14 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 11:52 AM by marlbrook RSS

Resetting during Digital antenna scan

feyaz

My slingbox stopped working, i got a warning to update my plugin in firefox so i did so - since then I am unable to scan for channels on the DVB (digital antenna) option - analog works fine.

It gets to 24% hangs for a bit then the box resetarts - tried on 2 pc's on chrome and firefox

I've tried all the usual things - I've ever tried both my slingbox classics. I've tried a different antenna too.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance

• Re: Resetting during Digital antenna scan
          rack Newbie

Seen this too ... attributed it to digital switch over.

My PVr shosed up same time needing firmware upgrade.

Think some Classics may no longer be able to be scanned.  Sling not replying so assume it is a case of unsupported legacy model.

Brill.

simonirwin

There are now several threads discussing this.

I confirm that there is nothing wrong at your end. There is an introduced ( early December ) incompatibility between Slingbox Digital Antenna Scanning and the current way the UK is describing its channels over the air.

The only workaround until either the UK Authorites change back whatever alterations they made, or Sling Media provide a patch to solve it, is to follow another poster's advice about pulling the aerial out mid-scan until the scan passes the freeze point, then putting it back in to pick up stations from the remaining multiplexes. You won't get stations from the SDN multiplex, but apart from ITV3, there's not much there anyway ( 5* perhaps )

feyaz

I found a solution. It's not a problem with the multiplexes it's an antennuation problem.

Buy an adjustable antennuator off eBay for about £3.

Sorted!

memfis

Hi, my issues are back again probably for quite a while, I tend to avoid the slingbox these days so haven't noticed.

with roughly 18db of attenuation I get 8 channels.

more than 18db attenuation I don't get any channels

less than 18db it crashes and resets.

with no attenuation it crashes at the first multiplex it finds.

I've had several people ask me how I'm watching TV on my laptop recently. I've told each one to avoid slingbox.

Sling... you could have been great, shame you're losing a whole nation, and not even an official answer.

Sling media : Perhaps you could put up a sign for us : "If you're in the UK sling media don't care". (preferably before anyone else buys this rubbish).

bobg8zwf Newbie

Quite honestly, while I did not comment at the time, I do not think that adding the attenuator has anything to do with resolving the problem, it only masks the problem.

All the attenuator is doing, is to prevent the tuner from seeing "some" of the mux's and therefore the box does not crash so readily. In fact this is implied by your comment about the number of channels you can tune sucessfully.

Arqiva have done tests themselves (they provide the transmitter signals in UK and use Slingboxes to monitor remote sites). They confirm that the problem is because Sling does not conform the the UK requirements of number of channels within a multiplex.

Unfortunately, Sling have chosen to NEVER respond to the issue, neither to acknowedge the problem, nor to correct the firmware.

I have offered to fix it, if they will send me the source code, but again deaf ears.

I do not know how to get Sling to respond, but I would guess they will do something if enough people complain (but I won't hold my breath!)

I understand that Freeview requires a full re-tune today, for sure there will be many problems with Slingboxes - if the number of channels has increased.

I still use my 'box - pro sometimes, but mainly I use my Echostar HDS600RS, which does not have the problem and is more reliable.

But Slingbox tuners used in UK do not appear to be fit for purpose. The sad thing is that they only need a firmware correction.

I expect Sling will delete this so grab it while you can!

GTD

I've got the same issue and followed all of the advice on the website (re connecting directly to the router etc) but no joy. 

I'm very disappointed as it has been a great box and worked well up until now.  I was performing the mandatory digital retune following the reorganisation of freeview channels and now can't get any of them (as it crashes / disconnects at 42%).

Hopefully since the retune is mandatory in the UK, Sling will support their customers and provide a firmware / software update that will allow the device to be used for one of its primary purposes (fingers crossed).

On another note, I've just upgraded my sky to multiroom HD and was going to get a second slingbox to connect to the new sky box; however, I've put that idea on hold until we know it will work. I'm assuming that the money I've invested in the extras - blackberry, iPhone and iPad mobile players (c£20 each) is not waisted and a simple fix will be forthcoming from our friends at sling media.

simonirwin

You CAN still use your Slingbox and get it to tune, but you will just miss out on one multiplex.

The problem is that the SDN multiplex has been changed to have over 32 channels in it. Sling software crashes when this is the case.

The only workaround until Sling Media provide a patch to solve it, is to follow another poster's advice about pulling the aerial out mid-scan until the scan passes the freeze point, then putting it back in to pick up stations from the remaining multiplexes. You won't get stations from the SDN multiplex, but apart from ITV3, there's not much there anyway ( 5* perhaps )

GTD

Thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try. 

Hopefully a patch or update will be released soon, which will allow us to receive all channels.

I also wonder if it is an issue with the new Pro HD etc or just the older devices. I was thinking about adding a second device, but don't want to just now if there is still an issue with the new models.

Thanks again.

GTD

Many thanks simonirwin.  I followed the advice of unplugging the antenna at the point where it sticks (42%) on my box.  I had to run the setup a couple of times as my box also stuck on 54%; however, following this advice i've now managed to retune the device with most of the channels present.

Many thanks again for the tip, it really works.

Hopefully sling media will release an update for the firmware / software that stops us having to use this (great) workaround and missing a few channels.

mattbunce Newbie

Hi All

Please see my post here - I think I might have found what might be going wrong.

Please reply and let me know

• your rough location
                            • which transmitter your aerial points to
                            • the percentage that the scan fails at

I can then check to see if your problems are the same as mine that I discuss in my post.

marlbrook Newbie

Someone from SLING has at last posted an acknowledgement about the Freeview tuning issue.
                              https://community.sling.com/message/93569

and on a few other threads.

Pleased to get some acknowledgement from the Company, after two years.

I wonder if anyone believes it is a total coincidence that this momentous admission comes after the campaign has begun to bring this matter to much wider attention especially to potential new customers?

If, like me, you can see that there is a link, then PLEASE help me keep the pressure up. Having an acknowledgement after all this time is one thing, getting the Company to bother to get the HD and HD-PRO boxes fixed for existing customers is another matter.

https://community.sling.com/message/93136