6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 29, 2012 8:59 AM by Vidguy7 RSS

Verizon Galaxy Nexus Stuttering Video

Vidguy7

I've got the new Galaxy Nexus on Verizon with the new OS, ICS. I'm finding the video is not smooth regardless of whether I'm on 4G or WiFi. The video is fairly stuttery and I'm wondering if this is the way it appears on all mobile devices? It almost gives the impression of a reduced frame rate, say 20fps instead of 30fps.

Has anyone had any luck display smooth video with the Glaxy Nexus? I'm wondering if there's something additional that's needed for installation, like ActiveX?

• Re: Verizon Galaxy Nexus Stuttering Video

I've had exactly the same problem on the Galaxy Nexus, and I've been using my Slingplayer on my OG Droid just fine until now (where there was good service). I just updated the firmware on the slingbox hoping it would solve the problem, but it didn't. Any help is appreciated.

Vidguy7

Do you have the Slingbox HD? You mentioned it was bad on your Nexus but fine on your OG Droid 'until now'. So I'm assuming that it's not good any longer even on the Droid? If that's the case, do you think it was the update on the Slingbox?  My Slingbox HD is brand new and as soon as I set it up it went through a firmware update. So I have no reference point if it was better prior to the update.

Good point. Everything was fine on the OG Droid. Then I updated modem/router, and I'm pretty sure it was fine but I wasn't using it much at that point. Connection is fine for everything so I'm assuming it isn't the internet connection. Then I upgraded to the Galaxy Nexus, and noticed the problem. Then I upgraded the Slingbox (I think it's a Solo...definitly not an HD) to hopefully address the problem, and when that didn't help, I started looking around at these forums. I don't know if the OG Droid would still work, because that phone is no longer activated. After poking around it seems like it must be Ice Cream Sandwich, but it's odd that I'd be able to make the connection to the Slingbox with my phone, use the remote control, and get video playing, just with very poor results. The video stutters and freezes and is pretty much unwatchable for that reason. If that's something that can be connected to the OS version, then I guess that's what it is. Seems like we need to wait for a Slingbox-released update for Android 4.0.

* Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. *

Vidguy7

Yeah, I hope Slingbox reads these forums and realizes that they need to check the compatibility with ICS on the Galaxy Nexus. I know the phone is capable of stunning HD playback since I donwloaded the MoveFone app and it plays trailers in HD from various movies. Those trailers are stunning both in clarity and smoothness of motion. So I know it's not the phone at fault and it must be the app.

kharrigan

I agree with 20fps (guesstimated). It's almost smooth.

I have the SB Pro (red one) and use the composite input. The SB Pro has a wired ethernet connection to a FiOS network (25mbps down / 25mbps up) streaming to a Comcast network (20mbps down / 3.5mbps up) via ethernet (for Windows) and WiFi (draft N) on the Galaxy Nexus and Windows. I also have the iPhone 4S and an iPad (1st gen) so I see just about ALL clients.

I average 3mbps throughput on ethernet and 2mbps throughput on WiFi - both on measured in the Windows Slingplayer. Playback is smooth and great.

When I use WiFi on the GNex, the playback is simply not as smooth as the Windows player. It's watchable though. The app, however, leaves A LOT to be desired. The "misc" section has custom buttons that make no sense, aren't used, and aren't programmable (AFAIK). This app need to be cleaned up... like enema cleaned.

When I use the iPhone app on the iPhone 4S and iPad (I didn't buy the iPad version), it's the same quality stream as the GNex. Again, it's watchable - just like the Gnex. The app, however, is polished. Buttons are labeled well and shaped to give a hint as to what the buttons do. The polish make a BIG difference.

I hope that helps everyone.

-KLH

Vidguy7

I think it's more than just 'polish' on the app. I think the app on the Android is inherently different in terms of how it handles motion. On my Ipad the motion is buttery smooth...virtually TV-like. However on my Nexus it's far from that. The frame rate is just poor in terms of outputting smooth motion. Something is just not right.