37 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2013 1:55 PM by marlbrook Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Slingbox Pro stopped working

gridgway Newbie

Using a slingbox in the UK for about a year just with the freeview channels ie a coax antenna.

Suddenly it will only find the 5 analog channels.

I tried re-scanning but it'll only scan the coax input as analog (giving the analog channels).  If I re-scan telling it that is has a digitial antenna connected, it stops communicating.

After several attempts, I tried the factory reset and setting up from scratch.  It gets to the scan and gives up again.  Then it won't let me back in saying the password I entered is incorrect.  As that's the password that I just gave it as part of the initial setup, that is weird too.

Any ideas on how to diahnose this problem?

Thanks

Graham

• Re: Slingbox Pro stopped working
          Novice

Hi gridgway,

What I'm getting from your post, is that you're missing channels after running the Setup Assistant.

In this case, I would recommend to follow the next steps.

Some of my channels are missing in SlingPlayer. I can view them the regular way on my TV, so what's going on?

Channel lineups or channels missing/unavailable in the SlingPlayer onscreen guide

Also, make sure about hardwired connections between the Slingbox and computer to the main router, a wireless connection might affect the Setup Assistant, besides that (and for the password issue) discard any streaming restriction or firewall preventing the unit to work properly.

Regards.

gridgway Newbie

Hi and thanks very much for the ideas.  The first link tells me how to get the slingbox to rescan.  What I have discovered is that if I set the input to be coax/analogue and scan, I get the UK terrestrial analogue channels.

If I set it to coax/digital for UK Freeview, the scan doesn't complete and the slingbox stops responding.  That happens if I reset to factory settings as well.

I can only assume that the digital tuner has become faulty.  The slingbox degraded over a couple of weeks.  Channel changing was unreliable and finally the remote keypad stopped being displayed.

Nothing specific has changed in my network.  The configuration of the slingbox is done via the wired part.  It's normally viewed from a specific wireless laptop.

I think that it has suffered a hardware fault.  As the UK warranty is two years, I was going to follow the warranty process.

Would you suggest this or other course of action?

Thanks

Graham

bobg8zwf Newbie

Graham

Before assuming this is a hardware issue, have a read of this thread..

Tuner bombs out (when retuning) at 76% stating connection is lost.

It sounds like you could have a similar issue.

Bob

gridgway Newbie

I've posed the question to support who were very friendly!  So just waiting to hear what the plan of action is.

Graham

gridgway Newbie

No response yet, all quiet on the western front.

I've got a specific usage for my slingbox at home which there are potentially other solutions for.  As I am an impatient so and so, I've ordered something else to do it for me (or rather Mrs R as it's set up for her use).  So when that comes, the slingbox will go on ebay.

Graham

jackosling

Is it possible to report this to consumer watchdogs......from reading all the threads, it seems basically all slingbox pro users got cheated out of their money.  What's the point of advertising that they have a freeview tuner in the slingbox and then finding out not soon after that it only works for a short period of time for whatever reason......what a waste of money, a bit of a con really.......at the very least they could show they are trying to rectify the problem, but as you said quiet on the western front. 

Jack

gridgway Newbie

Just spoken to the very friendly Wolfgang in support who is going to email me with some diagnostic questions later today.

He assured me that there are people working on the problem as it affects multiple users.  So that's good news.

Graham

bobg8zwf Newbie

Also Aqiva (transmitter management company) were working on the transport stream yesterday (possibly with Slingbox) to resolve the problem.

Bob

bobg8zwf Newbie

11:45am 10 Jan. UK time . Just retuned sucessfully without any crash.

Others please try and confirm.

Bob

gridgway Newbie

will try later on this evening when I get home.

Graham

DRKENNETH

I have tried everything they have suggested except hiring them to try and fix it.  If you hire Slingbox they do not guarentee to fix the problem.  They said if the box was bad they would give me a small discount on buying a new one.  If the new one only lasts about 10 months, I do not want another one.  It is too early to tell if all this by Slingbox is really a sofisticated con job.

KWH

gridgway Newbie

Yours is a different problem from the freeview-non-scanning one I assume?  Are you in the US with the 1 year warranty?  It's 2 years here.  can you not make a warranty claim?

Graham

DRKENNETH

I am in the U.S. and by the time I had tried everything, the 12 months warrenty was up.  The problem in this country is that no one seems to have a background in working on Slingbox issues.  I personally work a lot with computers and work with people in various states that also work estensively with computers and all types of issues but no one that I can find say they know anything about these issues.  I never had any problems until I downloaded their upgrades.  Then everything went down.  It works fine at the base station but not on the road.  When on the road, I can pull in the stations with reasonable streaming depending upon the internet speed but it only will stay on for just a few minutes and then goes off.  It will stay on for hours at the base station but I really do not use it much at all at the base station.

simonirwin

Confirmed fixed !!    ( 10th Jan 2012 evening UK time )

jackosling

Confirmed this end also, the freeview scan now works.  It did slow down at 24% but after waiting a little bit, it did not show an error and continued through to 100%.

Thanks everyone, and a big thanks to Slingbox for making me swallow my words.  Its one time I am completely glad I was wrong.

jackosling

I may have to take half of my celebrations back.  Only the standalone slingviewer can now see my slingbox, however you cannot watch the slingbox from the slingbox website online viewer.......anyone else have the same issue.....any ideas?

.....on saying that it is good to be able to watch freeview on the standalone again.

gridgway Newbie

Re-scanned mine late last night and it's all working too.  Much appreciate it being fixed however that happened.

An whilst not seeming to be ungrateful, and of course getting it fixed trumps all, as I mentioned to Wolfgang yesterday we would have had a much happier time with just a tiny bit of feedback from Mr Slingbox.  Seems such a waste of a lovely "Social CRM" Jive-based support initiative to not communicate at least an update.

So hopefully a tiny bit of constructive critisism is not unwelcome.

And thanks for the efforts of the people on the couple of threads discussing the problem as well.

Now that my wife can watch the TV again, the supply of ironed shirts should re-commence!

Graham

bobg8zwf Newbie

Guys

Here is information as to the reason for the problem.....

quote from email I just received....

"This came down to the number of services in a particular multiplex exceeding 32.  The number of services have now been reduced to below 32 but not because of the Slingbox problem but through operation requirements and this is not sustainable in the future.

Slingbox will need to update their software as this will happen again in the future and the UK DTT specification allows for up to 64 services in a multiplex.

Arqiva will take up with Slingbox as far as they can." endquote.

So, the issue is resolved in the short term, but Slingbox MUST resolve the problem in their firmware and permit it to accept up to 64 services in any multipex.  As you can see from the above text, Slingboxes are not working according to the specification. Slingbox please comment!

Pleased I could help.

Bob

slingitnow123

Hi Bob

Does your explanation coincide with my latest problems with my slingbox pro?

Has sling ignored your advice,,,,

See my previous posts to this forum below   sorry for the mass of text...

Before you ask... no replies from sling, not a thing... .

No1

I have read all the discussions and messages to the various errors  since the weekend. I have tried remotely and lan connected, online setup  and all desktop players, mac and pc, to get my slingbox to scan the  channels completely.

For the online setup

It freezes at 25% everytime then say a few minutes later that the connection was poor on the internet...  no way

mac desktop player

scanning gets stuck at 26% then complains about the connection

pc desktop player

does the countries code complaint or the resource failed to load message.

My  slingbox did have all the channels on it apart from those lost ffor a  few weeks, such as BBC2. So just before doing the first attempt at  rescanning the slingbox was fine............ As you can imagine, I have  no channels to watch now as the scan can never complete... until sling  fix the problems

tried resetting a number of times too....

Ever  since the digital change over, stage2, all scanning functions won't  complete ....FACT. Friend locally has the same outcome so there is no  chance both boxes broke the same time.

I  have been patient watching these support threads till now.....but as no  scanning solution works!! not even the online version!!  here I am!

Looking forward to a new firmware or solution from sling

Dave

No2

An update for you....
                                                  It seems that some of the error codes have disappeared on the pc tuner setup...
                                                  BUT the channel scanning still freezes around 25% - 26%, whether it be  mac or pc desktop players, online setup, local or remotely  connected.....

Please let me know why all scanning now fails.
                                                  Extra note:   If I unplug the aerial at 22% and put it back in at 32% I do get some channels...
                                                  This is of course not satisfactory  BUT it proves the slingbox hardware is fine.

Please tell me what is going on to fix your services.

The digital feed when scanned on a Sony DVBT box, samsung and panasonic tvs all work fine using this actual coax connection.

I have received a couple of emails on this from other users that get EXACTLY the same situation...since the stage2 changeover.

Its been quite a few days now with no reply from sling

Why not have a go yourself at getting my box to tune yourselves?

or even an acknowledgement about the fault.

If  you check out the log files for my slingbox you will see that no  channels are available. After all, these logs are retrieved from your  own servers.

Dave

Dave

bobg8zwf Newbie

It sounds to me like it is exactly same type of problem. Have you tried the trick mentioned by others, to pull the antenna cable out just before the point of the lock up, then as soon as the tuning has stepped on, plug the antenna back in.

This way will miss some channels, but will not freeze on an "unsuitable/incompatible" multiplex. Also, this will prove if it is the same issue as we had in December.

I never got any response at all from Sling, no acknowledgment of the issue, nothing.

My pro continues to work fine at the moment, I have not tried to retune it recently, but I also purchased an HDS600 box, also works very well.

Bob (currently in Longkou, China)

gridgway Newbie

I've had to retune because of the "changeover" and it worked although we haven't got all the channels.  As we have to retune again on the 18th, I've not bothered to put any effort in to solving that problem.

As for the "too many services on a multiplex" problem, I never heard anything either even though I managed to log a support call.  Complete silence from Mr Sling.

The only thing that seems to happen with any reliability is the deletion of posts in any way critical of Mr Sling.....

Graham

mattbunce Newbie

Hi All

Please see my post here - I think I might have found what might be going wrong

Please reply and let me know

• your rough location
                                                    • which transmitter your aerial points to
                                                    • the percentage that the scan fails at

I can then check to see if your problems are the same as mine that I discuss in my post.

marlbrook Newbie

Sorry to have to tell you that you cannot expect any reply, help, or even an acknowledgement from any one at the Company regarding this issue, especially on this Forum.

It is a problem that has been spreading with the SlingBox PRO and PRO-HD for almost 2 years. It is a firmware matter a but despite being fundemental to the advertised properties of the boxes, or perhaps because it is, SlingMedia will not discuss it here.

You will see that they reply to many threads on the Forum about other matters, and must have monitored the threads regarding the Freeview Tuner, but have steadfastly ignored it.

Look at:-

https://community.sling.com/message/93136

In particular look at my last comment, and if you ever hope for the matter to be resolved consider the action I have suggested there.

AND the earlier posts at
                                                      https://community.sling.com/message/74681

marlbrook Newbie

The tuner issue has been fixed by a firmware update for the HD-Pro only.

The PRO has been classified as a 'legacy' product and no longer supported.

Strange as it is still being sold 'new' in the UK by Maplin and Amazon.

See my post:-

https://community.sling.com/message/97879