14 Replies Latest reply: Feb 26, 2013 10:54 AM by ekbsrk RSS

Sound quality issues

spevin

I love my slingboxes. I have 2 pro had boxes and they are fantastic. I recently started using the boxee player and am having a sound issue I can't figure out nor see discussed anywhere. The picture quality is great....but my sound is a bit off. I have a weird tingy sort of sound that comes along with the sound and it is driving me nuts. Please help!

FYI - both slingboxes do it...and I have 2 boxee boxes and it happens on both as well.

I am the only one?

• Re: Sound quality issues
          ekbsrk Newbie

No you arent the only one. I have the same issue. The sound quality could definitely be cleaned up. Im using s/pdif from my cable box to the sling pro hd.

ACC161800

I am having the same problem too. There is a very annoying background noise on my new slingbox HD. The problem only seems to present over wifi connections. If I have both the slingbox and and computer cabled the noise disappears.

I do not have this problem with my slingbox classic.

spevin

both my slingboxes are ethernet straight to the router. both my boxee boxes are always. no wifi used for anything.

please slingbox fix this horrible sound issue.

ACC161800

I talked to Sling Tech today. Unfortunately they weren't able to help me. They suggested that it might be interference from some other electronic devices. That may be true but I haven't been able to isolate what that is, if it is.  Another peculiar thing about this is that it only seems to affect two input devices, my Roku and my computer, and then only when my either my slingbox or computer is connected via wifi. The latter two are connected through my DVD/VCR which by itself works fine.

I have some more tests to make. If I learn anything, I'll post it here.

kennetharpa@gmail.com

I have the same problem here with my sling box hd pro which I got about a month ago. Problem exist on all internet connections like 3G , wi-fi (ipad) and wired (computer). The background whistling sound is very annoying.

What I noticed is that the lower the sound from the input source (example set top box)  the higher the annoying sound is heard.  So setting the input source to the highest possible sound value will drastically reduced the whistling noise. If the sound of the viewing source (example laptop) is too high,  just reduce the sound on the viewing source and not from the input source.

Hope that they can solve this issue with new software upgrade.

reznacz Newbie

I have the same problem. While the sound is perfect on Sling catcher, it's very loud and distorted on Boxee. Also I noticed that the sound level changes on Boxee by itself. It just gets louder and louder.

To make this perfectly clear - sound from all other sources on Boxee is perfect. Also the sound from Sling Catcher and Sling Player in Windows is perfect. So I'm absolutely sure that the Sling Player for Boxee is the problem.

bsheppard Newbie

I got a Boxee Box a few weeks ago and noticed the sound is very tinee when using the slingplayer Ap (with HDMI pluigged into TV) - it gradually gets worse. All other players (including my Slingcatcher that I use instead for the TV until Sling sorts this out) is perfectly fine. Picture quality is fine. Must be something up with this first version of Slingplayer for Boxee. Hope it gets fixed before my catcher eventually dies!

schokkie

I have the same problem and it is a problem with the slingplayer app for sure.

I've tested 3 different slingbox pro hd connections, one of which is in the same room with 1Gbit connection between it and the boxee box. They all have the same problem. Changing the quality from within the app doesn't matter. The picture is perfect, the sound is poor.

If i watch any of there slingboxes from the ipad or on the slingbox website it is perfect!

bsheppard Newbie

I think I have found a solution: if you reduce the volume output of the slingbox in the slingbox set up (picture and audio settings) this gets rid of the strange sound distortion . It may be that the preset sound settings are too high input for the Boxee slingplayer.

reznacz Newbie

It's been more than 2 years with this issue. Boxee is now a discontinued product, so I'd say there is zero chance getting this fixed.