture.

As I said, it's up to you what you try as I cannot accept any responsibility for the consequences should it go wrong. All I can do is state my own experience.

Denis247 Newbie

Only an observation but I would be very surprised if a modern switched-mode power supply was made for one voltage only, it is far easier to make one 'universal' power unit. It was different in the old days of heavy 50/60hz transformer based units. But better safe than sorry, although if someone offered good odds I would bet on it being a type accepting a wide 110 - 240 v input range.

UKenGB Newbie

Interestingly, I have been using my Pro HD on a PSU labelled 240v which has now failed. I replaced it with one labelled 120v and the SB is up and running again.

Hi UKenGB,

Nice !  Glad it working.

Denis247 was right, it would be odd to see a modern single-voltage PS.  In spite of it's labeling, yours obviously handles 120 and 240.  I think I was being overly cautious in my earlier posts.

Happy trails,

- Az

luisalt

I have been using it for over a year now, the original  Ktec Model Number KSAFF0500400W1US Input Voltage Range 100VAC to 240VAC Input Frequency Range 50 Hz to 60 Hz Input Current 0.8A Max Output Voltage +5V ... 4.0A on a 110VAC here in the USA.

Problem now is that it got frost. My sling logo light is not flashing however, it's totally illuminated and solid ON. (My sling logo light is not flashing however, it's totally illuminated and solid.). Both, power and network lights still steady on.

I have tryed just about everything. Reset botton does no respond and the configuation assistant does not move forward stating that there is not a network conection. I have directly connected to the router from the slingbox and that does not work as well. Someone mention that the AC power supply that came with the Slingbox goes bad

Any suggestions?

Hi Luisalt,

Any suggestions ?

Aside from trying a new power supply, no.  If your Slingbox does not respond to a hard reset and you verify that your power supply is good, your Slingbox might have an internal hardware failure.  I hope that's not the case !

Good luck,

- Az

UKenGB Newbie

Trouble is that it's quite tricky to test the PSU. If you connect a voltmeter only, this will show about 5v when the PSU is first powered, then this drops away to virtually nothing. This is what a brand new PSU does although it works perfectly with a SB, so it must be responding to the lack of power drain and reducing its output accordingly.

The only way I know to test a PSU is to try it with a SB and if you're trying to find out whether the PSU or the SB is at fault, then you got a problem.

islesfan4lyf

Where can I buy a new adapter Model#KSAFF0500400W1US

I have been searching and have no idea which one to buy.  Can someone help me out?

Apprentice

Hi, mozzilla and all

It seems that you are having some issues with the Slingbox Power Supply. Use the link below for Sling Support contact information.

Contact Sling Media Support

Regards