5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2010 6:46 PM by gordonc RSS

Slingcatcher vs PC

gordonc

I  am a satisfied user of Slingbox.  Have been running  a TV through a VGA cable from my laptop at my vacation home.  I have improved the picture by increasing upload speed.  I thought the next step would be to improve the video card in the computer, but maybe Slingcatcher is a better answer.  Anyone have any experience with Slingcatcher vs  PC link to a TV?  I  normally get good sports (football games), but the crawl on the bottom has fuzzy letters.  Any ideas on this issue?

• Re: Slingcatcher vs PC
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

HI Gordon,

I'm not sure if SlingCatcher would improve things the way you want.  It might, but I can't say for certain.  The Catcher is a tiny purpose-built computer running a special version of SlingPlayer, but the core tech is basically what you've got now.  I would imagine that it's performance would be similar to what you're used to.  The few SlingCatchers I've played with have left me with that impression.

I do the laptop + composite adapter thing with my MacBook when I visit family and friends.  Having a small dedicated appliance like the Catcher and it's spiffy remote would be really nice compared to fiddling around with patching the laptop to a TV.  Even if the picture quality stayed about the same, I would enjoy the overall experience better.  After playing with one of my friend's SlingCatcher, I'm definitely left with remote control envy when I pull out the laptop.

Have you tried experimenting with the manual streaming parameters in SlingPlayer on your laptop ?  Perhaps you can tweak the performance to better suit you.  I wrote a couple posts about that recently in this thread:

https://community.sling.com/message/2441

If you like to tinker, the support docs I linked to in that thread should help get you started.

Hope this helps,

- Az

gnm313

I think you will definitely see an improvement.  If you are like me, you are doing VGA to composite from your PC.  The slingcatcher has component, s-video and even HDMI.   Assuming bandwidth is not your issue, the slingcatcher will almost certainly give you a better picture.  I saw a definite difference at home, but I haven't yet tried it remotely.

gordonc

Guys,

Thank you for your input.  For the time being I am going with a PC to TV connection, but switching to an HDMI rather than a VGA connection.  Hope that helps some.  I still think that upload/download speed is the primary key

Gordon

eferz Expert

You never did mention which Slingbox you had.  I would have told you to get the Slingbox Pro-HD (if you didn't already have one) since its the only Slingbox capable of output resolutions higher than 640x480.  Of course, that would be limited to the available bandwidth speeds and the hardware of client.  It would have been a better investment than the now discontinued SlingCatcher.

gordonc

Thanks,  I have a slingbox classic, have been using it for 5 years.  Only in the last year or so have I addressed the bandwidth issues.  Will try what I have this winter and then decide what further upgrades to make.  Some speed tests have indicated that my limiting factor may be my download speed at the other end, until recently I know it was upload speed.

Gordon