5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2011 8:45 PM by BrandonC RSS

Slingbox HD performance

pennste Newbie

I will say at the beginning that I have been a Slingbox fan for years having acquired one of the first boxes produced. Currently I have 5 Slingboxes (some new and old) including a HD and want to focus on the HD performance. I have two locations that I connect using this technology. The HD is connected to a Directv DVR in Illinois. Internet provider there is ATT Uverse with 15 med download and 1.5 or so upload. I also have a Vulkano in the same location, also connected to another Directv DVR. In CA I have Verizon FIOS with ~30 meg download and ~7 med upload. The comparison of quality in not even close. The Vulkano has better video and audio when connected to a Mitsubishi 73" HD televsion. I am so disappointed that the Sling product cannot provide comparable performance as I bought the HD unit to replace an original Slingbox HD unit thinking it could use the bandwidth more effectively.

Has anyone done any comparable comparison between the two products and if so, have you had similar experience or have you found a way to drive good quality with the Slingbox HD unit?

BTW, I tried the Logitech Revue unit and its not worth the price of admission for sure.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: Slingbox HD performance
          BrandonC Novice

Apparently you have you computer out connected to your TV? Are you connecting via the stand alone PC player or web browser?

I sure they don't want to get into product comparisons here so I won't get into that. What resolution are you getting on your HD (Alt-Shift-I) on PC player and Ctrl-left click in web browser?

1.5 upload is not quite enough to get the full Pro HD experience but you should still be able to get nice video at the next lower resolution.

pennste Newbie

Brandon

Yes, when driving a HD TV I connect to a HDMI port on a laptop or desktop. I have both PC Player and Web browser interface. Below is a snap of the statistics from both. I tried the Logitech Revue and it is totally a piece of junk at this point. I have just about every device Sling made and just don't understand how Vulkano can provide a better quality picture than Sling when all elements are identical unless they just can do better compression on the link and get more out of the bandwidth available. I would get a higher speed connection in my Illinois home if it were available but nothing is available from anyone there.

Thanks for your response.

Jim

PC Player

sling.JPG

Web browser

sling web.JPG

OvCollyer Apprentice

I don't have a Vulcano, but I do have a Slingbox Pro-HD.

What I keep reading is that at lower bitrates the Vulcano willl produce a superior quality picture, but it cannot stream HD. It will be interesting if they add proper HD support especially as they have a proper hardware equivalent of the Slingcatcher, which Sling decided to ditch.

My experience of the Slingbox Pro-HD is that it can stream HD in either 720p or 1080i but unless you have a stable 3mbps upload connection it's not perfect. I currently have about 1.7mbps and although it's fine for slow moving video it becomes very jittery for sports or even slightly faster moving action.

I'd also maybe experiment with switching your cable box to output in 720p or 1080i. This will change the 'Best/HD' resolution in the web player from 1280 x 720 (720p) and 1920 x 544 (1080i).

I find a brighter crisper picture from my UK Sky+ HD box when told to output 1080i. This might be because when I tell the Sky box to output in 720p it has to downscale from the 1080i that it is broadcast in and doesn't do a great job.

Finally, avoid any further scaling by your TV or computer - in my case I'm receiving a 1080i stream from my Pro-HD so my Mac Mini, which plays the stream, is set to a resolution of 1920 x 1080 so that no additional scaling is needed.

pennste Newbie

Brandon

Thanks again for the technical advice. The Vulkano has a 720x480 top end for video but that resolution is better than the Sling HD at any resolution. Really hard to tell what Sling's long term strategy might be these days other than hoping someone acquires them I guess. I love the technology, just want it to advance a bit faster I guess. Happy New Year!

Jim

BrandonC Novice

pennste wrote:

Brandon

Thanks again for the technical advice. The Vulkano has a 720x480 top end for video but that resolution is better than the Sling HD at any resolution. Really hard to tell what Sling's long term strategy might be these days other than hoping someone acquires them I guess. I love the technology, just want it to advance a bit faster I guess. Happy New Year!

I am extremely familiar with both the Vulkano and Slingboxes. I have worked with both companies and they both have pluses and minuses. I am hoping Sling will come out with some newer hardware that uses the latest chipsets available soon that will help with the lower upload speed issues.