8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2012 12:30 PM by leslaw RSS

Will boxee box improve my picture quality?

KiawahMike

For remote hook up at my vacation home I'm currently using a computer to send the picture to large (50") screen LCD TV through the DMI output on the video card of the computer..  50"TV picture is quite "grainly" will using the Boxee Box as the source improve picture quality??  I do have sufficient speed on my DSL to support HD transmission.  Yes, I'm usnig Slingbox HD-Pro as the source.  I believe the video card supports HD (after all it has an HDMI port).  All other video - You Tube, E mail .WMV files all look sharp on the screen.  Slingbox looks like a color picutre from a 1980 remote sports broadcast.

• Re: Will boxee box improve my picture quality?
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Is this using the desktop Slingplayer software or the web player? Are you using a Mac or PC?

Presumably you've got whichever player you are using set to the highest resolution...?

How does the picture when viewed on the computer look compared to those YouTube, Email, .WMV files?

KiawahMike

Desktop software on windows 7 PC.  Set to HD res, stated .wmv, YouTube and other sources look awesome, only Slingbox is grainy.  Will Boxee Box offer significant improvement?

OvCollyer Apprentice

I don't have a Boxee so can't say for sure, but if your Slingbox Pro-HD is streaming at its highest resolution then I can't really see how the Boxee slingplayer could get a picture of a higher quality than your Windows machine.

Perhaps someone with a Slingplayer on a Boxee can comment.

Ignoring your TV for a minute - is the Slingbox picture still poor on your computer compared to YouTube etc? Or does it only degrade when you hook it up to your TV?

KiawahMike

Computer is hooked up to Sony XBR 52" using it as monitor.  It's a HDMI connection from the computer to the TV so there's no signal degredation there.  We're receiving the signal through the internet, so there is a router and hub involved.  Now I'm wondering if either could be a "choke point".

I'm very disappointed in the remote picture quality I'm streaming from the Slingbox Pro HD as the "source".  The picture quality on the home network is flawless.  So I'm trying to get my arms around what's wrong.

I'm looking at adequate upload speeds at the source and download speeds at the remote location.  So now I'm wondering if the problem is the router, hub, video card???? at the remote location.  Although all that seems to go away in terms of the problem if I'm getting You Tube and Netscape at high reolutions. ?????

Apprentice

Hi KiawahMike and OvCollyer, the Slingplayer for Connected Devices can be used in the Boxeebox and it will provide you a very good picture quality in your TV, you need to make sure that you meet all the requirements listed here:

Boxeebox Requirements.

Regards.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Unfortunately the web page you are directing us to doesn't work for me at least.

Or rather, it appears briefly and then disappears saying the page isn't found.

I think you are using some sort of IP check to hide some pages as I've noticed this before.

Perhaps the Boxee app is for US-based customers only or something?

dondadasan

Hi,

Would anyone know if Boxee will be better quality than SlingCatcher ?

I currently own several SlingCatcher and recently upgraded my TV from basic 50hz TV to 200hz LED TV and noticed that i can play the SlingCatcher in a highest bandwidth (HD 1280 x 540version). Before it used to chop and freeze occasionally so i need to reduce the quality (Sling pro-HD is located in Japan and remotely watching from UK). so it wasn't all about having super speed broadband.

Currently playing on the PC is better than TV, not the picture quality it self but on TV it slow down/smoke up every 5 to 10 seconds for 1 to 2 seconds or so, this is annoying, i don't know if too much data is trying to flow or something...

Wondering if Boxee elimiate this problem ?

leslaw

I have a question I been using boxee, everything being working great expect picture I can't get eliminate black bar bottom of my screen abute 3"

Any advise?

thanks